boxelder bugs infesting my room
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy boxelder bugs infesting my room

two nights ago I had a nightmare where bugs were crawling all over me. I woke up and realized that I wasn't dreaming. Since then I've slowly been noticing more and more boxelder bugs appearing in my room. I've had horrifying experiences with these bugs at our last house, just writing about it brings back repressed memories. I don't want to relive any of those experiences.

I only see them in my room (of course), which is in the basement. There is a window in my room, and we also have an extreme problem with water leakage in my room- which might have something to do with the bugs.

I'm looking for something, anything to kill/repel these bugs away from my bedroom. Even something as weak as an essential oil. I'm also willing to try chemicals as long as they don't give me tumors or seizures or anything.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have these darned things all over my yard. They aren't biters, but drive me crazy. They are all over the outside walls of the house when it gets hot out. I had to pull up bushes in my back yard that they were living all over. I had literally millions of them, the sound of them all crawling together was loud! I had them crawling up my pants leg. Yuck! I hope you find a way to get rid of them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have had this problem too. We moved into a house that had been abandoned for a couple of years. There were box elder bugs EVERYWHERE! It was really bad. They were in every room, in every window, on ceilings, cupboards, yuck...it basically gave me nightmares imagining them crawling on us in our sleep-getting in our mouths, up our noses...you get the picture, lol. I vacuumed ALL the time, tried sprays of all kinds but nothing helped. My neighbor told me that her mom used a mixture of Tide detergent and water in a sprayer. Said it would kill them but all I got out of it was smeared windows and wet bugs. I didn't really give it much of a chance though. I didn't like the mess I had created so I never tried again. My husband ended up caulking every single window, crack, and crevice he could find and believe me there were a ton in this old farm house. Now I only see 1-2 a month. I know that doesn't help you any, but the only thing that helped here was caulking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

okay I didnt know what they were. I have ladybugs at my house. I think I wont complain about my ladybugs anymore. Those look creepier!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ladybugs are so cute and eat aphids. But I wouldn't want them all over either lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by hmcart View Post
    okay I didnt know what they were. I have ladybugs at my house. I think I wont complain about my ladybugs anymore. Those look creepier!
    There is a species of ladybug that is a huge pain in our area. They swarm all over the outside of the house every autumn and come inside. This year we didn't have many of them, but a ton of boxelder bugs instead.

Asian Lady Beetle Infestation Of Structures | University of Kentucky Entomology

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow. sorry that's happening...

I think you need to seal up all the cracks. and a basement is full of cracks.

Huggs to you. (followed by bug spray )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have these in abundance as we have the tree they like right next to our house. I don't mind them as they don't bite, eat my stuff, make noise, or smell. I just leave them be but they drive my husband crazy. He had them at his previous place, as well, and they would get on him at night. Caulking up entry areas and killing them seems to be the only way to curb them unless you want to pay to treat outdoor areas. Our budget's too tight for that right now and I really would rather treat the yard for fleas than those box elder's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have an infestation last winter in my upstairs bathroom. HORRIBLE!!! I was killing 10-15 of them a day.

Thank goodness they seem to be gone this winter.

They were all over the side of my house all summer long. I thought for sure this winter was going to be awful.

I have goosebumps just thinking about those gross buggers!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is so ironic that I started seeing them come back today from wherever they hide when it gets cold. UGH! I was stepping on them all over my driveway today.