Getting rid of ants?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Getting rid of ants?

HELP! Some of you know we just moved a little over a week ago. When moving in we discovered that we inherited a massive flea problem with the house we bought (exterior of house, garage, and utility room). We had to have a professional come spray last week and they had to come again yesterday. As a result of yesterday's spraying we now have ants almost everywhere INSIDE the house! I am furious to say the least and heartbroken. I don't want more chemicals being sprayed and certainly not in the house - they couldn't spray anyway because the house is just a sea of boxes and we are unpacking as quickly as we can.

What can we do? We haven't been able to find where they are coming in.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear about all that mess.

We get ants every year. To avoid spraying around DD and the cats, we use those little white ant traps, and we put them down into the heat registers. This works for us, as that's where the ants come into our house. We just change the traps every couple of months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Terro works well, but you've got to keep kiddos and animals away from it.....

Coffee grounds work well and are non-toxic....it would certainly help if you knew where they were coming in from though.....maybe sprinkle some grounds in the "typical" entry places....

I've also heard the same thing about Borax as well....

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Borax kills everything! It is great but do not let pets get it and it can make kids sick as well. (it even kills plants! you see the borax area in CA! NOTHING grows anywhere neat it!)
    For sugar ants my old boss poured boiling water on the ant line. I worked well and only had to be redone every 6 weeks or so.
    Fleas i have no clue on though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used the stuff like Terro, that they take back to teh nest and kill the queen. Works but not for carpenter ants. Check with the extirminators, becasue they shouldn't have just driven them indoors and indoor ants are often carpenters.

Ok fleas my sister swears by this and she's done it lots.

Buy lots of the cheap vacuum bags. Whenever you vac, you use a fresh bag and when you are done, DON't put the vac away without taking the bag out and tie it up securely in a trash bag with no holes (good quality one, not a store grocery bag) and leave in the sun to bake the fleas to death. Then into the trash can.

The fleas are hungry and worse when you just move in, lots hatch in humid weather, and also if you do a carpet cleaning you get a good hatch.

They can live for a long time without food, and get really bitey and hungry when new people move in after the house has been empty.

You keep at it, and eventually you will vacuum out the fleas.

If you have dogs, they need flea collars or something to prevent new life cycles of fleas to re infest the carpets.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone. Dh called the pest control company and they said we've had such dry weather that it didn't surprise them to hear that spraying yesterday drove them inside in search of water.

We don't have fleas in the house - thank goodness! The former owner's dogs were outside dogs and unfortunately it's taking professional spraying to get rid of them (the dogs were allowed in the garage, utility room, and liked to hang around near the house in all the shaded areas).