Fleas

Thread: Fleas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Fleas

We have been using Frontline Plus on our dog for fleas, it always worked but isn't working now. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh boy, fleas are such a pain...... . I'd talk to my vet about the frontline not working. I've done a little bit of all of the other stuff. The shampoos, the sprays, the collars.....but the once monthly stuff works the best for us. It also helps to spread the diazon granules on your yard. I know it's a chemical but if you can't control them any other way sometimes that's the only thing that really, really helps. I hope you get it figured out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We use it as well and it has stopped working on our dogs. Our vet's office told us that two things are happening......... 1.) Due to the hurricanes last year, the flea problem is at an alarming level this year (I don't understand how they are related, but that was the main reason they gave us) and 2.) they are suspecting that over time dogs can build up sort of an immunity to Frontline and it stops working as well.

We have been trying a variety of things to help. First the vet's office suggested we try switching to Advantage (I believe that's the one - dh brought home some info about it and I don't know where he put it). What I don't like about that is it's for fleas only and not ticks (Frontline is for both). It doesn't appear we have much choice though. We also purchased a product from our vet's office called Capstar (a pill) that helps for a while. It's in such high demand they are having trouble keeping it in stock. We also give our dogs brewer's yeast and garlic tablets (just put them in with their food each morning). We buy those at Pet Supermarket and give 1 tablet for every 10lbs. that the dog weighs daily (we give them all at breakfast and are done for the day). You can also try putting a little bit of vinegar in your dog's drinking water.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I think I might try the Advantage!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we use to use either regular Pamolive dish soap, and when the were new and easier to find we bought a box of the Pamolive disposable clothes and kept then in the bathroom to wash her with. They were like a magnet to the fleas and she smelled good to

Hope you find something that works well for you.