Help have fleas!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    We started using food grade DE on our cats. I got a 50 lb bag for under $20. It is working way better than Frontline.

You put the DE in an old spice container and sprinkle some out into your hand. You then pet your cat and rub the dust in. Try not to make it "puff" because DE is bad for everyone's lungs. Dust their legs and tail too.

DE is diatamaceous earth. And, I can never spell "diatamaceous" correctly. I can spell "DE".
    THanks for posting this, I was wondering if it truly worked and plan to use it when I move back East, just based on this website I found about it. Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits

Do you put it around your house too? I heard to sprinkle it around outside of the house, baseboards, entry ways, etc. I don't want the house to be totally "dusty" but I am really not looking forward to fleas!
    I've lived in a higher altitude area of Colorado, with 5 dogs, and no fleas, its been WONDERFUL. I dread dealing with them when I move.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you put it around your house too?
    We just put it on the cats.

And, yeah, Frontline doesn't work as great as they say it should.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Get some Diatomatus Earth it's a powder you can get it at any health food store. It kills the fleas by ridding their body of the outer protective layer. I got some for my dog & cat got it when it was discounted! I've used it this summer on them it's very easy to apply. Hope this helps

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know if you are interested, but there is a pet food store near me and I talked to the owner about fleas because we too have not had fleas in years and my 1 dog got them. I used bio spot on the dog and the directions said to put it down their back once a month for 3 months. He said if there are more than a few fleas you need to bomb the house. He also told me to put flea powder in my vacuum cleaner bag everytime I change the bag. That way you will vacuum up the eggs and they will die.
    I know nothing about cats, so ask about this info for them.
    Hope this helps.
    Pam

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    We started using food grade DE on our cats. I got a 50 lb bag for under $20. It is working way better than Frontline.

You put the DE in an old spice container and sprinkle some out into your hand. You then pet your cat and rub the dust in. Try not to make it "puff" because DE is bad for everyone's lungs. Dust their legs and tail too.

DE is diatamaceous earth. And, I can never spell "diatamaceous" correctly. I can spell "DE".
    Where do you buy food grade de?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

FWIW, baby oil is just mineral oil, with perfume.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy it through AzureStandard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Please..Please do not put anything on them that you can buy at Walmart or similar store. Tried that years ago with my cat and almost killed her. Vet said no way to regulate dose, very dangerous to the pet. We use frontline. Sam's club has a genetic brand of Frontline at about 1/2 price. I have heard that it is the same product but would check with my vet before I used it. Saving a few bucks is not worth putting them in danger. Sorry I don't have better advise, but wanted to warn you about possible dangers out there in flea control.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my flea solution:
    1 lemon sliced
    1 qt boiling water
    I keep a qt mason jar for this purpose, put lemon slices in jar add boiling water let steep 24 hrs- strain, put in squirt bottle-or whatever container you have handly I use a old agave nectar bottle to apply, and apply after bathing, you can do this every day until the little buggers are gone then every other day...
    it sooth's the skin irritations on my dog buddy- he's an inside dog but several neighbors allow their pets to roam and they love my yard so they bring them down. took me almost 2 wks to get rid of his fleas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

I have three cats and we have had some pretty bad flea episodes, so bad in fact that my female cat had a recurring dermatitis on her back where they were biting her so bad she would get raw. It was really disgusting to the point that a flea comb would bring out tons of flea dirt and fleas (really gross.) Frontline definitely wasnt working. My vet told us to switch to Vectra- it is only sold by vets and the cost is about the same as frontline. Our flea problem has completely gone!!!
    The vet says the Vectra makes the cats "mobile exterminating units"- any flea or egg that comes into contact with the cat's fur is dead within 30 mins.So if the cat sits on the couch, any fleas or eggs on the couch will die. You get the picture. The product is applied in a similar fashion to frontline- the main dfference is that Frontline only kills fleas that bite. Vectra kills any flea that comes into contact.
    Great stuff!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123