I have three cats with lots of hair and Fleas!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I have three cats with lots of hair and Fleas!!!!

My cats all have fleas. They are all ten yrs old and have never had them before. I have tried stuff from Target and some frugal ideas of my mils but nothing is working. I finialy cracked and bought frontline to the tune of 51.00 . I cant afford 50 a month does anybody have any ideas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From what I understand you are going to have to get them out of the furniture, carpets, uphostery too. I could be wrong. Frontline the critters, and get rid of those that have spread out into the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are just getting over this issue also. So I feel for ya. What seemed to work for us is we used table salt all over the house. We let it set for about 3 hours. Vac. Repeat salt once a week for 3 weeks. You must vac everyday and wash everything your cats have touched.. Make sure you vac your furniture and beds. Finally after 3 weeks of this we won the fight. Hang in there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my, they have been on every inch of my house. I dont usualy allow them in the masterbed but Sometimes they sneak in. This is gonna suck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And if they go outside, you need to treat your yard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have three indoor/outdoor cats too. Our vet said the stuff you buy in grocery stores don't work-I learned the hard way too!

I buy my Frontline from independant sellers on amazon.com-whoever is selling it cheapest. The last time I got it (1 month ago) I bought a 12 month supply of Frontline Plus for $106.99 and got free shipipng. That time I ordered through discountpetsupplies. So the price goes down to $26.75 each month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Frontline works great, and so does Advantage (and Advantage is usually cheaper than Frontline). Don't buy the stuff from the store. It doesn't work (as you've found out) and it can be toxic to your cats, even though it's sold for cats. That goes for flea collars also.

If your cats don't go outside and you don't have other pets that go in and out, you MAY be able to get away with not applying it in the colder months or every other month. But believe me, keeping them on a good flea preventative is cheaper than dealing with the consequences.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Empty, dispose of, or seal off the vacuum bag (if you machine uses one) every time you vacuum. Adult fleas can easily crawl back out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This calls for all out war. These little pests are a formidable enemy and once established- fierce.Your weapon- BORIC ACID.Found at Dollar General at a cost of $2.00 for a big bottle. Or you can buy 20 Muleteam Borax at K- Mart or Wally.Follow the directions. You can use it around pets. This stuff will destroy ANY pests.Then do the Frontline or Advantage(Make sure it's the one that kills the flea eggs as well)I think we do the Advantage.I just do it during warm weather, not winter. Vacuum and wash, empty sweeper bag etc. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fleas
    Vacuum. Vacuum, remove the vacuum bag, seal it, and dispose of it immediately outside your home.

Vinegar. A ratio of 1 teaspoon vinegar to 1 quart water (per 40 pounds of pet weight) in their drinking water helps to keep your pets free of fleas and ticks.

Fennel, Rosemary, Red Cedar Shavings, Sassafras, Eucalyptus, or Pennyroyal. Spread leaves or shavings of these plants under and around the pet's bed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

PUT OUT THE ‘UNWELCOME’ MAT FOR PETS’ PESTS

Summer is here. Time for everyone to go outside — including family dogs and cats. Joining them in the great outdoors are fleas, ticks, and other annoying pests. There are dozens of commercial insect repellents on the market, but many of their ingredients are harmful to people and the environment.

FLEE, FLEAS!

It’s not easy to get rid of fleas. You must kill them, their eggs, and their larvae throughout your home and yard, as well as on your pet. This may require multiple treatments over several months — and some pretty toxic substances. Here are some alternatives:

h Natural insect repellents come in all forms — sprays, dusts, shampoos, soaps, collars, bed liners, and food supplements — each with its own application.

h Citrus oil, often in the form of the extract d-limonene, is one common ingredient of natural pesticides. It can kill fleas on contact. Another is pyrethrin, derived from chrysanthemums, which paralyzes fleas’ nervous systems. Still others include borax and salt, which dehydrate fleas; and soaps, which cause the fleas to suffocate or drown.

h Garlic and nutritional yeast can be added as a supplement to your pet’s food. It produces a body odor that repels pests (but usually isn’t noticeable to humans). A daily teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a pet’s food or water is another natural remedy.

CLEAN, INSIDE AND OUT

You also should look beyond your pet to ensure your home and yard aren’t attracting fleas:

h Vacuum rugs and furniture regularly, even daily, during warm months.

h Tuck cedar blocks or herbal sachets between the cushions of upholstered furniture. Some herbal powders can be sprinkled in bedding areas to repel fleas and ticks.

h Use cedar-filled bedding for animals, available at most pet supply stores. Bed covers should be laundered as frequently as possible— at least weekly — during flea season.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by annymoll View Post
    This calls for all out war. These little pests are a formidable enemy and once established- fierce.Your weapon- BORIC ACID.Found at Dollar General at a cost of $2.00 for a big bottle. Or you can buy 20 Muleteam Borax at K- Mart or Wally.Follow the directions. You can use it around pets. This stuff will destroy ANY pests.Then do the Frontline or Advantage(Make sure it's the one that kills the flea eggs as well)I think we do the Advantage.I just do it during warm weather, not winter. Vacuum and wash, empty sweeper bag etc. Good Luck!
    Wanted to add it's the Frontline Plus that kills both the fleas, and the eggs, on the pets.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Garlic can cause anemia in dogs and cats so I would consult your vet before you used that or any other "natural" remedy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The salt really does work! We've only had to do it a couple of times, I think enough stayed way down in the carpet that we just haven't had a problem since. Advantix is expensive, but great. We buy from the vet - the stuff in the pet store doesn't work and we found out at the vet's office that the mail-order places don't honor guarantees.

Good luck and hang in there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used baking soda on everything, kinda smothers the ones in the rugs and stuff. And then we just bought the advantix stuff off of ebay and the cost was a little cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast