Wetting in the house
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Wetting in the house

Bella, my rescue dog is the sweetest dog I have ever had. But after around 2 months she is still peeing in the house. She goes outside on a schedule and is fed on a schedule. She is healthy and active. But she has peed on every rug I own, and in every room. If someone leaves a towel or some clothing on the floor, she pees on it. And she is very sneaky. I have only caught her in the act one time. I immediately scolded her and put her outside.

She doesn't seem to know how to "ask" to go outside. She doesn't bark or scratch at the door. But she knows how to "ask" to come back inside.....

It's a total mystery to me. Maybe she was pad trained or even crate trained. I just don't know. We want to make every effort to resolve this, but I can't keep her in the house if we can't train her. HELP!!!!

If anyone has any ideas please post them. I'm at my wits end. My dh won't let us keep her if we can't resolve this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got my little yorkie mix as a 4 month pup (rescue). I have never ever had a hard time house breaking a dog including the adults I adopted until this little guy. It has taken over two years to get him to at least kind of tell me he has to go out. I taught every other dog to bark but now this guy. He will finally just stare at me.

However I of course do not always know when the little guy is starting. We tried crate training but that was useless with him. No matter how small the crate he pottied in it. I finally resorted to a piddle pad. Gross as it is When he did pee outside I stuck the pad on it to absorb it so he smelled himself on it. I put his bm on it also. It worked he went on the pad. I kept moving the pad closer and closer until it was outside. I still have an emergency pad for him in the laundry room~ just in case. It took forever to house break him but he is 90% dependable finally.

Has she been seen by the vet to make sure there is no infection etc? That will also make an animal pee all over.

Like I said I can't get my little guy to bark to go out but I taught all my others by getting them all wound up at the door and barking at them near the door when I could tell they needed to go. As soon as i got them wound up enough to bark I gave them a treat, praise, put them out and added more praise and another treat after they did their business.

Goo luck with Bella and thanks for rescuing her!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey New Leaf. First go to the vet and check for a bladder infection. The vet may be able to give you pads that color when there's infection. My cats pee on things to tell me a "message" but it may not be that.

Ther's about 1000 reasons she could be peeing (infection.jealousy, a smell leftover from a long gone pet,etc,)
    It's important not to yell.
    I had to do one of our pets in succession. The peed on item moved closer and closer to the door until it was outside. then it finally disappeared.
    Anything in the yard scare her?? Another dog or lawn mower,thunder at anytime?? My neighbor kicked the fence. Teaching my shepard to fear men. (thank you army guy).
    Go outside w/ the dog. praise outside peeing. Give a treat. Everytime. Then make it intermittent. Then when it's solid. Lose the treat. I taught mine w/ the word squat. I can get all 3 to simultaneously squat. (male incl. lol). Takes patience. Good Luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

frugalwarrior2, I would love to see all three dogs squat on command. You made me smile.....

BTW, Bella is 2 yrs or thereabouts.....

Bella was at the vet April 15 when she was spayed. But I will call tomorrow to see what they say about possible infection.

I plan on taking up the dining room rug for the summer, that is one place she keeps going back to.

She drinks alot (i mean alot) of water. I am going to put her water bowl up in the evenings to see if that helps too.

Thanks everyone. I don't want to have to find her a new home. I really love this dog. My dh is not happy though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good Luck. I know that can be nasty. They may smell some long ago animal on that rug. Ask the vet to check for cystic bladder and crystals in the urine. Hopefully not because it's chronic. See it alot in kenneled dogs.
    Did she do it before you fixed her?? Rescue dogs just have history.
    My most recent cat took 1 year to tame because she was wild. 5 years later she will fall back if I don't pay a lot of attention to her. By the way, I did animal rescue for several years. Just so you know I'm not just talking off handedly. Good Luck. I would hate if you had to rehome her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After making sure it's not a medical issue, I would look into crate training her. That is how we trained all of our dogs.

Although, if she's a small breed, she may just be hard to train. The smaller they are, the smaller their bladders are and the more often they have to go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep --with all the drinking, I was thinking bladder/kidney too. Be sure to mention to your vet about all the drinking......esp. if really excessive.

You didn't say how old she is....but sometimes that doesn't matter any way. Young dogs can have bladder problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had this issue with our rescue dog, Precious, for a while. We found that we had to confine her to a small space for a few months.

Whenever we weren't going to be around, we kept her in a pen (larger than a crate but still confined), and as soon as we saw her, we took her outside. Over time we expanded this to half a room, then a whole room. We praised her heavily when she went outside, and when we caught her going inside, we sharply said "NO!" and took her outside, even if it meant interrupting her business.

She's old, blind, half deaf and has no teeth, but EVENTUALLY she got it, and now we let her roam free all the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a Jack Russell that lives with my Mom. I moved and she didn't want to. We always had problems with her peeing in the house. It was completely random though. Sometimes she had an accident during the night when she couldn't get anyone awake and sometimes she just walked over to a rug or the middle of the floor and squated.

My mom's Cat passed away in January after several months of declining health. My dog hasn't had an accident since then and we have no idea why.

Maybe she just hasn't made the connection that she shouldn't pee in the floor and that she is supposed to pee outside.

Do you have other dogs that are house trained? Maybe you can borrow one for a few days to show her what to do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry if I didn't mention - Bella is around 2 yrs old. She and my other rescue dog stay outside when I am gone and inside when I am home.

Bella is sneaky, I have only caught her in the act one time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Get her checked for a UTI, if all is clear, do umbilical training.

When you are home and she's in the house, leash her to you. No matter what, she is with you. When she gets a drink, out she goes, when she looks like she might need to, out she goes. Everytime you go out, have her pee. even if you have to wait a while. When she pees, have a huge celebration, lots of "good girl" and a good treat immediately after she pees.
    If she has an accident, clean it up and move on. eventually she will associate going outside with good stuff.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with Greebo and mythreesons, either she goes in a crate, puppy pen, baby gated in the kitchen or she is leashed to you until she is housebroke. My dogs were not permitted for the most part to be in any carpeted rooms until they were housebroke, unless we were watching them, not watching tv or on the computer, watching *them* at all times.

The easiest way to housebreak her is to not let her make a mistake. Take her out every hour or hour and a half at first. Stay outside with her and tell her to "go potty" (or whatever you use) and when she does praise her big time and give treats. Then she can have alittle free time in the house, with supervision of course. She is not going in the house to be naughty, she just isn't housebroke yet or doesn't know how to let you know when she has to go. I have 4 dogs and they all let me know they have to go out a different way, you just have to fiqure out what her way is. Having her outside all day makes it easier for her to not have accidents but on the other hand it's not teaching her to wait until she can be let out, as crate training would do.

Just about every dog is trainable, it just takes alot of time and commitment on the owners part. Housebreaking is one of those time consumming things that owners must go through. I know, I adopted a 5 month old Boston Terror in January that I had to housebreak. I couldn't wait until he was housebroke so I could get my life back!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I llike the idea of umbilical (leash) training. She stays with me wherever I go anyway - even the bathroom. But somehow she is sneaking away long enough to pee. I am going to look at the crate training too. Although she sleeps in the bed w/me and dh and does not get off the bed all night. She is going to be hard to figure out, but I am really really trying.
    I took up the old rug in our dining room now. Now I just have 2 rugs in the house. I am keeping all towels picked up (kids throw them down) and having everyone keep their clothes picked up too.
    No accidents today , I was home all day and kept Bella in my sight at all times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't suppose a dog door is an option?

Mine all have the dog door if its nice out. If they can't have the dog door we'll have the occasional "mom was late getting home" accident which I feel terrible about when that happens, but that is always my fault and is not "discussed" with the dogs. No comments, nothing, 'cause I know I was the reason it happened. I'd say they are 100% housebroken, BUT, the Lhasa female will mark territory. (the newest softest blanket or doggy bed) Could your new one be marking?

I always thought just males did that but nope, my female, with all dogs spayed/neutered, marks stuff. I consider her housebroken because its only specific situations that she will do it.

Some breeds are more difficult, it seems. A friend of mine had a basset that took about 2 years to be just mostly trustworthy. I don't know how she survived, her OR the dog actually, ughhh. Her husband was at his wits end as well. HANG IN THERE.

Oh there are also products that remove the scent better than just carpet cleaner. If she seems to be targeting certain rugs, could try spraying them with one of the commercial cleaners specifically for dog urine smells. I think one of them is called OUT!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How do you know if it is "marking" vs. being "un housebroken"???

I have noticed that she really does not know how to ask to go out. I need to work on that with her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast