Walking Dog Complaint
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Walking Dog Complaint

We just got a new dog in our house and so far it's been exciting.

Anyway....now my question.

DH was walking the dog (it's a 8 lbs dog) on the sidewalk with a bag in his hand in case she needs to stop and do her business. So he's going by this house (2 houses up from us) and the lady tells DH "Don't walk your dog by my house and I don't want any Sh** in my yard." He looked at her and kept walking. He was totally in shock and didn't know how to respond.

Last time I checked, a sidewalk was public property. I have no intention on leaving stuff in her yard. The neighborhood is filled with dog walkers and they are all very responsible about picking up after their pets.

The nasty part of me wants to walk by her house each and every day. But then the other part says just walk on the other side of street to avoid confrontation. But then I think why should I have to walk on the other side? I have a right to use the sidewalk.

The kicker is........she has a dog too!

I'm interested in hearing how others would handle this.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Continue walking. The sidewalk is public and he has the right to be there. He's a responsible pet owner (leash + bag) so he is doing nothing wrong and there isn't a thing she can do if the dog does his business on the street side of the walk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm the kind of person who would just keep on walking my dog right by her house.

If she were to say anything else to me my response would be "Have a wonderful day and may God bless you." It's the way we (folks from my neck of the woods) tell someone to kiss off nicely. Most people who I have said this to after they made an ugly remark or obscene hand gesture to me are left speechless. They are expecting a nasty remark back and this throws them off their game.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I say keep walking your dog past her house...just dont let your dog do its business on her lawn. If she continually harasses you as you walk by - either try to talk with her to see what her concerns are OR get the authorities involved to explain she doesn't own the sidewalk.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lets see... a paper bag, a few "piles", a match....

oh wait, never mind. That might not be the right thing to do in this situation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are no sidewalks where I walk the dogs. I keep them on the road and return after the walk with bag and vehicle if needed.

Of course, the last two times I walked them, Zeus (tan one) tore up his front pads due to other unleashed dogs. The first time this little pug thing came right onto the road after us. The second time was kind of his own fault - little dog came up to edge of property line (off road) and yapped at Zeus, who got cranky and I kinda had to drag him off.

Then ended up carrying him home - knew he was hurty cause usually picking him up risks losing a hand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would walk wherever it's convienant to walk. So, if it's by her house, then that's what I would do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the others...
    the side walk is a public access area...and as long as your complying with city pet ordinances such as your pet being controlled with a collar and leash...AND leaving no pet waste anywhere...she has no grounds for ANY type complaint.

As with anything else...there are always gonna be those that just want to stir the pot and get drama started. Don't worry about it...

Next time she yells something profane at your or your husband...blow her a kiss and tell her to have a lovely day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Strangely enough, I had this exact same thing happen to me when I was a kid, over 30 years ago!! A woman yelling at me not to walk my dog past her house. I was just a kid at the time, maybe 10 or so, and I do remember telling her the sidewalk was public property but that didn't stop her demands and the unpleasantness. I was just a kid, didn't really know what to do, and don't think I told anyone, nor did I have many options for walking routes. What I ended up doing is picking up my dog (a little terrier) just before her house then walking past, then setting my dog down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Obviously she has had trouble with rude pets owners not carrying their bag and leaving droppings in her yard. You can't really blame her for being miffed about that. I'm miffed too when lazy dog owners leave droppings in my yard. I have a back yard to pick up, I don't want the front yard too. Now she didn't exactly approach it in the best way. In my area, if I could snap a picture, they would face a lovely fine. I don't know about your area. Do make sure you follow all the rules as you use the public sidewalk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGranola View Post
    Obviously she has had trouble with rude pets owners not carrying their bag and leaving droppings in her yard. You can't really blame her for being miffed about that. I'm miffed too when lazy dog owners leave droppings in my yard.
    I would keep walking whatever route you want to take........WITH YOUR BAGS IN HAND. I would also keep watch to see if and where she walks her dog.

I, too, am real tired of the LAZY pet owners......and not just dog owners. Cat owners are every bit as bad!! People here let their cats out in the evening (or early morning).........why clean a litter box when they can poop somewhere else and save them the trouble? Well........one cat, and I know who it belongs to,...doesn't even TRY to cover it up.......so it gets tossed back on their lawn......or weed patch as this case is. One spring I delivered a produce bag full of cat poop to one neighbor's porch.....and strangely enough.......haven't seen that cat.

I DO watch people if they are going by my property as I have some bushes out close to the road.........and have seen people let their dogs pee on them!! Not without a few words from me!!

why do people have to be so rude and TOTALLY THOUGHTLESS???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd keep walking on the sidewalk - it's public property.

but I'd agree that she probably has her fair share of people that don't clean up after their dogs -

we have dogs, but they use the back yard - so I get miffed if I have to clean up the front yard too - it's not my poo!

my mom's house is the same way - she has two small dogs that only use the back yard, but she has numerous dogs that come into her front yard - it's annoying.

I like the ASSumtions that my neighbor seems to have - she ASSumes that if there is a cat out & about, it must belong to me....

ummm... no - my cats are all indoors, thanks for assuming.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bumplett View Post

I like the ASSumtions that my neighbor seems to have - she ASSumes that if there is a cat out & about, it must belong to me....

ummm... no - my cats are all indoors, thanks for assuming.
    My neighbors have the same assumption about us. I have two cats, one never, ever goes outside. The other may go out for five minutes every three or four weeks and then I watch her the entire time because she is 17 years old.

Once my neighbor had afoul odor in the back of his yard. He came over to tell us about the smell in the back of his yard, it must be that one of our cats died there so we needed to check it out. I don't think so. Number one, it's your yard. Number two, my two cats were safely in my house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i probably woyuld have said "i always clean up after my dog so you are yelling at the wrong person " and just kept going.

if she did it again i would probably say the same thing - say i am legally allowed to walk my dog where i want and you are harassing me which is illegal .

In my area of NJ the sidewalks are ours- we are expected to keep them clean of snow and ice - etc and replace when they are cracked uneven etc... but i doubt i could tell someone they couldnt walk on it and had to go into the street to pass my house - that would be a whacky request anyway !!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momto5RN View Post
    i probably woyuld have said "i always clean up after my dog so you are yelling at the wrong person " and just kept going.
    I would continue to walk on the sidewalk by her house. It's a public way and I also agree with the poster above that if she continues to yell then I would comment and keep moving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast