Cat Update!

Thread: Cat Update!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cat Update!

So our little family has grown by one.

WELCOME DEXTER!

Now hereís how it happened. Ex came by Saturday with a box and a smile. OMG! Ex got my DS a cat without DS or I present. OMG! Ex also didnít listen to my *wants* for a family cat! OMG!

Needless to say Iím leading up to telling you all that Dexter is the complete opposite of everything that I said I was looking for in a cat! Heís soooo not a neutered or spayed & vaccinated adult from a shelter! Heís YOUNG like 7 weeks old YOUNG and a stray!! I was NOT a happy camper on Saturday and Iím still VERY unimpressed with the situation today. Ex did not give any money with the kitten to help out with initial kitten expenses and a baby this young will be expensive with needles and surgery! what a jerk! Anyhoo...

How does DS feel about everything well DS is absolutely smitten and is clearly Dexterís slave. Dexter seems to be adjusting well and is using his litter boxes (one upstairs & one downstairs) like a champ.

So here are some basic stats on our little boy- born the beginning of Nov. sometime so about 7-8 weeks old, yellow eyes, grey coat which seems to be short hair, slightly underweight but is eating, drinking and pottying regularly, very skittish but cuddly at the same time (weird to explain but understandable). NO fleas that I have seen and no funny business in his poop either.

Iíve got a Kitty Wellness visit booked for Dexter on Jan. 12th at which time I will schedule his beginning of April snip-snip surgery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Awww...well, sorry that you were not respected in your desires, but glad to hear that a stray has found such a good home.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ex is your ex for some good reasons I'm guessing.
    So glad you have an appointment all set up for Dexter & hope that you all have many happy years together.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks guys and sorry for being so negative but man if when I go to the vet next week and there is ANYTHING wrong with this little baby...Ex is dead.

Honestly to bring us a completely unknown (i.e. unchecked) kitty was irresponsible IMHO to DS's feelings esp when he knew DS would instantly fall in love. I'll totally get over my adult vs kitten issues but DS would be devestated if his new love was found to be sick.

Anyhoo, positive thoughts right and well Dexter seems really happy and healthy (other than he's small/ light). And you're right we saved a kitten from gosh knows what...it's cold here and getting colder and they were not in a house!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow I can definitely understand why you'd be peeved by the situation.

Fingers crossed the little guy is all good, though, and continues to settle in well. It warms my heart when I hear strays find a home; cats are just the best pets

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hoping it all works out well for everyone!!

Can/will you send your ex a copy of the bill and ask him to pay it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Hoping it all works out well for everyone!!

Can/will you send your ex a copy of the bill and ask him to pay it?
    Thanks for the well wishes!

LOL realistically that would just be a bill in my name that would just go unpaid. I plan on still holding him to the $150 he HAD originally agreed to pay before he got all cheap and thought as long as he got a cat he was off the hook for any $.

Really the bottom line is that Dexter must get vaccinated and neutered so I will get it done and try to get a few bucks from The Ex Sperm Donor but won't hold my breath.

ETA: I just registered Dexter with the city...$23 right there which was an expense I HAD anticipated and budgeted for thankfully LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good Luck with your new kitten, so glad another one found a loving, warm home. Hopefully everything checks out ok with the vet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make sure you stress to the vet that the kitten was a stray and you are concerned about expenses since you were planning on getting an adult cat. Many times they will work with you or offer a discount. Ask if there is any county certificate program to reduce the cost of neutering. Luckily it is a male so it will be cheaper.

One of my cats was born from a cat that was a dumped off at the vet and living as a stray. Only problem he had was worms which was easy to take care of.

Congrats of the new kitty. Might want to stop by the dollar store to buy a spray bottle. In a couple months it will really come in handy for training. Although one of my cats would just sit there and close her eyes as I sprayed madly saying NO, NO!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL I can just picture your puss sitting there enjoying the shower LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    Congrats of the new kitty. Might want to stop by the dollar store to buy a spray bottle. In a couple months it will really come in handy for training. Although one of my cats would just sit there and close her eyes as I sprayed madly saying NO, NO!
    I had a cat that would sit there and close his eyes, too.
    And that was when I only picked up the spray bottle.
    It got to where I didn't need to actually spray him - just show him the bottle!