My "Pet" Peeve
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My "Pet" Peeve

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My "Pet" Peeve

People who don't pick up after their pet! OK, it's one thing if your dog has roaming space, can do his business out in the woods somewhere. Or even if you have your own backyard - maybe. But in an apartment complex? It's nasty, dirty, draws flies. I don't want myself or my dog to step in it and especially for him, to pick up a disease.

The apartment provides pick-up stations with bags and disposal yet people will walk their dog and let him poop right in front of my patio area. I've even seen people let their dog go within 5 feet of the bag station and not pick up. I've been known to be nice and then rude if necessary when I see someone walk off. I equate it to having a baby - diaper changing isn't the most pleasant of chores, but it's part and parcel of having a baby.

Just irritates me beyond belief. I buy bags 50 for $1.00 at the dollar store. I always have bags in my car, in my purse, in pockets, in a basket by the front door, in a container on his leash, in his travel bag. Everywhere. We have almost 2000 apartments right in this area. Most dogs poop twice a day. If half of the people have just one dog...do the math.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's the same at campgrounds, and eventually parks are going to start banning dogs because of it. And that will be the end of us being able to travel.

It amazes me how damn lazy some people are. I feel exactly the same way about people like that. There's no excuse for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with you 100%. And I have the same problem. 3 neighbours of our 4 joined townhouses have dogs. They bark day and night, growling at every person passing on the street or sidewalk nearby, interrupting sleep and normal living & my work. They get off their leashes and menace me in my yard, and get into my garden and destroy my plants and flowers, including the garden produce I raised to put needed food on my table this summer. Now one of them is digging huge, deep holes all along my unit basement foundation, and when it rains the rainfall will funnel into my basement. There are piles of dog-poop against my fence and basement wall, stinking up my yard and basement. The dogs get hungry and thirsty, and their owners don't meet their needs. One will even rush to stick its head and body through my fence to drink the muddy water when I water my garden plants. It broke through my fence to get inside my garden and ate my cucumbers.
    People just love to have a dog for the prestige it gives them, but some of these pet owners don't give a poop about taking care of it, or cleaning up after it, or about fixing the damage it causes, or the stress and annoyance it causes their neighbours.
    PEOPLE OUGHT TO BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANIMALS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    PEOPLE OUGHT TO BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANIMALS.
    I don't agree with that statement. But I do believe 100% that people that have animals should be as responsible for them as (most) people with children are - or are at least expected to be. It is obvious that in your examples, the humans are not showing the bare minimum of responsibility if they are leaving the animals without water.

My dog barks when someone comes around. His job and my expectation. He doesn't bark incessantly and knows to stop when I say, "enough!" Being an apartment dweller, this type of training is crucial. And because I share common grounds with others as well as health concerns, I feel it is crucial I pick up after him.

Most cities and towns have ordinances that protect people from the types of situations you mention. I have no doubt I would put the dog owners on notice that unless the situation was corrected immediately, I would notify authorities. Frankly, IMO and recognizing it is not an opinion held by everyone, I feel lack of socialization and training is akin to animal abuse. I know that here, authorities would give notice to the owners and further disregard would result in the dogs being picked up by animal control, taken to the shelter, and likely euthanized.

It always saddens me to hear stories such as yours. Saddens me for the animals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, it sucks when the critters get blamed for what is clearly the owner's fault.

I would definitely call animal control, and if the irresponsible pet owners are apartment dwellers in your complex, I would file complaints with the landlord, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My "pet peeve" is cats that roam at large, just because "they're cats and that's what cats do." Granted, I'm a dog person, but my neighbor's cat, poops in my yard (of course, also not scooped by his owner), chews up my plants summering on my covered front patio, sprays my bushes (and boy does cat pee smell TONS worse than dog pee!), lounges on my car and porch swing, leaving scratches and hair behind. My city has a leash law that includes cats, but I don't want to turn my neighbor in so I just suck it up, but it's not really fair. I would NEVER allow my animals to infringe on the peace of others, not ever. We go to extremes to ensure they do not, scooping twice a day, having them mostly be and sleep in the house with us (which is why most dogs bark anyway; they WANT to be with their pack!), and keeping them and our yard flea/tick free. Some people with pets can be so inconsiderate. I certainly commiserate with your frustration.

We walk to the local dog park almost daily, where, like your apartment complex, there is poop everywhere! I have just started taking a popper scooper and going around and cleaning it all up while my dogs run around and play. At least it helps some. Maybe you could contract with your complex (since it's so very large) to scoop the grounds for a discount on rent or something. I'm sure they would agree that having all that dog poop around can't be good for business. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Incognito - my heart goes out to you, the thought of any animal being aggresive with you in your own back yard is uncalled for, added to that are crops being destroyed. This however is not a wild animal, it is a domesticated one & I would agree with SueBee that this in your case almost amounts to animal abuse. Mmmm... maybe spaying the neighbours might help!!!!.... (only kidding )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    Mmmm... maybe spaying the neighbours might help!!!!.... (only kidding )
    OK...now that gave me a good belly laugh for today! Even my dog looked at me to see what "he" had done that was so funny!

Rona is right tho'. Neighbors dogs being aggressive with you in YOUR yard is over the top. Time for some action on your part.

Oowl, I know what you speak of regarding the odor of cat urine. On our walks, we pass a place where a cat sprays and goodness! You can smell it a block away. As for me scooping? No, no. That would be a full time plus job and not one I'm willing to do for this huge place. Around my own apartment, I do go out with the scooper on a regular basis. Also, I'm like you in that I do everything I can to prevent my dog from being an irritant to others. I'm lucky in that regard since he is so sociable and friendly. I wish people liked me as much as they like him!!

Quite some time back, a large open area right behind me was almost wall-to-wall in nastiness. After complaining ad nauseum to the office manager, I did call the city. They investigated and for a time, it was kept clean by the porters. Then like all good things, it fell to the wayside. It isn't as bad as it was, but still...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

[QUOTE=OOwl;4111549114]My "pet peeve" is cats that roam at large,

Same here. I never had a issue with cats in general. I don't mind if you have a cat in your house. But don't let it in my yard.My dog does not run free. She has a fenced in yard. She doesn't wonder in to other yards, she is not allowed and will get a speaking to if she does.She knows "THE LOOK" if she she even goes off the property. I have no problem with taking the ladies cats to the shelter. She has been sited, warned. Some people even trap them and kill them. The police turn the other way because people are feeding them and not getting them fixed. Its turning in to a huge problem. Right now she has 16 cats in her house. At least 11 living in her garage and i can look out the window and see a dozen in our driveway and her yard. My Saint HATES cats. She has torn 2 screens trying to get them when they come on the porch. The smell is bad during the summer. The things have urinated all over 2 patio ssets we have bought. We have even thought about taking her to court.. The dog owners are pretty good around here. They will pick up after there dogs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have five cats. Only one is allowed outside, and that's because A) he refuses to stay in even with a shock collar on his little neck and B) he stays inside the fenced dog yard where he's relatively safe. Of the other four, only one goes out the dog door, but he refuses to stay in the yard, so he gets a shock collar that zaps him if he goes near the dog door. Works great and no, it's not cruel. Letting him out to play with the cougars, wolves, foxes, and cars would be cruel.

Barking dogs, irresponsible owners, and cats on the loose are among the many irritants that will probably keep us living out in the country long past the time we should have moved to town.

Forget about animal control and call the county health department. They'll make the landlord clean up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Im all for shock collars. Shows responsability with the animal owner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some people give us a lot of grief about it. They don't have a clue. Our vet even approved it. And before we put a collar on any of our cats, we tested it on ourselves. It's like a bad carpet shock. Unpleasant, but not really painful, and it does get their attention. It has a beeper on it that beeps at two different speeds, so they get a good warning before being zapped. It doesn't take them long to figure out they need to back off when the beeping starts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We live in a town of 1300 and i swear there are more cats then people some days.. They are pretty cats. But we have spent in a year $60 for new screen door. $ 80 on new cushions for chairs because of cat urine. $25 on porch cleaner. Having the yard treated for fleas (we do it ouself) $30 bucks a bottle x2 Plus our saint had to be taken to the vet because she had gotten them so bad.$30 vet bill and$100 for the darn pills. Saints can't be shaved down. Because there coat is a protective covering. It can fry there insides.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah i have felt them before. They have some that are very powerful and some that is like touching something an getting shocked. They learn fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nana, I don't think I would be "thinking" about taking her to court. I'd be doing something...calling the SPCA for one thing. She sounds almost like one of those animal hoarders. And I'm betting the cats aren't spayed/neutered so they are just increasing the population of cats. I bet your town has a leash law that also pertains to cats. Nope. I'd be doing something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast