Cat Bed Success
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Bed Success

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cat Bed Success

While going through my clothes and tossing out items decided to keep a shirt and sweater dress to make a cat bed. Cut out large matching pieces from shirt and dress. Sewed up seams and stuffed with an old pillow stuffing. Cat seems to really enjoy it even though it has been warm here. Kept on thinking maybe I should save it for an x-mas present.

Was happy to use up items I would have thrown away to make the cat something she will be using frequently.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shoiji what a great idea, in fact I'm going to borrow it, one of our cats is a real inoor cat and if I take a jumper or cardigan off and put it down within 5min he's curled up on it. DH has an old jumper must see what I can make for him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. Since I used a sweater figure by the time spring rolls around it will just be a mess and I can toss it. Come fall I can just make another one since I will have all the items already.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could also make it like a pillowcase, if you wanted to remove it for washing, and then put the stuffing in an old tee shirt or something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great idea...........and great recycle.

And if you look at the price of "pet beds" you will appreciate your idea even more!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FF I constantly look at the pet beds on sale and think no she already has one, plus the sofa, plus the bed, etc. Was going to felt another sweater however found her laying on it so will make two more beds since I can place them where she normally likes to lie around. Yea, she is spoiled. She is getting older and I keep the place cool in the fall/winter. Wonder if she want to lay on my lap. Hope my heating pad doesn't decide to move on. lol

SD that is a good idea might do that. Think I have some snaps I can use to close the opening. The sweaters are 100 percent wool, like I said I can toss them if they get narly since I will have another sweater I can use next year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ours are thoroughly spoiled, too. Lots of beds and even a loft over a doorway. Made from scrap lumber and stash fabric, of course.

I often use old bed pillows for the cats, once they're smashed too flat for human use. The pillows, not the cats.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    The sweaters are 100 percent wool, like I said I can toss them if they get narly since I will have another sweater I can use next year.
    Or cut them up and make her a cute 'kittie quilt' out of them...........especially if they are already felted! Recycling a recycle!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the photo!! And people think my dog is spoiled.
    I've been needing to make the dog a new "mattress" for his crate. The one he has now was a crushed memory foam dog bed, but it has gotten so old and lumpy I don't think he's really comfortable. I'm thinking of buying a piece of thick foam and covering it. Unless, of course, someone has a better and cheaper idea. His crate is 27" by 42" and a 2 inch thick piece of foam for that is rather costly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SueBee49 View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a piece of thick foam and covering it. Unless, of course, someone has a better and cheaper idea. His crate is 27" by 42" and a 2 inch thick piece of foam for that is rather costly.
    I will sometimes see those "egg crate" mattress covers at our thrift shops. Or check your "army surplus" store........if you have one. And think the 42" would be the killer for this idea..........but maybe you could put two of them together...you would have to measure..........those sponge pillows are OFTEN in our TS! (they ARE washable............ON DELICATE CYCLE....the stress is on DELICATE CYCLE!!!.....don't ask me how I know!!! (forgot to change the washer dial...........what a mess!)

Also..........if you have a JoAnn's...........check their prices out. They will often have their foam on sale...........or if not cheaper that way........use a coupon when it is OFF sale. Especially for that size...........

You might even check the new prices of the egg crate things..........twin size should do it.........that is what I used for the back of my car. (my kids travel in comfort!!!) Watch whatever store has good 'bedding type sales'...............our ShopKo is pretty good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eggcrate mattress! Absolutely perfect, frugalfranny. That's one of those head-slapping moments...you know...now why didn't I think of that? I have one on my queen bed that I got at Walmart cheap. Would be cheaper for a twin and I could probably cut it in half to save for when he wears that one down. Thank you bunches!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SueBee49 View Post
    Eggcrate mattress! Absolutely perfect, frugalfranny. That's one of those head-slapping moments...you know...now why didn't I think of that? I have one on my queen bed that I got at Walmart cheap. Would be cheaper for a twin and I could probably cut it in half to save for when he wears that one down. Thank you bunches!
    You're welcome..............glad I could help.

I have used them for lots of things.........mostly dog related. If you don't have a box cutter, they cut pretty easy with just scissors too. I had some length left over from the 'back of my car cutting'........and used it in the travel kennels. Pillowcase is a good cover for them too.

THEY ALSO WASH WELL................on gentle cycle! Haven't ruined one of those............yet.......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just bought egg crate foam for our camper beds. It's the two-inch kind, and I think the twin was about $14 at our local Shopko. The queen was a little more. I've used that for pet-related stuff a lot, too. You might be able to get something like that on Freecycle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What great ideas we have 3 cats 16, 15, & 14 yrs.old. The 15 yr old was dx with diabetes almost 2 yrs. ago. Recently we noticed his breathing was weird. After a $900 vet bill he had a thoracic tap and lots of fluid drained. Looks like congestive heart failure. He doesn't appear to be in distress and we have him on meds altho I know he's on borrowed time I'm not ready to give up on him. Obviously if he starts to suffer we'll have to bring him back to the vet. Honestly he has not stopped purring thru all of this. Anyway he's all white long haired and they had to shave both his sides to do tests so he's got a "mohawk." I noticed he was a little chilly and remembered that I had flannel sheets my son outgrew and I had washed them to bring to the humane society. I've been using some for him to lay on. Now that I've read your posts I think I'll go buy foam and put it in the flannel pillow case and make a bed. Great ideas thank you!! He's not into jumping up on our bed anymore so this will be good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With the mohawk going on he might enjoy a sweater.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast