Cosequin

Thread: Cosequin

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cosequin

To make a long story short :

My parents are 84 & 80 - they have an 11 yr. old lab that weighs 91.8lbs and is on a daily aspirin dose.
    Lately she's showing signs of joint issues. Last week she peed herself in her bed, finding it hard to get up the 5 steps from the yard to the top of the back deck.
    Today I was visiting and my Dad let the dogs out. When he went to get them in Lili was "dancing" on the 1st two steps, but couldn't seem to climb the other 3 to get into their house. My dad came in and asked my Mom & I for help. I went out and tried to reach under her belly to lift her up and help to no avail. Then I stood on the deck in a high pitched obnoxious voice coaxed "come on Lili, good girl Lili, etc" Eventually she made it to the top. It was 7 degrees outside. I'm worried my parents won't be able to get her in without help, and it's freezing out.
    Years ago our vet told me my dog had severe arthritis in the knees & RX Cosequin. Once we started giving it to her she was like a puppy. I offered to pay for a supply of Cosequin for Lili. I'm thinking I should call the vets and let them know and also ask if I should encourage stopping the aspirin and starting Cosequin. I told my parents I'd purchase it if they'll give it. I've thought of taking the dog into my home, but it's 14 stairs into my house which is worse then my parents. Has anyone given their elderly dog Cosequin and did you have good results? I want to help my parents & Lili the best I can. Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I swear by Cosequin.

My lab (also 90 lbs) was put on it at 11 yrs old. He was not even showing signs of discomfort (but I understand the joint problems of the large breed dogs) so we started him at 11. He did wonderfully with it.

There is a new drug called Rimadyl (made by Pfizer) - it does the same thing. Be very careful if this drug is recommended in place of Cosequin.

Case in point: I lived in Indpls, my dog had been doing well with Cosequin for 7 yrs (yes, you read that right - he was 18 yrs old) - almost unheard of for a lab - anyway.... moved to another city. Let a new vet talk me into Rimadyl. Within 5 days my dog was dead.

First day after Rimadyl - wake up to find my dog lying in a pile of vomit on the kitchen floor. Don't know what is wrong. Get on the Pfizor website - find that he has 9 of the 10 signs of toxicity. Call Pfizor hotline immediately. Pfizor asks me if bloodwork was done by the vet prior to administering the drug. I say NO. Pfizor says that is a requirement of the vets before they prescribe said drug. We will deal with that later.

Pfizor tells me to get him to a vet that can do blood work immediately. We find NEW vet (obviously) - they check his blood. Creatin levels are thru the roof. He goes on IV's - for 3 days on IV's, Creatin levels are so high off the chart that they can't even measure if they are coming down or not. Day 4 (thanksgiving day) - what am I going to do to save my beloved dog??? Blood transfusion is recommended. Local vet not able to do such. Sets me up with another vet in another city. Getting dog ready for transport. Dog goes into seizures, has heart attack and dies before me. (Creatin levels built up in the heart and caused heart attack).

Pfizer tells me I can join a lawsuit against their company because my dog died. I don't blame Pfizor. I blame the vet who did not follow proper protocol. I want to burn down the vet clinic to be honest with you. DH won't let me (obviously)...

Point to this story - Cosequin is a wonderful drug. It does amazing things and I have never heard anything bad about it. Rimadyl (which is what a lot of vets are now recommending over Cosequin) has a 50% rejection rate. If your vet tries to talk you into this drug - DEMAND a blood test to make sure that their dog is not going to have a reaction to it. It killed my dog, it's that important!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

W/ my DD's dog we did Rimadyl and also a pain pill. It helped for a long time. Eventually I switched to the generic because I couldnt do the $100. per month. She is deceased now because her hips finally went.

My Great DAne mix has cruciate ligament prob. and is on human osteo bi-flex (triple) 2x a day and novox for pain.
    Definately consult the vet. Rite Aid drug store gave me the senior discount on the rimadyl and the generic. I get the osteo on 2/1 sales plus coupons at Kroger/
    It was $31.99 a bottle for 120 but I also got the $5. coupon off both just last week. So $21.99 for 240.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My old boys were both on Rimadyl, and had no issues; however, now they are getting a human arthritis pill, Meloxicam. It is super cheap compared to Rimadyl and Cosequin. My guys also get a stool softener, because apparently, dogs really use their back legs when they poop, and it helps if they don't have to strain. They get 1/4 tsp of Miralax daily. (Again, human use and non-prescription.)

Based on vet recommendation, my older dogs also get 2,000 mgs of glucosamine (in the form of a human supplement), and fish oil daily. I also give all three of the big dogs 1/2 of a human multi-vitamin supplement daily.

92 pounds sounds REALLY heavy for a lab. The best thing you/your parents can do is to start measuring the dog's food and get her weight down. My dogs were also in the 90 pound range, and I have both of them at 65 pounds now. Especially as they get older, that extra weight really hurts their joints. She may just be a really big dog, but if she is carrying ANY extra weight, you will see a difference if you get that weight off of her.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for all your input. I'll def check with the vet. My parents last lab had developed Mast Cell Carcinoma. She was on aspirin & glucosamine tx. She developed what they thought was a cyst the size of a fist. It was biopsied. Came back as Mast Cell Carcinoma and we were told it would either be ok or come back with a vengeance. It came back with a vengeance in 1 week after surgical removal, and burst like a pimple. I was at my parents picking up Ds when it happened and literally grabbed Ds's diapers holding it over the burst "cyst" while we drove to the vets trying to stop the bleeding. She literally bled to death by the time we got to the vet. Because she was on a combo aspirin & glucosamine she wasn't clotting. So, I'm fearful of doing anything without stopping the aspirin before I try Cosequin. We all use the same vet so I will call and let them know what's going on. Our pets are members of our family and yes I realize they die, but I want to give them the best there is until that happens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cosequin is basically a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement with added manganese & some other ingredients. On the other hand, Rimadyl (& its generic Carprofen) is a prescription only NSAID that is used to treat inflamation & pain in dogs. They are 2 completely different meds.

All my dogs go on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement automatically as they hit their senior years. Rimadyl is only given when my vet reccommends it. I have a pitbull mix who has been on 100mg per day of the Rimadyl for 3 years now. She has severe arthritis in her spine & without it is nearly incapacitated with pain. The vet & I discussed it when she went on the Rimadyl 3 years ago & he explained that it could shorten her life by damaging her kidneys and or liver. I decided that I would rather she had a shortened happy life rather than a long miserable one. Three years later, Liza in going strong & can often be found rough-housing with my young foster dogs - so I know I made the right choice for her.

But definitely schedule a vet appt for your parents lab. The vet can tell you if a change in diet/exercise is necessary & also advise the best pain management program for you. I have a 12 year old chow mix who takes Previcox & Tramadol daily along with his glucosamine/chondroitin.

MadHen, thanks for the heads up about a stool softener. It never even occurred to me that he might need that - I've noticed some weakness in his back legs especially first thing in the morning, so I'll ask the vet about adding that to his daily regimine. With 5 dogs over 10 years old, sometimes I feel like I'm running a nursing home instead of a dog rescue

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went to the vet & my order of Cosequin arrived today so we'll start Lili on that. As far as her weight she gets fed 1 cup of food 2x day. She's a tall (all leg) lab. Reminds me of a deer - she can stand on her back legs and reach the top of the fridge. BUT yes she has a gut and that's why she's only fed 1 cup 2x daily. She gets walked daily. Their last lab was a short boxy build like the fit n' trim commercial. I can't wait to see if the Cosequin shows improvement. Thanks for your help/advice.