stray cat found - can't find owners
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default stray cat found - can't find owners

I've had a stray cat come to my house for feeding for a couple of months. I thought I had found the owners, but they came to look at him today and said he's not their cat. Somehow I've let myself feel responsible for this cat beyond feeding him. He needs to be checked out by a vet because he's been sneezing but they are so expensive around here. I've been trying to locate some place that will provide low cost care because he is a stray, but so far haven't been able to talk to anyone about the situation. I don't really want to take him to the shelter because that might be a death sentence (their policies keep changing...) but I have three cats already and don't want / can't afford to keep another cat. If I got the cat healthy and then took him to the shelter so he would be placed on the adoptable cat list... maybe he would get a new home...

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did you ask the shelter about local cat rescues/help for homeless cats? They usually have a list. If you can find a cat rescue to help with vet care they should be willing to help you find a home for him. Maybe you could be the "foster" home so he would not have to go to a shelter. Having volunteered at a "no kill" shelter before I am very, very leary of them. I won't go into detail but my faith in "no kill" is no more. I am so sorry it was not his owners! Poor boy! Thanks for helping him.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe get the word out to friends , family, co workers that you are trying to find a homeless kitty a forever home. This can be a bit of work on your part having to screen people and answer questions but I have found a few of the best homes this way. People who had lost a cat and we're ready for another.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Its impossible to have a "no kill shelter" as all animals are not fit for homes. So are too wild,some are too ill and some cant deal w/ the change. Sometimes they go to santuary and sometime back to the kill shelter.

The cat has an upper respiratory infection as cats dont get cold. It is highly contagious. If the cat sneezes on you and you handle your cats they can get it. So if you take it in then sterilize the carrier. I would go on pet finder and look for rescue groups in you area. Also post it on for the love of louie. Is it a girl or boy?
    Also most cats arent chipped but its worth a go at the vets. They wont charge you and you can ask about meds then.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

[QUOTE=frugalwarrior2;4112370369]Its impossible to have a "no kill shelter" as all animals are not fit for homes. So are too wild,some are too ill and some cant deal w/ the change. Sometimes they go to santuary and sometime back to the kill shelter.

/QUOTE]

Shelters that call themselves no kill are not to euthanize for space though and take animals across state lines to have it done so they don't have to count it......and picking the black ones to do this too since they take longer to adopt. That is the kind of thing I was talking about.

9000 is the number of cats and dogs euthanized every single day at US shelters.( according to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary) It is common to euthanize for ringworm! That one blows me away!

I wished you lived near me raineydaye.......we could work him into our program. The cat rescue I volunteer for only euthanizes if a cat is so bad physically that is is suffering. You would be amazed the ends and expense they go to to help cats recover. Never ever just because a cat is feral. They are amazing at finding alternative barn/shop/winery homes. Of course it is usually best for feral to stay in the area they are familiar with and set up feeding stations so a lot of that is done too.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does the kittie have other symptoms besides sneezing? How do his eyes look? Clear or goopy? Is he stuffy sounding too? Sound congested? If it is URI as FW pointed out it is very contagious but also easy for you to treat him, if that is what he has.

I have a kittie that gets seasonal allergys.......only symptom is sneezing. I was very worried until I knew it was just allergys though. He is FIV positive ( which is also something many shelters euthanize for) so immune system is not up to par.