can you get into photography with just an ordinary digital camera?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default can you get into photography with just an ordinary digital camera?

can you get into photography with just an ordinary digital camera? if so, how would you get started? any tips or pointers?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would say definitely YES! I would recommend that anyone who is interested in photography start out with a camera that they already own or a reasonably priced digital camera before spending big bucks on a professional grade camera. I dabble in photography but go through moods mostly where sometimes I love taking pictures and other times I just can't really find time for it.

I would suggest that you start out photographing things that you like, whether is landscapes, your children/pets, self portraits! deviantart.com is a website where people upload and share their digital photography (and various other types of art) online and can receive feedback from members. I go there for inspiration quite a bit.

Most of all, just have fun with it! Sometimes it takes a couple of dozen shots to get that one good one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Of course! I own a digital SLR now, but I had just a point & shoot for years. I say it's best NOT to buy an expensive camera, get frustrated, forget the hobby and then have wasted the money.

I say learn all the technical things like f stops, aperture, etc. and really just use your camera to the max. Once you can tell that you can't get any further with that camera and you feel confident you can manually control a camera, step it up to a "better" camera.

Just start taking pictures. Walk around and look at various things, anything, through the viewfinder and see how it looks as a photo. Get closer, farther away, try different angles, different settings, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I agree with the other posters. I got started with a 110 flash camera and have since moved on to a 35 mm and now a digital. I like to take nature shots myself.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is how I started as well. I still use it and plan on really getting into it more after Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes yes, you don't need a fancy camera to have a ton of fun. I have taken two college classes in Photography and the professor always says that is the best way to start. Not so many wasted pictures costing you money to develop!
    You down load to the computer and cut the ones you don't want to print, makes it a very frugal hobbie.

Registered User old_lady_in_the_shoe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I say yes too...
    digital makes it easy to start and much much cheaper too.
    You can experiment with tons of things and not "pay" for roll after roll of film to just "see" how they turned out. upload and look and adjust to what you see.

Not only that, you can find good digital camers for not a lot of money, and you can adjust the number of photos it holds by adjusting the quality of the pictures or adding memory cards.

Not to mention that a lot of stores make it easy to make, edit, and print photos right from your home pc. A lot of the places (like walmart) have editing software you can use when you upload your photos to be printed...so you don't have to buy expensive software to do editing. It is usually cheaper to upload your photos right from your home pc too.

I also like the fact that you can store a ton of photos on disks and you don't have to print a ton and save millions of photos all over...it is a big "time and room saver" . one disk hold a lot of photos too (depending on the quality of the photos)

I use to do a bit of photography with a 35mm, developed the film, printed the photos and such, but that is SO,SO,SO very expensive, and time consuming. It can also be a waste too, because you spend your time, "trying to get a shot, think you have it but you can't tell with print film till it is developed" and by the time you see it, the shot is no longer available.

Also with digital, you can take a photo, and show it in color, change it to black and white, or other tones all with your home pc, (or at the processing place with their software).

Digital is the least expensive way to start, is the most versital, and has the most freedoms with it, not to mention is easy to store prints and not waste your time with unwanted photos.
    Last edited by old_lady_in_the_shoe; 02-15-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are also sites online where you can do all kinds of nifty things to your photos once you upload them so you don't need an expensive program to change or fix your pics.

One that I use all the time is www.picnik.com