Photographing Crafts
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Photographing Crafts

Anyone here photograph their crafts or other people's for porfolios (online or off)? I am trying to take some decent photos of my hooked rugs and am having difficulty. Wondering what settings/situation might help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't take pics of crafts for publication usually, but I do take pics of products I review. I've had the best luck getting good shots outside, especially on overcast days.

One of my product shots:

IMO, the background should be interesting but not more interesting than the subject. The background should fit the subject, too.

I wish I had better tips. A lot has to do with the camera you use, I think. I use a cheapo camera and I've found out it does not work to use the telephoto feature. The images are sharper and crisper using the regular setting.

Of course it goes without saying you need high-resolution photos.

I've also found out my pics look better and sharper in print than on the computer. I thought maybe it was just my computer, but my publisher has said the same thing about my pics on his computer, and he's got all the gee-whiz geeky stuff that I don't.

If you're e mailing pics to someone else to work with, be sure you send them as attachments. Don't put them in a doc first or copy them from someplace you've uploaded them. Attach them directly from the card and send them.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Use more light. Room lighting is not enough to capture a good photo on the camera. You've seen fashion model photo shoots on tv? Had your kid's school pictures taken? There's a reason they have all those great big umbrella lights all over the place.

Taking photos outdoors helps, but you have no control over where the shadows go and often you get glare from the direct light.

When I photograph small objects I use a photo box, which is just a cardboard box with white tissue paper sides. I made mine out of gift wrap, but you can buy light tents too. I position a lamp above, and one on each side, and sometimes one shining from the front. So there is light from all directions, which prevents shadows on the object and in the background.

There's some examples partway down this page: Photography Studio Chesham Buckinghamshire London | Professional product photography, onsite photography, studio photography and HDR photography
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks you two. I think I'll have to work outside for now. I don't have money for lamps. I've been taking them outside on overcast days, but the background sheet I'm using is being problematic...wrinkles too much. I'm thinking I need foam core or something like that to photograph against.

But winter is coming here, and I may need an indoor set up soon. I'll have to price things out. What kind of lamps do you think I'd need Contrary Housewife?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe you don't need new lamps. Try taking some shots with the lamps you already own positioned in different ways, and make notes of what you've done so you can duplicate what works. Also note what types of bulbs you use. Different bulbs have different tones or are more harsh than others.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm no expert, but I'd agree that you probably don't need specialty lamps. For the small things I photograph we went down to Walmart and got cheapo $10 desk lamps with the poseable necks that we could aim at our light box. We use them for crafts when we are not photographing.

I'd think a couple of regular lamps that you could aim, with 100w bulbs would be a good start.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks you two!