RAW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAW

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default RAW

Does anyone here shoot in RAW mode? My new camera has it and I have a basic understanding of it and how to edit it. Just wondering if anyone else is out there doing it regularly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have done a lot of shooting & editing in RAW. This is a great way to guarantee you have that image. Especially important in wedding photography.

There is a learning curve with digital because once the whites are blown out they are gone forever. Shoot in RAW and you can correct that. Image saved.
    Same with underexposure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wanted to add that I took a look at your flickr- Excellent images.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Canongirl View Post
    Wanted to add that I took a look at your flickr- Excellent images.
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not a photographer so haven't any imput on your original post, just wanted to hop in & say I too enjoyed your photo gallery. I really like the way you look at life. To find joy in the things you do makes you a rich person indeed. Thanks bunches for sharing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much! That means a lot.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We shoot all our flower pictures in RAW because it gives better and more true color.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ummmmm...this whole conversation went over my head. Whats raw? I'd love to take better photos. And i love what you've done. Maybe some day you could perhaps post a quick "understanding your camera 101" . LOL, something short and sweet for cam illiterates like me!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    I'm not a photographer so haven't any imput on your original post, just wanted to hop in & say I too enjoyed your photo gallery. I really like the way you look at life. To find joy in the things you do makes you a rich person indeed. Thanks bunches for sharing.
    I agree!! I love your pics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is a good explanation about RAW:

Perhaps the most obvious benefit to shooting in raw capture mode is the fact that you are truly storing a digital "original" just as the scene was captured by the camera. In comparison to JPEG shooting where the data is massaged and manipulated prior to saving, raw capture mode stores the data as it was digitized straight off the image sensor. This allows higher bit depth, greater dynamic range, and much greater ability to correct issues such as underexposure or even overexposure. The only thing better than capturing the data directly off the sensor would be actually going back to the scene and taking the shot again. To put things into perspective, in JPEG capture mode, your camera is able to capture 256 gradations at each pixel site on the sensor. In a well exposed shot that doesn't need white balance corrections or other tweaks, 256 gradations for each color is enough. It can begin to fall short, however, when an image is underexposed, overexposed, or shot under the wrong white balance. Raw images have the ability to store 4096 gradations of color at each pixel site (12 bits/channel) or even higher on some cameras. This extra depth allows for greater accuracy and reduces banding/posterization when making color or exposure corrections.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started shooting RAW in December, and wish I'd always done it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by acidcookie View Post
    Does anyone here shoot in RAW mode? My new camera has it and I have a basic understanding of it and how to edit it. Just wondering if anyone else is out there doing it regularly.

Acidcookie how do I view your pictures? I clicked on the link and it doesn't seem to work. I would really like to take a look. Also maybe you can offer me some advice. I am a cake decorator/sugar artist and I want to learn how to take amazing pictures of my work. Getting a professional photographer is out of the question and I want to be self sufficient. So my question is where can I find great training at a reasonable price either by a great book, online course, tutorial etc. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated. You have peaked my interest on the RAW subject. I have to learn more about that also. I have only a regular canon powershot A520 but I am willing to invest in a better camera if need be once I learn the basics.
    Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
    Acidcookie how do I view your pictures? I clicked on the link and it doesn't seem to work. I would really like to take a look. Also maybe you can offer me some advice. I am a cake decorator/sugar artist and I want to learn how to take amazing pictures of my work. Getting a professional photographer is out of the question and I want to be self sufficient. So my question is where can I find great training at a reasonable price either by a great book, online course, tutorial etc. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated. You have peaked my interest on the RAW subject. I have to learn more about that also. I have only a regular canon powershot A520 but I am willing to invest in a better camera if need be once I learn the basics.
    Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
    Oh how strange, not sure why it's doing that. I will fix it right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by acidcookie View Post
    Oh how strange, not sure why it's doing that. I will fix it right now.

WOW!!! Amazing photos you are talented, I wish I could take good pics like that. BRAVO!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
    WOW!!! Amazing photos you are talented, I wish I could take good pics like that. BRAVO!
    Aw thanks

I'm happy to help your photo needs any way I can. I know there's at least one good book I read (I learned all the numbers of photography on my own), let me find it for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast