Planning for hosptial bill
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Planning for hosptial bill

Ok, I'm going to feel pretty silly asking this, but since our old insurance paid 100% of just about everything with my last pregnancy and delivery, I just simply don't know!

I'm due with my second on Dec 6th, though there's a good chance I will be induced in the end of Nov. I believe (but I need to check for sure) that our current insurance will pay for 80% of everything associated with the delivery and hosptial stay. So I would like to find out tentatively what our cost will be once everything is said and done so I can add those bills into our budget for January,ect. I'm guessing I can talk to my OB to get a rough estimate (should everything go according to plan that is.)

Does anyone here feel comfortable sharing what they paid for their deliveries and such? I'm just curious to see what the average would be on this board.

TIA!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

All of our bills for myself and Wesley total equalled up to about 60K. We didn't pay a dime due to DH's Tricare insurance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well it depends on how much services are needed. My OB/GYN office gave us an estimate for a natural delivery with no complications, miminal everything, etc. was about 8k.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't remember the exact costs. With my first child, I remember there being something that if our income was below $25,000 we didn't have to pay the difference in expenses that insurance didn't cover. I am not sure if that was a hospital thing, or with dh's employer or the insurance. Our income was below so we didn't have to pay anything. With our second we had approx. $2500 in expenses that weren't covered. The OB/hospital put us on a payment plan at the first appointment so we had those uncovered expenses paid before our child was born. With the understanding being I could owe more money if any difficulties arose, I opted for pain meds, etc. With the last 2 kids my insurance covered everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't been there yet. My first is due in March.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on your second baby . I checked out our health insurance recently online and it looks like it would be around $250 total. I couldn't figure out if that included the periodic Dr. visits during pregnancy ($25 each time) or just delievery costs. This will be my insurance coverage after I switch to Dh's health insurance this month. My health insurance covers some, I believe it was closer to $1,250 out of pocket and my deductible would be $50 for every Dr.'s visit.

We will have really great insurance right now so I am thinking this would be the ideal year to try for our first baby and maybe even have a second while my Dh is still employed through the university. I have heard stories of very expensive births, some as much as $25,000 or more out of pocket expenses. We would never have kids if it cost that much to have them, at least not in a hospital anyways.