Trying to Conceive- Advice Needed
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Trying to Conceive- Advice Needed

I need advice from my frugal family mommies that has been there and done that. We have decided that this week is the beginning of our road of trying to conceive. I don't know how long it will take or where this road will take us, but we are heading down it together hand-in-hand.

I am a little over my normal BMI and I am trying to eat healthy and exercise. If I can't lose weight then I at least want to only gain a healthy amount for my weight and height. I am taking vitamins and avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and fatty foods. The only thing I take in addition to my vitamins is Prilosec OTC and it's a 20 mg acid reducer. I take it daily because I get awful acid reflux: heartburn, sore throat from the acid back up. I even had an episode that lasted so long I thought my throat was closing in on itself.

This being said, how safe is it to conceive and take Prilosec OTC during pregnancy? Has anyone had to do this or does this currently? It's the only thing I am stressing about putting into my body at the moment. The other stress is wondering if I can still breastfeed while I take the Prilosec OTC? I have been online and there are mixed answers to this question. Some people have been fine taking it some advise not to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think your doctor is really the best person to ask about medications while pregnant or breastfeeding. We're all going to answer with different responses, just like your online research. My guess is that you trust your doctor, and so I would call them up and ask.

By the way...beautiful avatar!!! Both the foliage and the couple!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Speak to your PCP or ObGyn about the medications.

Taking Charge of Your Fetility by Toni Weschler is a great book.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

The other bit of advice I can give is to buy a basil thermometer and keep a log. Fertility Friend is one type of website available.
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com

Relax -- and don't stress. Stress is NOT your friend.

Remember that fluffy women can conceive too... otherwise we never would have made it past the Renaissance period.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would try to let nature take its course a bit before you do all the temping and charting. Let it be about fun. I believe that when women start temping/charting they can start to put a lot of stress on both themselves and their husband. They might start to feel like a failure if they have done the deed on a "perfect" day and they didn't get pg.

As to the weight thing. I am a size 14. Was a size 12 before my first. Weight doesn't have much to do with conception unless you are on the far extremes (IMO). Just try to eat healthy but still have fun. I read somewhere that there was a study about the health benefits of dark chocolate while pg. So....there is a good thing to keep.

As for the prilosec. Talk to your OB/GYN. They would know better about its safety during pg than your GP.

ENJOY!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The reflux is a bit of a concern to me particularly if you have been rying to conceive for a while. It can be a sign of celiac disease or gluten intolerance and it is known that celiac is a cause of infertility. As for weight, that is less of an issue. Kepp up with the folic acid and keep going with the good diet and such. There are also books about maximizing fertility which decrease starches and sugars and increase other things. Don't stress it. My friends tried for several years before conceiving and now they are pregnant with theor second (their first will be 2 in March).

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know what your state offers, but check out this link http://www.motherisk.org/women/index.jsp

It's a program called MotherRisk through The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Ontario. It offers research and counselling on reproductive risk or safety of drugs, chemicals and maternal disease in pregnancy. (You'd be surprised what GPs will say is safe and isn't because they're not up-to-date on the current medical information.)

If you don't phone their home line, maybe their website will answer your questions.

Good luck!
    Last edited by QM; 10-20-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had horrid acid reflux, to the point my severe meds were costing me over $200 a month!!
    So, I found a natural "cure" yep, I said "cure"!!
    1 teaspoon "raw" apple cider vinegar before each meal for 1 month, I have not had any meds or any problems really in 3 years now! Make sure it is "raw" apple cider vinegar, you can get that from health food stores!!

Good luck and happy times getting pregnant!!!
    Mommy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi! I don't post a lot here...I mostly lurk

I've been TTC (trying to to conceive) since August 2007. It's a soul-wrenching journey- but hopefully there will be a baby at the end to soften our hearts back.

I agree- Fertility friend is awesome. Charting gives yous such a feeling of empowerment- you can see when you ovulate, etc. It also has lots of good information.

I suggest seeing your doctor. When DH and I decided to start TTC, I went in to talk to my doctor. I got a pap smear, physical and got a prescription for prenatals.

After TTC for 12 months, it's recommended to see your doctor to start getting tested. I'm starting that process now.

I think you need to talk to your doctor about Prilosec and TTC. I'm not sure about that.

I hope your journey in TTC is a short one

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We "officially" start TTC tonight. I hope that's not too graphic LOL. We haven't ever tried before, so this could be a long or a short process, but one we are ready to begin now. I haven't taken the Prilosec in 4 days now and knock on wood it's been okay. I did call my Dr. today to schedule a visit, I already had a visit a month ago for a regular Pap and exam and all was well. I have a list of questions for the Dr. now though related to what I can or cannot eat or take while TTC. Thank you for all your thoughts and I might try that raw apple cider vinegar tip. Did it burn going down your throat at all?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My dh gets awful heartburn. We go to a GP who is more attuned to natural healing than medications. She told dh to eat mustard greens raw. They are great in a salad.
    He eats three salads a week with mustard greens, leaf lettuce, spinach, carrots, and onions. No heartburn in over 10 years!
    If anyone was going to get it, it would be dh. He loves spicy foods. He will not eat eggs without tobasco sauce. He only eats the spicy chips. I add jalopeno's to almost everything that I make. So the mustard really helps!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used a program to track when I was ovulating - it cost $25. I got pregnant with dd within 3 months. With our next, we really wanted a boy so I tracked and when it said I was ovulating I took one of those ovulating tests - I wasn't yet. Kept using one each day and about 3 days later it said I was and we tried that day! lol. And we got our boy. We were pregnant the first month!! The kit costs about $10.
    OK. I just checked out the site - http://www.ovulation-calendar.com/register.html
    and it looks like it went up to $39.