Cyst or Pregnancy?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cyst or Pregnancy?

Hi Ladies,
    I've been TTC for about three months now and my periods have been kind of off. My cycles have always been 28 or 29 days long, but suddenly last month's was 34 days and I haven't had one at all this cycle.
    I've been having brown discharge for the last three weeks along with off and on mild nausea. Last week we had sex and immediatly afterwards I had bright red bleeding that I figured was my period. I put in a tampon and went about the rest of my day, but when I went to change it there was only a little brown blood on it. I've tried feeling my cervix and it's really low and seems open to me. After I felt it I had a little more red blood like before, but it only lasted a really short time.
    I took a pregnancy test this morning and it came back positive, but it said that cysts could give a false positive. I looked up cysts and there was a lot of talk about brown discharge and irregular periods and how cysts could mimic early pregnancy. I'm planning on calling my doctor tomorrow to discuss it with her, but I'm sure she'll just have me wait until my annual, which isn't until the beginning of July.
    I'm really worried that if I am pregnant, that this is a doomed pregnancy. I had a late term miscarriage a couple years ago and I just don't know that I could wait around for that to happen again.
    Have any of you ladies had cysts? Do my symptoms sound familar? Any input would be helpful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have not had the problems that you are describing. I did go thru an ectopic pregnancy earlier this year at the age of 43. I just want to say that I hope all goes well with you and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It could be both. I had an on time period then waited and waited for my next period. I tested myself at 5 days over - a negative home test. Then I tested positive test 3 weeks later at the doctor's office. They scheduled an ultrasound one week after and discovered that I was both pregnant and had a huge cyst. The cyst probably threw off my ovulation. I had extra fluid in my uterus as well as leaking from the cyst so they couldn't get a good time frame on the due date. They weren't even sure if it was a viable pregnancy. So one week later, I had another ultrasound. The fluid was mostly gone. The cyst was a little smaller and there was a good heart rate for the baby. By heart rate and baby size etc. I was actually a little over 6 weeks. So my home pregnancy negative was a false negative.

It definitely sounds like a cyst could be there. Of course, things could still happen to cause a miscarriage, but a cyst does not mean the pregnancy is doomed if you are also pregnant. Talk it over with the doctor. And if she insists on you waiting, then go see someone else. You need to find out so you can get yourself taken care of. Your past history with miscarriage and your current history with the late period, etc, should be enough to get your doctor to see you now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts when I was in the Marine Corps. Cysts can indeed mimic a positive pregnancy test. If you've been TTC, the best way of knowing if the test was really positive or a false positive is to check your ovulation days. Since you have irregular cycles, you should think back to the days when you had an overabundance of clear discharge. If you had sex around that time, then it may be more pregnancy than a cyst that's giving you the positive test. I usually get brown/red discharge for a few days in the midst of my cycle, but when I am ovulating, the discharge is clear and there's a greater amount of it than usual. I used to have extremely irregular cycles before I had my tubal ligation, so the only way I knew I was ovulating was if I watched for the clear discharge.

I would go see the doctor and get a urine test done for pregnancy. I'd also have them do an ultrasound because they can detect cysts that way as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had cysts (and 3 children) and my cysts were totally different- had no idea they were there til I was doubled over in pain, unable to move! It sounds like it could be either for you- I would be surprised if you Doc wanted to wait a whole month to see you for your yearly about this- you need to call and be seen to have a work up done so that if you are indeed pregnant you can take the steps possible to safeguard the pregnancy. Best of luck to you- please keep us updated!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am guessing and only guessing-ok. That you have miscarried early in a pregnancy. The test wold come up positive and could acct. for the bright blood. But what I know is-don't ask us,go in. They will not make you wait for an annual physical w/ a potential situation. Insist politely for an ASAP appt.
    If you did miscarry you could need a D&C, and may need some genetic testing,could be cysts... But why guess. I assume you have medical coverage as you are TTC. Please take care. Would like to know how it turns out if you care to share. Hugs and prayers sent your way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My wife went through similar symptoms. She even went far enough to have a large enough glob of tissue come out that she thought she had had a miscarriage herself. Each time something strange happened, she went to the doctor, each time confirming that she wasn't pregnant. Occasionally switching up her birth control has greatly diminished the amount and frequency of her cysts, as well as her wildly abnormal periods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree you need to be checked asap, if you have any temperature or other signs of infection. Some people have bleeding when the embryo implants or have small periods even while pregnant. You would want to rule out ectopic or miscarriage as you could become septic if parts are retained. Get a Doctors opinion. Good luck

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd see a Dr. ASAP. If you are pregnant and bleeding, you want it checked out. When I finally did get pregnant, I did have some brown discharge 7 days after my two babies were transfered (I did IVF) when they implanted.

I hope everything turns out ok

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK, so I went to see my doctor on Friday and....I'm pregnant! She didn't really have a great answer for all the brown discharge but she saw a sac in my uterus. She said I'm only like 5 weeks along, so I'm trying not to get excited yet.
    I go in again in another couple weeks to do another ultrasound and get an estimated due date.
    Cross your fingers for me!
    Thanks for all your support :-)

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What wonderful news! So happy that you will be blessed with a wee one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

congratulations!!! What an awesome blessing! I'm wishing you a healthy and uneventful pregnancy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Around Christmas time last year I started getting a lot of pain/cramps went to er and they said it was cysts. In Feb it got really bad and I went to dr, she did a preg test and it came back positive but thought it was ectopic. It was not and I now have a healthy little boy!

Congrats! Hope you have a nice safe uneventful pregnancy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!!!!