Saving for Baby

Thread: Saving for Baby

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Saving for Baby

My 16 year old stepdaughter is pregnant and her mother is basically ignoring the situation. How do my husband and i get her the things she needs for her baby with a limited budget. Our youngest is 10 so we haven't have to deal with baby stuff for years. I haven't a clue where to find stuff like coupons and things for diapers and formula and what not.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Look up Craigslist and Freecycle for your area. This is where people get rid of cribs, strollers, high chairs, etc.

Go to yard sales. Baby clothes are cheap. Check out church rummage sales, too. Ask everyone. Many people are willing to pass along free baby clothes and other items that are used but still in good shape. Babies wear the little clothes for so short a time, it's not unusual to pass them among several children.

Look up the website of every manufacturer of baby stuff you can find. Some of them will have email newsletters you can sign up for. Some have "new mom" programs with freebies and discounts.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't forget your step daughter needs to contribute, too. She probably can't do it all on her own, but she needs to take some responsibility because this is HER child. If she can't contribute monetarily, she needs to do chores and help around the house to earn some of the help she's receiving, not as punishment, but to help her learn self-dependency and pride in herself. The baby's daddy needs to be contributing, too, either voluntarily or through a court order. It's his child too and he needs to accept that responsibility. Help her plan what to do, but don't do everything for her. She has to grow up now.

If she can breastfeed, that would save money over buying formula.

I would agree with CL, thrift shops, garage sales, etc. Also keep in mind that kids don't need half the stuff people buy for them, especially when they're really little. Get the basics, and give yourselves all some time to get your feet under you while you work your way through the intricacies of this new situation. You're all dealing with a lot now, so try to breathe, let the dust settle, and take things one step at a time.

There may be counseling services in your area set up to help teen moms. Get in touch with them. They would know what other resources are available in your area.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My last baby is 17- yrs old now..but,I use to go to the diaper and formula websites and sigh up to be put on their mailing lists..

Also she should apply for WIC (women,infant and child) now..your stepdaughter can find it by searching the computer in her area..

Asking family members,friends to save the baby anything coupons from their newspaper..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does your stepdaughter live with you or her mother? I would advise a group meeting with her mother, you and your husband and the baby's father and his parents (if he is a minor.)
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

She lives with us part time and we are going for full custody. The baby's father wants nothing to do with any of this and neither does my stepdaughter's mother.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And yes the baby's father is a minor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tough cookies if the father wants nothing to do with it. He shares equal responsibility for this baby. Furthermore, if your stepdaughter asks for any public assistance, he may be required to be involved financially. It's not the taxpayers' responsibility to support this baby, it's his or her parents' responsibility, and that includes its daddy. He had a choice before he made this baby, but he does not have the choice now to ignore his responsibility any more than your stepdaughter can ignore hers. Hopefully for the baby's sake, the parents and grandparents will all be able to come together to do what's best for the baby. Good luck. I know things can get ugly in these situations.

At sixteen, doesn't your stepdaughter have something to say about which parent she lives with? Have you checked with family court and/or asked an attorney what her legal rights are when it comes to her living arrangements? If Mom doesn't want to have anything to do with the situation, maybe she won't oppose the change and then your legal costs would probably be minimal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynJo View Post
    She lives with us part time and we are going for full custody. The baby's father wants nothing to do with any of this and neither does my stepdaughter's mother.
    He might not want anything to do with it but he has no choice. For the next 18 years, the baby will be part his financial responsibility. I would suggest seeing a family law attorney at your earliest convenience to straighten out everyone's rights and responsibilities.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of the medicaid managed care plans in our state give the mom credits for each prenatal visit they keep. They are able to earn enough gift cards to buy a crib at a discount store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some great wisdom posted here. DH and I just had a baby 5 months ago, and I earned money for many baby things by selling things on Facebook and eBay. On Facebook, there are often groups for your county, town, or area called swap shops, yard sales, etc, and you can sell nearly anything here. Clothing, shoes, building supplies, tools, toys, bedding - I even sold a used, but clean, cat litter box! Just snap a pic, upload it with a description, and price it. Most teens are great at this. You can also find baby things for sale in these groups, which is very handy if you live in a small town that is a good distance from anyplace listed on Craigslist. Our area also has "free" groups on Facebook, where members may offer or request things for free - similar to Freecycle.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

bulk buying diapers on amazon is way cheaper in the long run!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cloth diapers are even cheaper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you live in a large city, there may be a teen pregnancy center.....they help with diapers, counseling, lessons on caring for the baby, advise and general support....some girls just need a place to vent and to see others in the same boat.....

If you have CVS and Wags, watch their sales....you can pick up diapers cheap.....

FB pages are great too....since I live in a big city, there are tons of groups....some offering things for free....

The baby father is in for a rude awakening....it's his responsible for the next 18 years.....

Good luck....