Cloth Diapers

Thread: Cloth Diapers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cloth Diapers

Would someone please take the time to instruct me on cloth diapers? Its been 35 years since I had a baby and the cloth diapers I've been seeing on Ebay are nothing like the cloth diapers that were used in my day. These new diapers look like cloth Pampers with designs. I'd like to buy a few for my neice but am a bit confused. Some have velcro closures and some snap closures, which are better? What are hemp inserts? What is doubling? What are diaper covers? Are diaper covers always recommended? It seems a shame to cover a pretty diaper with a cover. Are cloth diapers suitable for toddlers as well as babies? Which are more absorbent flannel or velour. Do cloth diapers work well and do they wash well? Please give me your opinions. Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by staceyy; 06-24-2006 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to Add Something

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I diapered my son in cloth until he was about six months old. They have those nice diaper covers. They're usually plastic on the outside and they have velcro closures. You place a cloth diaper folded in thirds (like the size and shape of a large maxi-pad) onto the crotch of the diaper cover and that is usually all it takes. I think that six diaper covers and about 40 cloth diapers is sufficient if you plan on laundering them yourself. A friend of mine puts a piece of tissue or toilet paper on the cloth diaper between the baby's bottom and the diaper which makes it easier to remove poop from the cloth diaper. You can lift the tissue off the cloth diaper and just flush it. You'll want to make sure to invest in a five gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid to store water mixed with a bit of detergent to keep the dirty diapers in until they're ready for washing. I see diaper covers and even cloth diapers (sometimes new in package) at the thrift store all the time. I outfitted my sone with 8 diaper covers for about five dollars from the thrift store. I hope that this is helpful. It is a bit confusing. You will save hundreds (actually, well over a thousand dollars) over the two to three years of diaper needs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the input. Anyone else?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been looking at cloth diapers on eBay all morning - I'm expecting my first and plan to use cloth diapers, so no experience here yet.

I found this was the most comprehensive article explaining all of the variations of cloth diapers:

http://reviews.ebay.com/The-Lowdown-...00000000209863

HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make mine from tshirts & sweatshirts & find that they work the best and they are sooooooo cheap!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's tons of information at diaperpin.com. DS is 100% cloth diapered. I use mostly prefold diapers and covers. Also fitted diapers (shaped to fit the baby, like a disposable) with covers. We also have some All-in-Ones for outings. We use a dry pail. If the baby is breastfed, you don't have to rinse the poo. It washes right out. For formula poo or older babies, there's a sprayer that attatches to the toilet. Just spray it off and toss the diaper in the pail. For washing, I do a cold pre-rinse, the longest HOT cycle with a TBS of Tide (you don't want too much detergent, it'll leave buildup on the diapers), and 2 cold rinses. I dry my diapers in the dryer but don't use fabric softner or dryer sheets. Both decrease the absorbancy of diapers. I wash every other day. Cloth diapers are really SO easy and will save so much money.
    Last edited by Jasmine; 06-25-2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: clarify somethings

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations, Sara!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Like you, I haven't used diapers for 30+ years, but I used cloth diapers on all four of my babies. I used gauze or flannel diapers and both worked well. The gauze diapers were about 18 X 30", if I remember correctly, dried very quickly and could be folded in many shapes and sizes. The flannel diapers I made myself from a special diaper fabric that I think I saw recently at Wal-Mart, but I didn't check the price on it (just noticed it while looking for something else). The initial cost might be a little high, but I think the cost savings in the long run would be tremendous.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my girls are exclusively cloth...and this new one will be as well.

I love the flats that you fold for newbaby. but have made a few fitted diapers - 3 layers of flannel in the shape of a regular diaper. and out of old tshirts, sweaters blankets

I recommend diaperpin.com too....or just google 'how to cloth diapers' and the info sites come up. diaperhyena is good too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some really great advice here.