We're pregnant! Ack! $$$ (long) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats and your right God has a plan for you. I am sure things will turn out ok and I agree that babies aren't that expensive even for those on a tight budget. If you need baby stuff, have a baby shower and search craigslist and freecycle/cheapcycle for things people no longer need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations, I believe God has a plan, just do what you can and enjoy this special time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!! SInce you know that $$ is already tight, I would start to really look and think about how to cut back further. Don't wait until the baby is born, begin now. Do you qualify for WIC, or anything like that?? Maybe babysit for people on the weekends (evenings) for when they want get out. Valentine's Day is coming up, that would be a good time, and save your cash from it. You will be okay, somehow we always manage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congratulations!!!

Im not sure anymore how much a doc costs, but the last two times I had a midwife - they were wonderful!! And they cost $3800 for everything except bloodwork and ultrasounds. All my appointments including after the baby was born was included in this amount. So there was no copays, only had to pay my 20% for ultrasounds and bloodwork. A lot of times you can make payments on this stuff too. I know for the last ultrasound I owed like $200 (because I was on a new policy and therefore had to start my 250 deductible again).. But I made weekly payments (through my bank online) of like $10 a week. This is also what I do for the hospital bills from thebirth - paying on those right now and will pay off with income tax refund. So maybe see about going through a midwife.

What you can also do is find out if you qualify for Medicaid. I know NY State for a family of 5 is like $4000+ a month for pregnant women and babies under 1. You can use this coverage as a secondary coverage and they will cover what your insurance doesn't.

See if you qualify for WIC. We are a family of 5 and we qualify and my dh makes decent money. Here is the link to the phone numbers: http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/Contacts...reenumbers.htm
    You can make up to $859 a week and still qualify. (this is over $20 an hour w/out any overtime) http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/howtoapp...lines07-08.htm
    Just getting the milk is worth it... we go threw quite a bit a month. WIC will give you food while you're pregnant, food for any child under 5, and then formula or extra food for you while breasfeeding, and then baby cereal once baby is eating that.

Also what you can do is start buying a pack of diapers when you get a little money. I used to buy a pack a week. though be careful not to buy too much of 1 size. ds2 just outgrew size 1 and we have 3-4 open diaper packs and 3 unopoened that we will give away. Sign up online for everything you can think of: if you're formula feeding: enfamil, similac, etc, go to huggies.com, pampers and luvs websites and sign up, you will get coupons in mail, along with free samples.

I would also sit down and really look at your expenses and see what can be reduced. Do you have cable that can be downgraded? We had a bundle from the cable comp that cost $132 a month. We have cell phones ($75/month), so we got rid of the digital phone and cut cable down to 13 channels (they did charge us $20 to come out and downgrade but well worth the savings). We now pay $55 for 13 channels and cable internet. Pay stuff off when you get income tax return. If you get one of those rebate checks, you can use this to reduce your monthly expenses too. Though usually I would suggest paying highest interest first, in your case you may want to get rid of the smaller debt first that way you're reducing your monthly bills. I would also suggest taking $500 of that money and putting it in an EF fund. (online savings range from 3.75-4.75% right now - IGo, ING,etc)

Did you apply for HEAP? I believe they have the same guidelines as medicaid. In NY state you can make up to $4186 a month and still qualify. You can check with your local DSS.

And don't be afraid or embarrassed to sign up for programs. These programs are there to help people out. And if you are really low on food, maybe you can go to a food bank? is there one in your area? On the news last nite, they were saying that they've seen 80 new families this year so far, so it's definitely not just you who are having a problem putting food on the table.

And if you can afford $2 a week, buy a Sunday paper with coupons (don't buy on holiday weekends - there are no coupons so it's a waste), and sign up on here for a coupon train. There should be one starting here again next week for February. You'll get tons of coupons for products you use. Then if you combine these with store sales you will do well. You can especially save money if you combine your coupons with Rite Aid, CVS, and Walgreen specials.

As far as vitamins, if your insurance doesn't cover, you can ask your doc if he has any samples. You can also buy prenatal vitamins for less than $10. Walmart here used to carry them(check yours they may have them) or you can look at your local pharmacy.
    Congrats again. I'm sure everything will work out fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, $3800 for a midwife?Much better than a hospital & you actually recieve better care. My midwife charges $900. There are some that charge $1500-$2000 here. If you decide on homebirth, you might want to call around & compare rates & talk to friends that might know some midwives & how much experience they have.Hugs to you

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No advice, just congrats!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by many houseapes View Post
    I will second that babies are not as expensive as others think they are... . As far as extra food during your pregnancy...honey, you don't need to eat double portions - but you do need to make sure that the quality of your food is as nutritious as possible - and lots of water. You'll be okay- put your trust in God & don't worry about the details- he already has everything worked out
    I second all that. It only takes about 300 calories extra when pregnant. That's like a glass of milk and a couple tb of peanut butter. Easy peasy. Try WIC to help stretch that food dollar. I think of all the babies born through time and what their mother's ate. You and babe will be fine. God Bless and congrats

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bRATmom View Post
    congrats hon.... babies are really not as expensive as the stores want us to think they are. They dont need all that stuff, they need a diaper on thier butt, food in thier tiny tummies and the love from thier family. Your gonna be just fine. send out the word, you will get more hand me downs then you can shake a stick at.
    I totally agree!

Congratulations!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats!! You'll do just fine. I agree, babies don't have to cost a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congratulations!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much everybody for all the advice and congrats. You guys are all awesome!

We don't qualify for any of the government programs, but I know there are local food bank programs we qualify for. And our family and friends tend to pull together pretty well when a financial problem hits somebody.

I actually barely eat at all, so I just need to ramp it up to healthy, not "eating for two". For dinner I usually eat the equivalent of a quarter of a chicken breast and a little bit of salad. So I just need to eat most of the chicken breast, and have a more rounded diet throughout the day rather than having a piece of apple here and a handful of chips there.

I'm definitely going to jump on the coupon train. I had gotten enough money squeezed out of our budget for the last couple months that I could just stick under a certain dollar amount and we'd be fine. But now it's time to get serious. Today I got out all of the sales ads and only bought things on sale. We don't buy a whole lot of premade products (we've got food allergies - gluten) but there are some that we do use when they're on sale, so I can get some variety in our diets by using sales+coupons.

I'm definitely feeling more upbeat about our finances. We found out today that not only are they doing the financial series at church, but they're doing a Total Money Makeover Live event there too. I'm totally into it. I just need DH to be too. He's the type that needs to have these things be his idea. If I try to push it on him he'll resist. If I just let him come up with it on his own, he'll jump in with both feet and drag all of our friends with him.

Thanks again everyone so much for being so supportive and giving me such great advice. I really appreciate all of it.

Nancy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Firstly - many congratuations!!!!
    I cannot add anything - all such good advice.
    Please try to enjoy this time - it is so precious and goes by so quickly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Get in touch with your electric company they can give you a list of places to get energy assistance you could check with them to see if you could get help on your energy bills.

Spelt is another grain that can be used for people with gluten issues. If you can find spelt flour Oh Yummy yummy its more nutty then regular flour.

You could also cloth diaper instead of using sposies, which will save you a few $1,000 probubly. A GREAT collection of diapers can be gotten for $100.. 200 MAX unless you buy pockets or all in ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12