We're pregnant! Ack! $$$ (long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default We're pregnant! Ack! $$$ (long)

We just found out that we're pregnant a few days ago. We're very excited about it. We always wanted a third baby, but we kept talking ourselves out of it. We decided to try at the spur of a romantic moment one night and Ta-Da! My DH considers himself a stud now.

The next day after we had our romantic moment, it hit me right between the eyes that we can't afford to have a baby. As much as I want a baby, it's just a bad time financially.

Obviously, since it was just one time trying, it was meant to be and I know that God will take care of all of us. But it doesn't keep me from being stressed out about it.

So the only thing that is keeping us from being completely over the top about it is our financial situation hasn't improved much. We're squeaking by as it is.

I'm not even thinking about diapers and all the other stuff we need or the hospital bills, I'm still just worried about how I'm going to be able to squeeze copays, prenatal vitamins and extra food out of our budget. When the food budget is tight (which is 99% of the time), I'm the one who takes half portions - I don't get hungry much anyway - so the rest of the family can have enough. But now, I need the extra food to make sure the baby and I stay healthy.

It's a good thing I'm a sentimental packrat because I've got a few of every size clothes in both genders to get me started. I've got friends who can give us baby clothes and some family that can give us some of the baby gear. We still have our stroller and high chair actually.

I'm not worried about that kind of stuff. It's the day to day stuff we've been struggling with this whole time.

One good thing is that they're doing a Dave Ramsey-based financial series at church starting tomorrow. I've been trying to do Dave Ramsey, but not really doing it because there's no money to do it, but keeping my head in that mindset.

I'm praying that DH will see the light these next few weeks and we can go into it full-bore. We have some things we can sell, but my DH has worked so hard for them and they're long since paid off. I'm hoping he will really see the logic and long-term payoff of selling everything that's not nailed down just so we can get out from under some of this mess.

I was getting ready to get rid of all of the things that the kids had grown out of, but now with a new little one on the way, that's not going to work so well.

Nancy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congratulations to you and your family! It sounds like you have a plan to help with some of the financial aspects of having a baby. It's great that you have saved some clothes and you know that you can borrow from friends and family for other bigger items or have a baby shower to stock up on some items. Have you considered WIC as a way to add essentials: like milk, cheese, peanut butter, and cereals. I think selling things is a good idea if there's money to be made from them. Good Luck .

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

congrats hon.... babies are really not as expensive as the stores want us to think they are. They dont need all that stuff, they need a diaper on thier butt, food in thier tiny tummies and the love from thier family. Your gonna be just fine. send out the word, you will get more hand me downs then you can shake a stick at.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!! It will all work out, don't worry! Hopefully you can breastfeed, that will save a small fortune. If you have a baby shower and people ask what you need, ask for diapers! Great idea on doing the Dave Ramsey series ~ I'm sure you'll pick up some ways to eek more money out of the budget. Keep us posted on how things are going!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Now is the time to eat good and right. Can you cut grocery expense by making more homemade foods or sales/coupons.

It was so hard for me to eat right when I was pregnant and then again when I was breastfeeding. I hope you find a way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on the new addition!

I had a midwife and a homebirth with my second daughter, largely for financial reasons. (although I live in Canada, at the time I did not have healthcare coverage.) It was thousands of dollars less expensive, and a beautiful experience. If I were to ever have another baby I would definitely choose a homebirth over a hospital birth.

This advice, of course, is based on the assumption that you did not have complications with your other deliveries and are in good health.

Again, congratulations on the new addition!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will second that babies are not as expensive as others think they are....and homebirth is wonderful and less expensive. I had my youngest 3 at home & kicked myself for not doing so with the older kiddos.
    I know that here in Tx, even if you have insurance, Medicaid will pick up for anything not covered by your ins...like copays,meds. You might want to try looking into it if you're planning a hospital birth. If you nurse your baby, you don't have to worry about formula. You can use tshirts & make more absorbent diapers than the cloth diapers you buy at the store. As far as extra food during your pregnancy...honey, you don't need to eat double portions - but you do need to make sure that the quality of your food is as nutritious as possible - and lots of water. You'll be okay- put your trust in God & don't worry about the details- he already has everything worked out

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations. I know things will work out financially for you in the end. This baby will be a blessing and not a burden on you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations on the baby!! Just eat right, take care of yourself, and enjoy your pregnancy. I'll bet if you put the word out that you want/need baby things there are bound to be people who would love to give their stuff away. All my friends with kids ended up giving their baby stuff to the next in line that was pregnant and so on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is awesome news! We are trying as well. And you are right - the minute you end up pregnant is when you think of all the reasons you can't afford another baby, etc... You are right about the bills, copays, vitamins, etc.... Cut coupons for the vitamins - I mean there are vitamin coupons in nearly every insert on Sundays. WAGS and Rite Aide have good deals on them. Breastfeed for the first year = no formula cost! Eat well - but you are really not eating for two, just add some healthy calories and buy frozen fruit and veg - cheaper and last longer. Join the next coupon train and cut your grocery bill even more. If a homebirth is not doable, then get seen at the health dept if possible for prenatal visits. It is still early days yet - so don't start stressing to much. Follow DR and you will find a way
    Best Wishes - Dianne

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Look on freecycle and Craigslist for baby gear that you don't have. People are always getting rid of stuff. If you don't have a crib already, they don't need one if you co-sleep. You can cloth diaper and save yourself a fortune.

I second (or third or whatever it is up to) breastfeeding if you can. I know I saved a fortune BFing my three (two of which are twins).

You don't need to buy babyfood. We totally could not afford the twins when we had them. We only bought a few things of baby food for "emergencies". They hated it anyway.

We bought a hand blender ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Braun-MR430HC-Multiquick-Blender-Chopper/dp/B00004S9GX"]Amazon.com: Braun MR430HC Multiquick Deluxe Hand Blender & Chopper: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]) and it paid for itself within two weeks. We would buy frozen veggies and puree them and feed them that. I would cook dinner without salt (we would salt to taste at the table instead) and we would feed them that. When they were tiny, we would puree it. But as they got older, we just put some on their trays. I would make gravies and sauces (with little bits of meat in it) and put that over noodles and a few (thawed) frozen veggies on the side. They would finger food it until they learned how to use a fork (they used a fork first).

We only bought a few boxes of baby cereal (they didn't like it either). We would use it to mix with homemade applesauce or whatever that was too runny. We also used to use it when they first started feeding themselves with a spoon to thicken things slightly to make it easier for it to stick to the spoon. It made it easier for the stuff on the spoon to actually make it to their mouth instead of landing on their lap (less clean up for me and less waste). You can also just feed them regular oatmeal or cream of wheat or whatever for meals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

congrad on you new little one......sign up for wic. It will help........
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats!!! Everything will work out in the end, it somehow always does. Just be patient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast