Pregnancy / Homebirth Book Recommendations

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Red face Pregnancy / Homebirth Book Recommendations

So I'm reading up on pregnancy & homebirth and I wanted to tap everyone's brain on what they've read & liked. I appreciate y'all sharing your knowledge.

Here's what I've purchased (like 2 years ago when I wasn't living very frugally!)

Birth Without Violence
    Spiritual Midwifery
    Gentle Birth Choices
    Birthing from Within
    Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
    Choosing Waterbirth: Reclaiming the Sacred Power of Birth

So far, I've read most of Choosing Waterbirth & I'm reading Spiritual Midwifery right now. Oh, and I've read Birth without Violence.

Thoughs? Advice?

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" was one of my favorites. It is NOT a medical book, but it's a real mom telling you how it really is... gas, cravings, the whole bit. The book was very funny, and not meant to be your only book on the subject. You might enjoy it if you want some lighter reading to throw in there with the more serious stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I actually have that on tape...got it as a bargain book a few years ago. Forgot about it when I made my list...you're right she was hilarious! She actually reads the book on tape herself and she had a great delivery. I must say it was an eye opener for me...she brought up lots of stuff regular books gloss over.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi! I'm a doula and I have to say, the list you've already got up there are some of the best books you can read. A few I might add... let me look at my shelves.... Active Birth is good, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, Childbirth Without Fear and The Birth Partner are also wonderful books. Congrats on exploring homebirth - I've had two (one waterbirth) and am due for my third literally any minute now. PM me if you want to chat further!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the recommendations!! I will probably not be trying to get pregnant until the fall at the soonest but I want to do all I can to get my body and mind ready for it. I've known forever that a homebirth is what I wanted, hopefully I'll be able to realize that dream. I'm going this month to meet with a CNM who does homebirths in Lexington. It's just a preliminary meet & greet type thing.

Do you recommend having a doula along with a midwife?

Congrats on the impending birth!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I absolutely wish I had had a doula with me. IF (and that's a big IF) we try for number 3, I will have a doula. Perhaps more for dh than for myself!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I definitely recommend a doula along with a midwife! Midwives typically do more labour support than L&D nurses can/do (and way more than the OBs, lol!) but they are still there for the role of primary medical care provider. Having a doula as your support for physical as well as emotional needs is really really wonderful, for sooo many reasons. Make sure you interview several to find one that suits your personality as well as birth goals and philosophy. I'll be looking forward to your announcement in the fall!