Could you make it alone and for how long? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I doubt I'd go it alone for long. I have lots of family in the area so I'd combine forces. Why do everything yourself?~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    LMAO!! Brought down by a squirrel!! You'd hate it here - I'm having a major squirrel invasion right now!
    Thanks for the reminder to get some gun practice in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Having been raised in the woods in Alaska, I don't see a problem in any area for myself. I love roughing it on a regular basis, I don't know why but I do.
    I hunted everything with my Dad while growing up from Ptarmigan to bear and dressed all of it as well.
    We have a freakin arsenal as far as weapons are concerned and as for upper body strength, well, a gun provides the perfect upper body strength!! I buck 150 pound bails of hay on a regular basis, so strength is not really an issue, I am skilled in sewing, soap making (of all kinds) making home made cleaners, we have about 3 years of food storage here, candle making, I work on cars regularly as a hobby, I know plumbing and electrical. Been raising chickens, cows goats and horses most of my life, know and am stocked on all of their meds and would not have an issue killing them for food! And by the way, goat meat is gooooood!!!
    We also have a hand pump for the well if and when one needs to be installed! And as far as having to go without the hubby, well I would not like to have to go without him but We have toys here for that emergency as well ROFLMAO

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nvmommyx6 View Post
    And as far as having to go without the hubby, well I would not like to have to go without him but We have toys here for that emergency as well ROFLMAO

DH got a kick out of that one~ LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    DH got a kick out of that one~ LOL
    It just goes to show you, there is a tool for everything!!! (Moor, check your PM's!!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know I could do it. Wouldn't want to, but I could. I was raised in the country. I have learned how to preserve things. I know what you can and can't eat from the "wild" and I have many books on it as well.

I don't do guns, but I would do traps and knives. If needed, I could skin and cook anything that I caught. I am a fairly good cook. I think that I could survive and even provide for my children if we even had some kind of crazy thing happened where we had no electric or water. I can garden and I know how to store stuff. I can start a fire with very little wood and even with damp wood. I know what to look for in a forest that makes good fire starters. Although, might be hard without matches. Haven't had to try that.

Also being a "science person" as my son calls me (I call myself a lab rat) I think I have learned how to adapt myself to a lot of situations. Learned how to think quickly and strategically. I can read instructions and do almost anything. So, if there is a book on how to do something, I will and think I can do almost anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gee, we live in suburbia. Nobody does their own electric - I believe the unions here have made it illegal for private homeowners, plumbing, car work etc.

Whenever DH goes away for work for weeks at a time, something around here goes wrong. Like the 5 inches of water in the basement that lasted a month cause the water table kept rising into the cellar. I deal with it. By borrowing pumps, hooking everything up etc. Our very handy neighbor came to check up on me and was impressed. Duct tape solves everything

So if there was no DH, I'd have life insurance to live off of. Eventually I'd get a job making 2/3rds of what DH made. It would be harder on the kids as they are used to having me around, doing their activities and playdates after school. That would all end. Financially we'd be okay. Being a single parent would suck though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I *have* been told that goat meat is good, but having raised mine from babies, I'd have a hard time killing them. They are very much pets right now, and it would be difficult to violate the trust of an animal that comes up to you to get an ear scratch.

Killing my chickens seems counter-productive, as a live chicken will continue to produce eggs for years, while a dead chicken will provide food for a couple of days, tops.

I have TONS of deer and wild turkey running around my area (not to mention my grain-fed, fat squirrels), although in a REAL crisis, I suppose I wouldn't be the only one considering them as a food source! Also a lot of acorns and pinon nuts, both on my property and in the area. Some edible weeds, but by late spring to early fall, it gets so hot and dry out here, nothing grows without supplemental watering.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

squirrel is very good meat as well...pigeons are pain in the ass but good eating, so are peacocks, giunea's and chuckar....a few to think about adding to the animals! I know it can be difficult to kill a pet, but survival is just that! Goat tastes close enough to pork that if you did not know it was goat, you would not know it wasn't pork!
    They are much gamey tasting when the bone is left in durring cooking so I take the bones off. Just had goat chops the other night, they rocked!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The gun issue- living in NH, we have guns of various types. Hubby is really into them, keeps them safely, but i am terrified of them and while I have shot before, i figure if I am uncomfortable using them i have NO business handling them, so i don't- but it is sometimes in the back of my mind I should learn to
    just in case'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In the end of civilization scenarios you are talking about, I'm not so sure I would particularly want to survive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

However, I would be ok with the squirrels.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvmommyx6
    And as far as having to go without the hubby, well I would not like to have to go without him but We have toys here for that emergency as well ROFLMAO

Don't forget to stockpile those Double A batteries

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, my dh has ALS -- so I do it all now anyway. Not much would change here -- plus I have grown sons and an almost son in law to help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to think I could not live without my husband....

Then he got ill. He died 10 years ago come next March.

At first I didn't acre to keep going but I did. You would not believe what you can do when it comes down to having to just do it. I have survived and done well for ten years and expect things to be better as time goes on. Even as this world falls apart.

I have no fears of not surviving the end of this system that is soon to come. I know I will. because my strength comes form God. He has provided for me until now and I expect he will continue to do so. Not preaching to anyone. It is just a simple fact in my life. It is what has kept me going until now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast