Could you make it alone and for how long? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

end of the world as we know it?

alone? yes I could unless there were warlords or gangs.. then no, I would need help. I alone couldn't fend off others.

though I am prepared to head for the hills, regroup and take them out one at a time!

I wouldn't want to live alone, just doing laundry would take an entire day! chopping wood for cooking and warmth would take a week!

could I, yes, do I want to? no.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know how to do canning, and grow a garden. I can sew if I had to and I could make crafts for money if I needed it. We have a gun and I've use it, but need to practice more. I can crochet a chainstitch but that's about it. I'm lefthanded LOL. I Can take care of the car if I had to. I work out of the home so don't have to worry about that. I need to get a hand pump for our well if we lost power. Don't know anything about electricity or plumbing neither does dh.

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would fail miserably at the "whole world as we know it stop existing" and the sad part is DBF and I have talked about this before. I can't sew (though I'm hoping to learn very soon), I have never tried gardening or canning, I wouldn't know an axel from a time belt in a car, the only plumbing I know is how to use a plunger, i'm scared of being electrocuted if I tried messing with the electricity, we get city water and I wouldn't want to drink water from the river, and I could defintely get a job with more house/pay than the one I have now but right now I choose not to try. (Work is within a bus distance and it's cheaper to take the bus anyways!!) DBF knows how to work on cars and computers so I think we could probably barter those talents for things we could not do. ... Man I need to get cracking at stuff!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure I could. Would I want to still be here without him, no.

The only thing I would do is gut and skin a deer or any other animal for that matter. I'd starve before that happened.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmm... let's see. I was raised to do for myself.

While I'm a SAHM I earn money, i'm almost 50% of our income. Not bad for being home.

I know how to start a fire, chop would, bring down trees, I stay away from huge ones. I can operate a wide variety of power tools although dh is scared of that thought. I can do basic plumbing but stay away from electrical.

I grow a garden, have an apple tree, know how to preserve food. I can sew and knit and enough crochet to mend sweaters. I can't have certain animals but know how to raise chickens and rabbits. Even know how to skin one, we had a trapline growing up.

I can fish, but don't hunt, and I can clean a fish well enough.

I'd be far from crippled if something were to happen to dh.

I also have an RV that my kids and I could live in comfortably if the city were to go do carp. It's store in the country, I'd load up the blankets and stockpile and off we go. I even have a garden plot out there, heat, campstove. And other tools required.

I also have a bsic knowledge of foraging, wild potatoes onions, berries and mushrooms as well as various nuts and other edibles.
    Last edited by mommy4ever; 12-21-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ceashels is extremely independent. I have no doubt she could and would thrive on her own - she was doing it before we met.

But - I consider it part of my responsibility as her partner to ensure that my end is held up, even if something should happen to me.

So I carry a *substantial* life insurance policy, so that if the worst should happen, she will be free to choose what she wants to do with herself. She will never *have* to work again a day in her life, if she doesn't want to, whether I'm around or not.

Of course, she's so independent, she has a thriving house cleaning business anyway...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Right now, I do not have many skills that I have actively tried. I am convinced that I have many skills hidden. My 2 major survivor skills: I have good friends who can do lots of different things and I can read a manual. I have several books at home concerning home repairs, etc and a basic toolkit, so I'll manage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I couldn't but I am working on it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow Moor, that is an impressive list of skills!
    I can do basic plumbing and electric work. I helped roof a house for HFH several years ago, so I suppose I could do so again if I had too. I do yard work. I have too much shade for much of a garden, but that is something I would like to learn. If I had a garden, I would also learn to can and preserve food. I can sew. I don't have a gun and have only shot a gun as a teenager when my older brother was trying to teach me to shoot. I hate the idea of needing a gun to survive...
    Last edited by RaineyDaye; 12-24-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi everyone. This is my first post so please bear with me.
    I found this thread fascinating and each and everyone's take on how they could handle life without DH in an apocolyptic situation.

I lost my DH only 2 1/2 years ago and I have had to make it on my own since then. I have chickens and a large garden. I have fruit trees and berries. I freeze and dry most of my harvest. I don't can. I have had to handle each and every emergency as it has come up. Two years ago I was without electricity for almost 2 weeks in subfreezing temperatures. I did what I needed to do to make it through and I learned from the experience.

I have several guns, a supply of ammo and a large dog for protection.
    I have plenty of food stockpiled.
    I have a generator and a supply of gasoline. (wouldn't last long but it would help until I figured out what to do next)

I have property with lots of wood available.
    My DH and DS built the house that I live in. I have all the tools necessary to build a house (not necessarily all the skills) and I have no mortgage.

It is interesting but I have been pretty much snowbound since before Christmas and I have gotten along just fine.

I am continually trying to increase my self-reliance and have pretty much made that my therapy after my husband's death.

I CAN make it alone. I don't think that I could survive long-term without help from my sons and my wonderful neighbors. I am lucky to live where people help each other out and check on each other in emergencies. We can be independent and self-reliant but I think we would all have to be interdependent to survive long-term in a major catastrophe.

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    Ceashels is extremely independent. I have no doubt she could and would thrive on her own - she was doing it before we met.

But - I consider it part of my responsibility as her partner to ensure that my end is held up, even if something should happen to me.

So I carry a *substantial* life insurance policy, so that if the worst should happen, she will be free to choose what she wants to do with herself. She will never *have* to work again a day in her life, if she doesn't want to, whether I'm around or not.

Of course, she's so independent, she has a thriving house cleaning business anyway...

excellent point Greebo!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My DH and I just sat down and went over a comprehensive "Survival Plan" of what to do next should, Heaven forbid, I be left alone. He handles the finances and is the breadwinner, and even though I have a business degree I haven't paid as much attention as I should. I also don't work outside the home right now, outside of occasional substitute teaching. It was a very important, very enlightening discussion. Quite a relief to us both. (I had no idea he worried so about me... that was enlightening, too...)

~Mary

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minner77 View Post
    My DH and I just sat down and went over a comprehensive "Survival Plan" of what to do next should, Heaven forbid, I be left alone. He handles the finances and is the breadwinner, and even though I have a business degree I haven't paid as much attention as I should. I also don't work outside the home right now, outside of occasional substitute teaching. It was a very important, very enlightening discussion. Quite a relief to us both. (I had no idea he worried so about me... that was enlightening, too...)

~Mary
    It's nice to know "the plan". When dh and I discuss "the plan" we call it PLAN B. lol. It's also good to know that BOTH of you were enlightened.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I would be good. I do depend on my husband alot because he's just so darn helpful but I know that I could do it on my own. He is in the military so he's been gone for half our marriage overall anyway. It just becomes second nature and you really see what your capable of when you don't have a choice and no one else to rely on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I could physically survive, and I suppose I'd have to, you can't just give up and die when you have a kid. But I'd be soooo sad.

I can garden, hunt a little, trap, weave fishing nets, build fires, build shelters, purify water, make things out of stuff.

(it's actually a really fun game..pickup a random assortment of stuff and then try to figure out what useful thing you can make out of them.)

I also have a route planned out from my house in the city to my friends farm (following power lines after leaving the road so I wouldn't get lost). My friends and I have "stops" planned along the route so we'd know where to look for each other in case their places were also compromised.

I have excellent camping gear. i'll look for a sale on that stuff..but WILL NOT compromise on the weight or quality. I figure if I'm ever going to NEED it it had better be exactly what I need.

I have a "garden in a container" of heirloom seeds that weighs only one pound 2 oz. so I could take it with me.

Yikes this makes me so sad to think about...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast