Could you make it alone and for how long? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It all depends on how you grew up, I guess. I didn't want to be dependent on a husband or my parents so I started working the day I turned 18 when my parents could no longer forbid me to work. I then got married to escape living with parents. I eventually left the first husband and lived on my own for the first time. I loved it! It took me over 10 years to decide to marry again and share a home with someone. I was quite happily living by myself. I don't get lonely, I get busy and sometimes I am happy to just enjoy a quiet evening doing nothing but being lazy. But I got married again, had a child and then got divorced and DD claims she's not leaving. I guess life is just too good living with me and I don't make her do enough chores to drive her away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i would honestly have to say in my case....'how long would my dh 'survive' without me ??

i am the one with the 'necessity skills'....he goes to his desk each day while i am the one out here surviving....and i do do most of it... i decided long ago that if he goes off and earns a good paycheck...i will take care of the rest....and i do.... what my mother didn't teach me....life finished....i can do an awful lot 'for a girl'..what i may lack in 'power' i make up for with 'shear determination'.......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would be ok. I worked logging for 2 years so falling a tree and chopping wood is no problem. I worked at a slaughter house for over 5 years so the slaughter of beef would be no problem.
    I know how to sew, crochet, dehydrate and can. I am learning how to garden right now. I can cook from scratch and cook and bake over an open fire.
    I helped my dad renovate a few houses so I know basic carpentry, plumbing and electrical. I know basic car repair.
    I have done vaccines and euthanization on animals so care of the animals is not a problem.
    I am homeschooling the kids so their education is not a problem. I have alot of books and a white board to work on for them. So even though most of their courses are online we could still keep up with the work.
    My dh tells me all the time that one of the things that attracted him to me is the fact that I don't need him. I was a single mom for 5 years before I met him and did it all myself and he likes that. He likes the fact that I don't need him here but do WANT him here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! You women are awesome! I cant even build a fire!!! My parents came from the school that men do "men work" and women cook, clean and take care of kids. I know how to cook, clean and take care of kids! I married a man who is also from that school of thought. I guess I have a bit to learn, huh?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We grew up hiking and camping - really roughing it with our Mom. We learned to use a bow and arrow, guns, took martial arts - though at this stage - I'd put more stock in guns and the bow, LOL. My father is paralyzed from the waist down - since I was 6 - so from a very young age - we were doing all sorts of repairs, electrical and plumming with just his guidance and supervision. Plus, he had a FULL woodshop in the basement and we grew up with all those toys.
    He was also the one to really push us to do things as basic as can be. One year, he asked if we should have pumpkin pie for a holiday - I said of course, he handed me a pumpkin and told me to figure it out! He's also the one who taught me to sew - I wanted a skirt, so he took me to the fabric store and sat me down at the kitchen table - same thing - figure it out. I loved that skirt :-) and it's the sewing machine I use to this day. His basic motto was if you want to know how to do something - do it.
    We have basic foraging skills (the kids and I), we learn a little/try a little more each year.
    I'm really counting on our garden this year to help boost our stock pile. I want to learn to can meat and soups and such so as not to count on the freezer too much.
    As for the squirrels, no problem. Now raccoons - they scare me.
    I'm not sure how alone I'd be though. My brother lives upstairs, our sister just 4 blocks away, and we have a cousin living another 4 blocks away in a different direction. Figured if we can't live in the country - we're darn sure living close to family!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelli_wnj View Post
    Wow! You women are awesome! I cant even build a fire!!! My parents came from the school that men do "men work" and women cook, clean and take care of kids. I know how to cook, clean and take care of kids! I married a man who is also from that school of thought. I guess I have a bit to learn, huh?
    Well I can't clean or take care of kids, so you are ahead of me in that arena!! I guess that means that I could survive, but if left to my own devices, the species would end with me!!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HandyMom View Post
    It all depends on how you grew up, I guess. I didn't want to be dependent on a husband or my parents so I started working the day I turned 18 when my parents could no longer forbid me to work. I then got married to escape living with parents. I eventually left the first husband and lived on my own for the first time. I loved it! It took me over 10 years to decide to marry again and share a home with someone. I was quite happily living by myself. I don't get lonely, I get busy and sometimes I am happy to just enjoy a quiet evening doing nothing but being lazy. But I got married again, had a child and then got divorced and DD claims she's not leaving. I guess life is just too good living with me and I don't make her do enough chores to drive her away.
    LOL, I know what you mean! I have to tell you - I often wonder if I was on my own too long. I'm not sure why, but hubby puts up with me. Man has NO self survival instincts what so ever ;-)
    My daughter has no intentions of leaving. In fact, I was joking that her room is going to be my breakfast nook (it's off the kitchen, and faces the gardens out back - it would be really nice) She informed me "Um yeah, if you want a breakfast nook - we just need a bigger house."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am 53, have 4 brothers, and grew up with a father AND a mother that worked full time outside the home. That was rare when I was growing up. So I guess with my mom as a role model I was pretty independent. Also having 4 brothers made me quite the tomboy. I can do a lot of basic auto maintenance/repairs because of them.

We also spent summers in houses built on stilts on the tidelands of the intercoastal canal. The only way you got there was by boat, your brought all your own food and supplies, there was no utilities or running water. My dad had a shrimp net on his boat, several other families were BIG time fisherman, mom crabbed off the pier, and the kids fished off the pier and swam. The women could COOK some seafood. I was also active in Girl Scouts and did a lot of camping; so I learned a lot of outdoor stuff.

If something were to happen to hubby, I have friends and brothers that would help me. I believe if things were to get dire there would be MORE neighbor helping neighbor, sharing, bartering, etc. I believe I have a very rounded repertoire of skills.

I WILL survive!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As far as my skills and what I have stored or stockpiled I could make it on my own indefinitely. I can cook, clean, do plumbing, build, work on a car,can foods,grow a garden,gut a deer,cut up meat, clean fish,make jerky,bake,do home repairs, sew etc. but I am a very social person so I don't know how long I would make it if I did not have my family and friends and be happy on my own.
    Don't get me wrong I have my yorkies and now my chicks(LOL) and my yorkies are a lot of company. But I love my family and friends and hope I don't have to find out how it would be to live without them.
    Last edited by Janbee; 04-25-2009 at 07:09 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi, new to posting here but curious if anyone else has ever thought this. I have called it going back to "Walton" days. I don't know how many are old enough to remember this TV show. I've said for years that we would end up going back to this way of life out of necessity but probably not in my lifetime ( I'm 55 ) but I see this happening more and more now. Here in Florida storage units are full. A lady who has some says she is handing multiple keys over a period of time to same units. Says families are losing homes and moving in with other family members. Never had so many full units ever and several keys to just one unit. I've read this entire thread and I've noticed almost all skills are covered but this one has these skills and another one those skills. One is good at one thing and someone else another. Someone else has excellent homemaking skills but no survival skills. What used to be called extended family ( Waltons effect ) is being done more and more. Family members living together and contributing whatever they can moneywise, skill wise, etc. Maybe someone dosen't have chainsaw skills, or mechanical skills but can do a wonderful job with kids whose parents work and contribute the money for the mortage and electric. Housekeeping, cooking and cleaning for someone else who does not have the outside knowledge. Frugally of course. Men without jobs can do the lawncare, garden weeding, pruning, feeding animals and care etc. Those with jobs contribute money ( don't mean to sound cold, just fact cause they would be lucky enough not to have lost theirs.) and those without jobs take care of home/physical work. While it wouldn't have to be a huge house this would be especially workable with people like alot of you who have farms and ranches. Alot to be done and alot more do-able with multiple people. Alot more harvestable food and companionship to boot. Dosen't have to be just family. It could be friends including those you know from FV possibly. Everybody helping everybody. Sure didn't think it would be in my lifetime tho. Surprise. Anyone else ever have this thought. Multiple housemates with multiple skills?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Interesting topic - lots of cerebral stuff going on out there!!

Different takes on survival that reflects our varied backgrounds.

What I can do, I could also trade with others who have other specialties!!

I can...

Sew - anything - including upholstery and have even made an airplane cover!!

Cook

Dehydrate

Teach

Computer repairs

Paint

Work with children with all disabilities

Make jewelry

I am learning to....

can food

plumbing repairs

No outdoor skills - grew up in NYC and was never an outdoor person.

Mahalo for bringing this up - I need to get more skills in my repertoire - first starting with a healthy body!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I LOVE the "walton effect" you talk about. I was recently thinking of having another family move in with us - we have the extra space. I don't work, so whoever moved in would have to contribute money and any knowledge they might be able to impart on me. I would watch the kids, clean, cook, etc. As I learn other skills (I am currently learning gardening and hopefully canning) then I would do that as well. Next on the list is sewing...

Hopefully we won't need this mentality, but it's good to know that people still think that way!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can.......

Garden and can or freeze the produce

Hunt and fish, cut up the meat and can or freeze it

Mow the lawn

I have never used the chainsaw but I could do it if I had to. I can also split wood

Cook, clean, take care of my family

Sew if I had to(HATE it, but can if I have to)

I have done without power 9 days, water for 6 weeks, a washing machine for 3 weeks, a hot water heater for a month. I made due with what I had until I could get it fixed or buy new. I have a fire pit in my backyard and a metal cooking grate for it so I could cook and heat water there if I needed to.

I can't do car repairs, etc. but dh and I have male friends in the area who would help me out if I needed them to!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345