Could you make it alone and for how long?
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Could you make it alone and for how long?

A lot of the active members on this site are female, and I've noticed that quite a few are also SAHMs with spouses.

There has recently been a lot of talk about being prepared and surviving in an extreme crisis, threads about stockpiling and doing without clothing and such. I have read a number of responses in which the person states that they would be okay, because their husband knows how to do a number of things.

My question is, how many of you could survive without the assistance of your spouse or partner?

For example, I know how to preserve foods. I took a course in it and got certified as a Master Food Preserver. I am currently working on my stockpile, and hope to have enough to feel comfortable within six months. I know how to spin, knit, and sew, and I can at least chainstitch crochet. I have a garden and I use it, and I also have a small stockpile of seeds from heirloom veggies that I save from year to year. I have a small orchard of assorted fruit trees and I am adding more each year. I am learning some of the basics of soap making and candle making right now, and will be practicing other skills after I get a rudimentary skill going on these. I have chickens and goats, and while I would hate to be put into a position to have to use them for food, I know I could if necessary. In these ways, I am probably similar to many of the people on this site.

I also own several guns and I know how to use them. I practice quarterly. I also have the basics of archery down, although I haven't practiced in about two years. I know enough self-defense moves to get by. I have and practice using pepper spray. Ammo is part of my stockpile. I know and practice CPR. In this way, I may fall into a smaller population in this group, but I know that if things fall apart, it won't all be Little House on the Prairie. It will also be protect what you have or lose it.

I am healthy and relatively fit. I don't have any chronic illnesses and I don't require any prescription medication. I am teaching myself basic plumbing, carpentry, and electrical skills.

I think that I have most of the skills necessary to allow me to survive without assistance, should the world drop into chaos; however (and it is a big however), I have always had trouble with upper body strength, and I think this is my one huge handicap. I couldn't do a pull-up if you stuck a gun to my head and threatened me with dire personal injury. I also tire easily if I have to hold heavy appliances (like chainsaws) up. So there are some things that are just flat out beyond my abilities. I would not be able to put up much of a structure in which to live, and I could only haul relatively small amounts of firewood, water, etc. per trip. My current limit is about 60 - 70 pounds. Anything above that, unless I can drag it, is safe.

I have been working on that, and I'm getting a little better, but I know from experience that even with extensive work, I can only get up to about 90 pounds before I have maxed out.

Another huge issue for me is water. If electricity goes, so does my water. I am on a well, so I am thinking about getting a manual pumping system as a backup, but I haven't really looked into the specifics yet. With a manual system, I'll actually be better off than most, because I will have an almost unlimited water source, and my water (thus far) is quite drinkable. My biggest problem, again, would be hauling it from the well to the house.

So, long preamble over, how ready would you be to make it alone? And What are you doing, if anything, to prepare for the possibility?
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Myself it is iffy if I could survive with out hubby. I am having a major issue finding outsode work but I am great with kids so there will be a good source of income.
    Home life wise I wil be fine. Hubby use to work 90+ hours. I was always on my own. When he was home he slept so I learned how to do things myself. When ever he has a side job for family I join right in and learn. So far plumbing wise I am very comfortable and electric I am shakey but can do. Heat wise not thats scary. My Dad taught me how to do basic car work and carpentry so I should be ok but shakey.Know how I have a on of books about how to do just about everything so if I run into a snag I can always pick up a book and figure it out.
    Houseing wise if we lose our home and have to rough it out doors I will only have issues if I see a squirell OMG I am so scared of those thing. Hunting I have shot a gun when I was 7 ish but want to start hunting next year. Right now I am looking into the safety courses and picking out a rifle of some kind.

In general I would not be 100% comfortable but I will be able to do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know that I would be fine. Dh and I have been married for 4 years and before that, I lived by myself for 4 years and was just fine. I have always been a very independant person. I am a bit rusty on the maintenance, but if it was just me, I'd live somewhere that had a handy man (like a condo or something).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I only rely on my husband for love and money, I take care of everything else. I guess if the world fell into chaos I wouldn't need the money anymore. Not sure I could survive without the love.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by janis362529 View Post
    I will only have issues if I see a squirell OMG I am so scared of those thing.
    LMAO!! Brought down by a squirrel!! You'd hate it here - I'm having a major squirrel invasion right now!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    LMAO!! Brought down by a squirrel!! You'd hate it here - I'm having a major squirrel invasion right now!
    For some reason they are just attacted to me. Ever since I went camping at 14 they have stalked me out. I was camping a group of them chased me into the bathroom. Then to make matters worse I sat at teh pcinic table to eat and they would jump on the table and steal my food. My SIL feeds squirells so when they see me they run up to me and try to climb up on me. OMG I so freak out and run screaming the other way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, they'll be chittering out of the other side of their nut-filled cheeks once you get that hunting license!! The ones around here are downright smug. They sit IN the chickens' food bowl and just stare me down.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    A lot of the active members on this site are female, and I've noticed that quite a few are also SAHMs with spouses.

There has recently been a lot of talk about being prepared and surviving in an extreme crisis, threads about stockpiling and doing without clothing and such. I have read a number of responses in which the person states that they would be okay, because their husband knows how to do a number of things.

My question is, how many of you could survive without the assistance of your spouse or partner?

For example, I know how to preserve foods. I took a course in it and got certified as a Master Food Preserver. I am currently working on my stockpile, and hope to have enough to feel comfortable within six months. I know how to spin, knit, and sew, and I can at least chainstitch crochet. I have a garden and I use it, and I also have a small stockpile of seeds from heirloom veggies that I save from year to year. I have a small orchard of assorted fruit trees and I am adding more each year. I am learning some of the basics of soap making and candle making right now, and will be practicing other skills after I get a rudimentary skill going on these. I have chickens and goats, and while I would hate to be put into a position to have to use them for food, I know I could if necessary. In these ways, I am probably similar to many of the people on this site.

I also own several guns and I know how to use them. I practice quarterly. I also have the basics of archery down, although I haven't practiced in about two years. I know enough self-defense moves to get by. I have and practice using pepper spray. Ammo is part of my stockpile. I know and practice CPR. In this way, I may fall into a smaller population in this group, but I know that if things fall apart, it won't all be Little House on the Prairie. It will also be protect what you have or lose it.

I am healthy and relatively fit. I don't have any chronic illnesses and I don't require any prescription medication. I am teaching myself basic plumbing, carpentry, and electrical skills.

I think that I have most of the skills necessary to allow me to survive without assistance, should the world drop into chaos; however (and it is a big however), I have always had trouble with upper body strength, and I think this is my one huge handicap. I couldn't do a pull-up if you stuck a gun to my head and threatened me with dire personal injury. I also tire easily if I have to hold heavy appliances (like chainsaws) up. So there are some things that are just flat out beyond my abilities. I would not be able to put up much of a structure in which to live, and I could only haul relatively small amounts of firewood, water, etc. per trip. My current limit is about 60 - 70 pounds. Anything above that, unless I can drag it, is safe.

I have been working on that, and I'm getting a little better, but I know from experience that even with extensive work, I can only get up to about 90 pounds before I have maxed out.

Another huge issue for me is water. If electricity goes, so does my water. I am on a well, so I am thinking about getting a manual pumping system as a backup, but I haven't really looked into the specifics yet. With a manual system, I'll actually be better off than most, because I will have an almost unlimited water source, and my water (thus far) is quite drinkable. My biggest problem, again, would be hauling it from the well to the house.

So, long preamble over, how ready would you be to make it alone? And What are you doing, if anything, to prepare for the possibility?
    This is a great question. I have basic plumbing skills but no electrical skills. I can drywall and paint but I havent used those skills in a long time.

I am able to preserve foods and I had a small garden this year and I've ordered seeds for my soon to be greenhouse and next year. I plan on learning how to save and store seed to cut down further expenses.

I also will be experimenting with Lasagna gardening. The book is inspiring. Check it out. It requires no heavy tools or equipment and makes sense.

I could sew if I had to do it. I choose not to do it now because to me it is hard. But I could. I've done it before.

If for some reason my spouse was not around, I would move in with my parents. They have orchards with good harvests and land to plant even though they live in town. That would be the hard part for me. They don't get the need to be prepared because they think having $$ will solve all their issues.

I am stockpiling and preparing my pantry and such and taking into consideration that I am also trying to prepare for my parents also. My mom is in terrible health, but my dad is in great shape. He is an electrician and still working at the age of 70.

I homeschool my little girls so I know that I could continue their education without their father around.

If my dh was not around I would have to find a job since we rely totally on his income. This is the first year I've ever stayed at home.

You have made me think...I still need to be in better physical shape. Someone would still need to mow the yard, haul in our wood, things like that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would be so screwed. DH works on the cars and does the plumbing and all the maintenance stuff around the house. I can do the stuff, but DH usually does it. And, I wouldn't be so great at it. I don't get some of the stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think i would be up the creek without a paddle, I have a law degree so could go and get a job if need be, and i do all cooking and gardening but i still rely on dh there are some things i dont wanna do like change oil in the car and pick up dog poo!!! lol I could if i had to just prefer not to!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd be fine. Dh brings home the money, I do everything else. Two summers ago I re-roofed the garage. I put in the new toilets and trimmed the kitchen. I do all the yard work. I do all the garden, house, food, kid stuff too. I'm not great on cars but my brother is so I guess I'd get by. I have a degree and worked until #6 was born 4 years ago so while our income would dramatically fall we'd manage.
    Last edited by joyofsix; 09-28-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH tells me all the time that the only thing I need him for is the loving, and his money. LOL

I am the one to fix the cars. What he does, I have taught him.
    I do all the plumbing. I can, but don't do any electrical.
    I mow the lawn and take care of it.
    Same with the plants and veggies.
    I can paint and drywall.
    I do all the computer repairs.
    Since the Mikala has learning disabilities, I would send the kids to school, but I have and would in the futre homeschool, if I had to.

DH has some really good insurance on him. So if something happened to him, I would be able to get totally debt free and still have plenty of money to set myself up on a farm. Which is what we are working towards now.
    I tease him all the time about that. He has an allergy to Hazelnuts. I tell him all the time. "Really, do you want me to seperate that can of mixed nuts or just shove the whole thing down your throat?" He just laughs! lol

But really, it would be hard. Because the last time I was self sufficient, was before we got married. That was almost 14 years ago!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can and have survived by myself and can do so again if need be. Zac was deployed for about a year, so it was just Wesley and I. I took care of everything--even fixing the garbage disposal at 2 in the morning! I have weapons and ammunition that I am proficient with should I need to use them for hunting or self-defense. I am able to preserve food. I can reuse just about anything. I have bartering skills.

We'll be alright if the 'sky should fall'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have done it and could do it again. I did it for 3 years. First DH passed away 10 years ago.
    Left me with a house that was in the middle of a kitchen remodel. I hung the kitchen cabinets myself. Did the drywall, paint, did not lay the tile but have since done that. Re roofed my garage to sell it. Did a complete bathroom remodel before selling the house. Can do plumbing if need be, know some basic electrical.
    Did all of the yard work. Ran the snow blower and shovel. I could do it again if I had to.
    First DH taught me so much in the way of maintenance thank god he did as when I got remarried my now DH did not even know how to hang drywall.
    My DB and I totally redid the whole basement in this house. Studded out and insulated all of the outside walls that are not underground (walk out basement here), drywalled, taped and painted. Completely gutted 2 bathrooms and put in everything new. Tile, drywall, vanity, toilet, shower, electrical, plumbing.
    I could do it again except the car I would have to teach myself how to change oil and plugs but I know I could do it.
    I know how to can and freeze from the garden. Have a stockpile that I can use.
    I can sew made curtains for numerous houses that I have lived it. Can sew clothes and patch them up if I had to.
    I think it would be easier this time as the kids are a lot older and could help out more.
    Would be fine money wise as we are debt free so that in itself would make it less stressful this time around.
    I will be the first to admit that being a single parent is the hardest thing that I have done in my life, but you have to just keep on living and hope for the best.
    Last edited by Domestic Gal; 09-28-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I forgot to add some things.

I have my guns and my bow for hunting. I am the one that does all the field dressing and such. lol

I can make soap, candles, and lots of things that I would be able to sell for cash if needed.
    I can sew. I hardly use a pattern for anything. So that would not be a problem! lol
    I can reupholstry furniture. I can also use a lathe for making things. My sister and I have made table and chairs to sell. I also do mower repair. LOL I am the one that changes the plug, oil, and sharpens the blade for it.
    I worked at a teaching zoo for a while in Florida, so I know about animal husbandry, so that would help out. Can also do vaccines and such on the animals.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast