With all that is happening, what are you doing to prepare - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I just recently started stockpiling, so I am adding to that. Canning a lot of things I wouldn't normally can. Trying to make sure I have enough of everything to get by, just in case.

Interesting side note: apparently, California is LONG overdue for the big quake. We average one really huge quake every 150 years, and haven't had one for over 330, as per the news story I was listening to. Southern California is preparing with some earthquake readiness drills, and there was a woman who was an official of some sort (can't recall, because I was kind of only half listening at first) who is putting on presentations re: how to prepare for when the San Andreas fault finally shifts. Similar things to what we have been talking about here - have plenty of food and water available, stock up on several days' worth of emergency supplies, as it may be several days before emergency crews can reach you, learn some self-administered medical techniques, prepare for days without electricity. Kind of made me feel the same way as you are feeling - do I have enough? Am I ready? I think I need more water, as I go through it very quickly, but I'm trying to figure out an inexpensive way to store water that can be used for washing and such (vs bottled water for drinking).
    My friend was hearing a big quake was predicted very soon (like this weekend), from someone who had predicted some of the other major ones around the world. I honestly haven't had time to research what she heard, but I have been working like crazy and my cupboards look like mother hubbards. So I may go shopping this weekend. I have lots of first aid and water, But will make sure the propane for the grill is full. I am also buying a gun- in case there are restrictions put on them.During the riots here I had someone try and get into my house and the police response was pathetic. I am getting every ones passports renewed . In case I decide to leave or send my kids out of the country.That is worst case scenario, but it takes time to get them so I am doing it, as some of ours have expired. I am also looking for a solar cooker, but I do know how to cook in a box stove. I already have gold and silver on hand but am thinking of increasing the amount I have along with having more cash on hand. I am also going to have someone pick me up some antibiotics from Mexico for my emergency supply kit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I believe the drills were going to be in the very near future, but I don't think anyone gave any kind of estimate as to when to expect a quake - just that it was VERY overdue.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I'm building a six month CD ladder through my online savings, each covering a months fixed expenses - rent, utilities, insurance. I like the idea of having those essential costs locked in place, leaving the rest of the emergency fund for other expenses.
    Fantastic! This is definitely what I'm going to do!!! It makes sense.

I'll explain for anyone needing more details. You take one month's worth of expenses and get a 6 month CD. The next month you take a month's worth of expenses and get a 6 month CD. You do this for 6 months. Say you started the first one in January and it comes due in June. In June, you have the choice of taking your money out if you need it or use the money to take out another 6 month CD.
    The February CD comes due in July. So every single month starting in June, you'll have a month's worth of expenses either at your disposal or going into another 6 month CD.

I have heard of retirees doing 1 year laddering with money coming available once a year. But I love the idea of the monthly availability as this money's purpose is safeguarding against layoffs/disability. It's to keep paying the mortgage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've started saving as much as possible, shopping at thrift stores 99% of the time before going to walmart or department stores, cut way way back on groceries and house supplies. There is still so much more we can do - OAMC (started this on and off, but need to do more to curve eating out), stop eating out, simplify the house (get rid of stuff we no longer use) which would get us a lot more organized which would give me more time to do OAMC and keep better track of coupons etc. I'm not just hoping to continue to do this stuff through the "recession" however at all times just cover our own but and hopefully stay away from credit in the long term.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay. Now that, I've taken a moment, I realize that I will build these month by month. I kinda don't have 6 months worth of cash to move into these CDs. So if the minimum value of a CD is $1,000, then maybe month one I put a $1000 into a CD and when it comes due in 6 months I'll add to it. Then month two or it need be month 3, I'll hopefully put in another $1000 etc. If I wait until I have the entire month's of expenses, nevermind all 6 months, then this will be one of those projects that never gets off the ground i.e. a good idea that doesn't happen.

I'd rather have a smaller amount available each month than one lump completely unavailable for six months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I learned how to can this year. Over 300 jars now line my shelves. I still have more to do. I am also going to be purchasing a pressure canner so I can, can more. I am also stocking up on store bought canned items as well as personal items. I am trying to learn how to sew better. I can darn a sock but straight lines are still a down fall for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stocking up on ammunition. While we still have that right...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Unhappy

I thought we were okay until I read this just a while ago:
    30 reasons for Great Depression 2 by 2011 :cyikes4:

And when I finished reading this I saw this:
    Dow Tumbles To 8000

Now I'm really getting nervous.
    We had already started stockpiling, no debt, putting more cash away and keeping an eye on loss leaders at the grocery stores. But I'm getting the feeling we need to pull back even more. Guess I'll go over everything and see what else we can squeeze a little tighter. :csmh:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are getting rid of all our debts, we need to stockpile more. I stockpiled enough tp and detergent to last us until the end of the year (next month). I need to start over again for 2009 and have a decent stockpile that I maintain on a regular basis. I can't believe how crazy things have gotten! We are starting to put as much money away each month as is possible, it's not a lot though! We could survive (just) if one of remained full time and the other dropped to part time, I can't see how we would survive without each of us working though. We are expecting baby #1 in July 2009 and I really hope the economy starts to look up by then. If Dh had no more funding through his school and the agency I work for closed, we would have to move in with one of our parents and try to work somewhere and live by pooling a few generations worth of income.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are making sure that we have plenty of property to be used for hunting, fishing and farming.Making sure we keep the timbered parcels. I have been stockpiling, but know that when the goods run out, I will need to be able to provide off the land for ourselves, and our family, if times are very hard. We continue to save, and have cash on hand.Trying to learn skills.Having a plan prepared.Making sure we have water sources- our wells, the ponds, the lake is nearby, the cistern, also stocking up on bottled water.DH is stocking up the ammo, as I feel that may be more difficult to aquire in the future. Just the same old things we have always done to prepare for possible hard times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not to be a glooms-dayer- but we're also way over due for an epidemic- will it be bird flu, or something else, I don't know, but I worry about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sigh. It's feeling very scary. I

I stock pile as I can... canned goods, HBA....

Asking for things we need for gifts. Rain boots, rain coats from G'ma, etc...
    We are also asking for board games. I would like to have a good selection on hand.

Stay home as much as we can

Eat at home

Save $ as much as we can

Learning.... so I have the knowledge to do more. Gardening, cooking, etc...

Using the library. Tons.

Coupons
    Last edited by brennasmom; 11-19-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by khaski View Post
    Not to be a glooms-dayer- but we're also way over due for an epidemic- will it be bird flu, or something else, I don't know, but I worry about it.
    I also worry about epidemic, or if a big volcano like yellowstone goes off the fallout is very hard on the lungs as it has microscopic glass, I also keep the masks with the aeration filter also for like SARS. My husband had to have them when his Mother died in Singapore of pneumonia- because they had to rule out SARS at first. He bought them for travel, but I keep them on hand. Just in case.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Paid an additional $100 on my cc this month. $310 over the minimum. I need it to go away. I keep paying extra on the car and I am almost 4 months in advance on the payments so I know if the bottom falls not having to make 3 months of car payments frees up 1 year minimum payments on the cc.

I nnnnneeeeeddd to redo my EF. I had to dip and I need to get that PUT BACK ASAP!

Buying more stockpile food. The grocery had canned veggies .33 each limit 10, sugar 5lb bag $1.18 limit one and cake mixes .78 each limit 3. I got mine and Mom checked out the limit for me so I could take advantage and get double and then she REFUSED to let me give her the $8 to cover it! I will have to bake her something, she likes that.

I am going back every day for the next 4 days. That would mean 60 canned veggies, 6 sugars, 18 cake mixes for $35.

The generator came in yesterday, so did the 5 battery free crank flashlight/radios.

Looking into adding more insulation in the attic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started stockpiling food about a year ago, I also switched to using cloth diapers, I have been making candles and stockpiling lamp oil for my lamps, I have been trying to not keep too much money in the bank either. I keep just the bare minimum that we have to have to keep it open. I also have been gardening and learning to bake and cook stuff from scratch. Using a clothesline. There are some other things that i have been doing but I do not have the time to list them all now. I have my new blog where I have been writing about my trying to get my family prepared. Check out my homepage.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast