With all that is happening, what are you doing to prepare - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have all debts paid off. Stockpiled on food and H&B, batteries, solar powered cell phone chargers, warm clothing for mild (Florida) winters and plenty of fans, electric and battery operated. My problem areas are health care and meds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wink

Here's a few things we did this week:

Continuing to add to our can goods when on sale.
    (Waiting patiently on the Can,Can Sale.)
    I bought a case of soap off of ebay.
    Bought 1 gallon each of shampoo and lotion.
    Backed up out toothpaste that was on sale.
    Now I'm searching out deodorant to back up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awhile back I asked the question " is it possible to make a farm generate money with the economy this way. One of the answers I got was very inspirational to me. Besides good farming advice the person closed with " Last and i'm not a religious person, or a preachy type .. FAR FROM IT .. but I do believe this, and it seems to work for me .. when you are struggling, and everything seems totally hopeless .. that's the time to find somebody else who maybe needs a helping hand even more than you, and give it to them, without expecting a doggone thing in return. That's where the best "dividends" are in farming sometimes, and hell .. we ought to take full advantage of it!:-) Thought it was great!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

"when you are struggling, and everything seems totally hopeless .. that's the time to find somebody else who maybe needs a helping hand even more than you, and give it to them, without expecting a doggone thing in return. That's where the best "dividends" are in farming sometimes"
    That was a great statement. :cthumbup:

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, reading this thread has really got me to thinking seriously about some things that we do currently. We only have a small stockpile of goods in our home for various reasons. I am looking to making that larger but finding a place to put it where it is still accessible yet out of the way of every-day workings is becoming a struggle. I do not obsess over things that I can not control. I can not say that my job has complete security but I do know that it does have "some" (beings as I work with homeless men ) so I know that within the next year I want to start changing things around IN CASE something were to happen I would be better prepared for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My main objective is to pay off debt. I can always grow food or we could hunt if necessary but having a home that is paid for is the thing that brings me the most peace of mind in an emergency. I don't want to have to worry about making payments if the economy continues to spiral down into the abyss.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to start stockpiling and wish my dh would go deer hunting. He has a gun but not a rifle. I've canned before but got away from it. Need to get a pressure canner they are great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have no debt and no mortgage. We live on a fixed income which will change drastically next year and the income we live on is small. So for us, whether the economy is good or bad, we keep prepared for all situations.

~we have a stockpile (albeit low right now. We are working on this one)
    ~we grow our own garden (we have 3 of them at present, we may add another one this year)
    ~we spend as few $$ as possible
    ~we make do with things
    ~we try to learn new things throughout the year

I do believe the economy is going to get worse and if we had debt, it would be the very first thing we would work on to get rid of. Debt during these times brings on way more stress than it normally does. I can't stress enough how important it is to not take on any new debt during this time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My DH and I have been concerned about the economy and the way that things are looking in the world for a while and we have taken the following precautions to date.

- stockpile 1 years worth
    - purchased extra ammunition for our guns (the family hunts deer in the fall, so we had guns already)
    - stock of propane for propane cooking stove, lanterns and heaters
    - stock of extra warm clothing, blankets, quilts
    - stock of extra flashlights, batteries
    - large stock of medical supplies
    - large stock of firewood
    - 72 hour bug out bags supplied (in case we have to move quickly due to natural disaster)
    - gold and silver for barter
    - alcohol for barter and pain relief (I know what you are thinking! But more for having to get stitches or removing bullets)
    - skills on wild edible plants and how to use them effectively

That is all I can think of right now but I know there is alot more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been trying to expand my stockpile and also trying to get bills caught up/paid off. I am also trying to learn new ways to save money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile so that we will be able to eat for a long time to come. We have just enough spaghetti for about 75 meals. We have about 7 months worth of meat in the freezer and about another 120 packets of tuna and tons of peanut butter so we will have lots of protien. If I can get anything we use free after coupons I buy it. I have mastered couponing so that I spend less than $75 a month in groceries for 2 adult, 2 kids , cats and 1 dog. I am looking for otehr ways to save around the house and joined the boards here. We have guns and lots of ammo (father owns a shooting range). I know how to load bullets as my father has been doing it for years.
    I love canning and usually just help my mom get hers done but this summer I am going to can lots because I am planning on a large garden.

I am no longer the Schwans man best friend as we have quit ordering from him. We used to order about $120 worth every 2 weeks at minimum but I haven't done that in over 3 years now.
    We eat almost every meal at home with the exception of maybe 5 fast food meals. And then I usually have everyone eat off the dollar menu. The kids eat at school since it is free, so this saves on the amount of food that is prepared. I am wanting to start OAMC but not sure what to do but will be looking into it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Not waiting too long.

When the terrible day comes and we all know it will. Who will you let in and who will you turn away? What questions would you ask yourself?

I've asked myself, the hard question, whose life is worth less than mine and my families.

Did I make a list of those kept out?
    Yes.

Is it a long list?
    Yes, and some are relatives.

Does it matter, Man,Woman or Child?
    No. ( Because there are those that are simply Parasites :-( )

Was this easy?
    No.

The people on my list, I no longer talk to them. Because if I'm friendly they will probably show up at my door. We haven't got there and already I am no longer my brothers keeper. I think we all hope and pray that no one comes.

When our officials tell us that it's none our business what they are doing with hundreds of billions of our money the urgency of preparing just went to the top of the list.

We made the decision 38 years ago to live as much like our grandparents as possible. #1 was to owe no one money and we quickly paid off the ranch. After that it's been cash for everything. The Amish say it best, "Buy what you need. not what you want." No, we're not Amish. :-)

We have been putting up supplies for a long time and rotating them. There is enough to last our 16 member family for several years. We raise a large garden and livestock. We farm with a tractor and horses Our cellar recently became bigger than our house.

I made an extra fuel tank for my truck ( it came with 2 )and modified my Cab over camper so you don't notice it. With the 3 tanks I have 200 gals. Before it's too late this will let me round up my Sons and their families without stopping for fuel. I have stored quite a bit since the price dropped. Farms and Ranch's are allowed to keep storage tanks of fuel.

Everyone must make their own choices. But you cannot expect others to deny their families just to feed and shelter you.

If all of this seems harsh it is nothing compared a financial failure of our system.

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, this has certainly been an interesting thread. It shows our diversity. We are all at different places in what we believe in preparedness and survival. Thought provoking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am trying to pay down debt very quickly. Once it is gone, I will save as much as possible. I am currently looking for a way to earn extra income.

I am also trying to stock up on food. I already have a pretty good stockpile of shampoo/conditioner, body wash/soap, toothpaste/toothbrushes, detergent, and dish soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. Don't forget sources for water and method for water purification. We have 1,000-gallon capacity in our rain barrels. Racks in the basement hold 5-gallon jugs (around 100-gallons). Several collapsible 5-gallon containers. Two 5-gallon camp showers (these are black bags you sit in the sun to heat the water for showers). We also have installed a way to securely hang one of these bags in our shower stall in the house in order to shower inside. I have an electric and a non-electric water distiller - the ultimate method for water purification.

2. I've made a commitment to only purchase basic - no frill - items, loss leaders, and discount specials on my trips to the grocery store. I'm using things from storage and replacing them as soon as there's a sale/bargain/coupon on the item.

3. Continue to reduce the use of high-priced meat.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast