With all that is happening, what are you doing to prepare - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    Currently I take advantage of a food pantry which is once a month. I don't feel guilty or too proud to accept a little help. I would rather do this and still be able to make ends meet. We both have worked hard all our lives, like a lot of other folks out there.
    I'm glad to hear this.
    I have often heard of people eating rice & pork 'n beans continually for weeks on end instead of applying for assistance.
    Not that there is anything at all wrong with rice & beans, but if a person can qualify for assistance in order to eat a more healthy, well-balanced meal, then I feel that they should.

But in this day and time, if one needs the help & will qualify, then a person defiantely needs to apply for any help they can get.

I'm glad to hear that you have begun to check into what your family would qualify for *beforehand*, that way you already have an idea of what amount you could be recieving.

I wish you both luck & I will continue to say a prayer for your family.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tonight, I looked at our retirement funds and our other investments. Even though it was scary, it was also empowering. Instead of wondering how bad it was, I made a list of everything with up to date values. Honestly, it was not as bad as I expected. Or, it was not as bad as the news lead me to believe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That was really brave fixer! Good for you. Sometimes just facing what we think is a total disaster is the hardest part.

I've found a new odd strategy for stockpiling, don't know that it's the best strategy, but I just try out every idea I get.

Whenever they have a BOGO deal or a buy two get one free deal on something I already buy, I put the free one in the stockpile. Oddly enough it seems to be working, and really diversifying the stockpile.

I never really realized that if it's going to be used over a long period of time it's good for it to be big..but it probably needs more variety as well.
    Last edited by Thevail; 03-10-2009 at 02:57 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've simply stopped being much of a consumer and I am doing everything possible to NOT spend money and to save it in the bank instead. I don't shop much for "fun" anymore. I seldom even stop at yard sales because it's hard for me to pass up a bargain and instead I want to have my own sale and purge all this excess stuff we don't really need. I've slowed down on my internet purchases also for things I like to collect. I've decided I have "enough". I've rented only one video in the past 4 months and I've been getting them for free at the library or watching shows online for free also. I never buy them. No magazine or newspaper subscriptions unless they are free. I don't clip coupons for those things I don't use, either nor do I waste time looking at sale ads for stores further than 5 miles from home. It's not worth my time or the gas running around just to use a handful of coupons when my pantry and freezer is full.

I've stockpiled since way back before the cans and boxes shrunk and the price increased.I am stockpiled to the max and some items I will not be replacing once they run out. Things like cereals, white flour, sugar and artificial sweetners are going to be a thing of the past while I focus on using healthier alternatives and cooking my own breads, breakfast food and crackers rather than purchasing the over-processed garbage they are selling now. It's time for a big change and since food is no longer cheap and convenient I will be much more choosy about what I buy and what we eat. In a small way, the recession or depression, whatever you want to call it, has forced me to taking steps like this that I would otherwise not even think much about because it was too cheap and easy to buy convenience foods. Now the best way to save money is to make everything yourself and be choosier about the ingredients you use.

I can't even rely on buying fresh produce at the big grocers because of e-coli and other scares so I will be buying more local, preserving what I can and not buying as much. I also will be trying to grow more of my own food. The things I happen to like most are not even that hard to grow.

That's my plan. It was interesting reading what others are doing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I could have written those exact words, handymom.

I have a bookcase under the stairs, most of the books we never ever look at so I will be selling those and buying a cabinet, for my stockpile to go in as we have very little space here.

I remember a couple of Christmases ago, the pressure of spending money when we didnt have it and I longed for a more simpler time when kids got just one item or much less than they do today. I feel relief that that time is coming, I think it is a positive thing for my family anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now that I got a running inventory sheet of my stockpile going I feel a little bit more in control. Today I am adding the prices to it so I always know I am getting my best deal.

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today I will continue to use my dehydrator and free up some more room in my pantry. I'm liking it so far, it's providing me with TONS MORE SPACE.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

if i didn't have so much darn debt....i would be buying up the stock market right now....that's what i would be doing ....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I thought I would bump this up. And check how people are doing and if they have updated their plans for weathering this(I think it is going to be a double dip recession. I am still in moneymarket/basic savings plan in the 401k and plan to stay that way for a while yet. My husband is retiring by the end of next year so may roll it out and buy a house in the 401k at that time. If there is a big crash I may put a toe into the market in my 401k. I am still looking just to continue to pay debt and stockpile so I have only been maximizing the DH 401k. I would like to buy more gold but cannot at this time. My stockpile would be enough to get me thru a year but I am now working on the 2 year plan, I am only trying to buy the necessary stuff. All the earthquakes have me getting more prepared with stockpile and possibly moving is making me sell off items so I do not have to cart them with me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh and I fear inflation. To hedge against our money being less we are buying non perishables and storing them. I've also been creating a stockpile of HBA. You can't really do this too much with medications because of the expiration date. I'm also buying ahead shoes, coats, jeans, sweatshirts for the kids when I find a great sale. I'm buying very plain items that won't be dated. We can always add a few 'cool' items later. Even if inflation doesn't hit these are all things we can use so there's no real economic downside.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, we are past the 2 year mark of my husband being under employeed and us barely scrapping by. Things are progressing out this way with new businesses and construction, however the people who've been hired to do the jobs are not Americans but illeagals It just blows my mind to see tons of construction going on and my husband whose in that field is NOT getting call backs because the positions are filled. What does that mean for the tax paying American construction worker???? Are they never going to get called back to work? Will my husband be delivering pizza and doing odd jobs til he retires? Is this all there is out there for him now? It's a scary thought because we can not continue to live like we have been, eventually we will hit a brick wall. If things get worse in this country then, well....I just don't know???

What I've been doing is stockpiling as much food as I can. I have no desire to go to the food pantry. I've had to do that before and I just never, ever want to go there again. I need to start working on HAB and things like toilet paper, I need to get stocked on laundry making supplies, making herbal tinctures and homemade cough drops (started, nothing new about this though) stocking up on things like collidal silver~Ivy syrup ect. Need to avoid doctors bills at all cost. I figure I'll add more blankets since our heat will be very low this Winter. I don't really know what else can be done. I'm just doing more of the same.

I try my best to maintain a positive attitude, but I'm feeling less and less confident about our economic recovery with every construction site I pass.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH has been umemployed for 3 months now, but we went into it pretty prepared. We're just paying the bills as they come in, trying to stockpile food whenever we can, and keepin' on keepin' on.

I'm pretty concerned about inflation going haywire as soon as things get better economically. The 80's were bad that way.

So I'm trying really hard right now to tuck in my horns and keep adding to the stockpile when I can. I'm also trying to learn new skills so that I don't have to rely on the mass produced stuff and the stores that sell it for everything.

Last month I knitted 2 dish towels and scrubbies from yarn I already had.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I thought I was 'frugal' before I have become even more so. Think, re-think and double think everything that I am buying, including some food items, if they are perishable.

Very aware of everything I am using and if I am using it at the most efficient level that it can be used......food, heat, etc.

Very conscious of things I have wasted in the past....mainly some food items, and making sure it isn't happening now. (IE: the juice from canned fruit, broth/liquid after using the crock pot, even BONES with meat on them when I have eaten the meals it provides, the 'zest' that lemons and oranges provide that I never saved, the celery leaves that I used to toss....this is all being saved and USED)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One thing I have noticed is that so many people are "business as usual". I really believe that hyperinflation will hit at some point, and I really want to be ready with the necessities. One other thing that I consider is that those of us that are prepared will have unprepared neighbors knocking at our doors for help. They can have my rice (I recently started eating low carb) and I will keep my canned meats and veggies!

I have some things stockpiled but not nearly enough. I need to quit stockpiling the hair products lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I too fear inflation once the economy heats up. I am old enough to remember the early eighties. I borrowed money at fourteen percent. I had good credit and this was from my bank. It amazes me how people can't imagine high interest rates. We bought our first home in 1991. Our thirty year fixed rate mortgage was nine and one half percent. Now, it is assumed no one would by a house at those rates. We have been trying to save as much money as possible. If we do enter an inflationary period, the Fed will have no choice but to raise rates. I want to be in a position to take advantage of them.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast