Learn something new!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Learn something new!

I have been trying to learn new things now before I actually need them. I do not want to wait and then need to know how to cook with a solar cooker or bake bread on a grill. I am doing it all now so I will already know how to do it.

I want to learn how to dress a deer and other small game so if we need to hunt. I also am wanting to learn how to filet fish,

What one thing have you been trying to learn before anything happens so when the time comes you already know how to do it??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

anything medical!! However most of that is not learned until your in the situation and it is a hands on thing!!
    I did learn how to give my own stitches last summer, besides the sharp pinching for each entrance, it was fairly easy and painless!

Beyond that I think trapping would probably be an area I could use more knowledge in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

how to garden -- and then can!
    ~Mary

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A great reference text for everything you ever wanted to know about producing and processing your own food is Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living. INDISPENSIBLE, IMHO.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have that book! Didn't even think to look there!

Of course what I really wish is that she -- or someone -- would just materialize and show me in person. I'm a little afraid to teach myself, given all the warnings I read about food going bad if you don't do it right.

Thanks so much for the tip!

~Mary

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

baking the best whole wheat cookie cutter cookies in the world! ok the world may be pushing it a bit.. but at least in my grand children's world!

using butter flavor crisco rather then butter since butter may not be available and I may need to eat all my goats!

playing with the no bake cookie recipe.. adding this flavor and less of the cocoa powder.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I recently learned how to make soap!! I would love to learn how to sew. I got a sewing machine from Freecycle, but haven't had time to do more than experiment with it.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I would love to learn how to sew. I got a sewing machine from Freecycle, but haven't had time to do more than experiment with it.
    I would be happy to talk sewing down in the sewing area! I can't post links until I have 15 posts.. but have great links for sewing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel91316 View Post
    A great reference text for everything you ever wanted to know about producing and processing your own food is Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living. INDISPENSIBLE, IMHO.
    I have to agree. Any book by John & Martha Storey, especially Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance are great too.

My next skill would have to be making soap. One thing you won't see me do is dress a deer. That job goes to dh, hands down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Readers digests back to basics book is a great one also. It teaches a lot of old time skills that would really help you learn some traditional american skills that many people have forgotten how to do.
    Here are some printable field guides on how to "dress" an animal if you hunt.
    http://hunting.about.com/od/deerbigg...fielddress.htm

This one is also printable and has how to do a little of everything. Big game, small game, birds, and fish.
    http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/uk071.pdf
    Easy to print and have on hand if you need it.
    Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I would be happy to talk sewing down in the sewing area! I can't post links until I have 15 posts.. but have great links for sewing.
    Cool! I will have to wait until next week to take you up on it, as I doubt I'll have much time this week! I can't even sew a straight line!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm learning to garden, vermicompost, and can. I learned a lot about gardening this past summer, but lost too many tomatoes to the squirrels. Next year, I'll expand my garden, add proper fencing, and hopefully yield enough to can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    I'm learning to garden, vermicompost, and can. I learned a lot about gardening this past summer, but lost too many tomatoes to the squirrels. Next year, I'll expand my garden, add proper fencing, and hopefully yield enough to can.
    Ooh, another vermicomposter!!! Do you keep your little guys inside or outside? I have mine in the downstairs birds' room (converted garage).
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    Ooh, another vermicomposter!!! Do you keep your little guys inside or outside? I have mine in the downstairs birds' room (converted garage).
    I'm in CT so I'll keep them in the basement for the winter. In the spring, I'll move them to a shaded area on the deck.

I never thought I'd be so excited about a bunch of worms...lol!
    Last edited by The Muse; 12-20-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a great time with my guys. My bin is about three years old now. I have been harvesting "wild" worms from outside and bringing them in to add to my "herd."
    DH aka Mad Hen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast