Self-sufficiency - how much do you already know and... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my gracious, I can just imagine my DH allowing me near the car! I'm chuckling just thinking about it!! I am mechanically inept. Truly, I am good academically, and that's about it. So what am I doing with these dreams of being self-sufficient??

One of the things I need to do is convince my DH that while I may be all thumbs, and I'm REALLY not just saying oh-poor-me here, I can help him out with more than he thinks. He works his fanny off while I sometimes have time on my hands, often because I'm too afraid to tackle projects. Reading these posts -- especially ones like yours, really are inspiring. I wasn't just saying that, daylily .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fear and lack of knowledge hold us back. If we learn how to do something, that should make the fear go away. I have to practice a thing with someone standing there walking me through it a few times...well many times Then I can feel comfortable doing it.

I changed the spark plug wires on my car once! DH was working away and wouldn't be home for 6 weeks. The most important thing, he told me was to only take one off at a time and then find the new one that was the same length and put that on. Then do another one. it took me a LONG time because several of them were hard to reach and by the time I was done, my hands were all skinned up. That reminds of two things I dislike about mechanics. I don't like being greasy and I don't like getting my hands scratched up! But.....I need to learn to do it anyway.

Daylily

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for reminding me about the Foxfire books. I've been meaning to start buying them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have our own alternative energy system.
    We have a hand dug well with a pitcher pump.
    We heat and cook with wood that is on our land.
    We grow most of own vegetables and keep expanding on that.
    We have an old fashion root cellar and use it.
    We have horses and also have a doctor's buggy if we needed it.
    I can and dehydrate a lot of food. Including meat.
    I cook from scratch.
    We have around 14 kerosene lamps and lanterns and use them and know how to maintain them.
    My husband can repair our vehicle or our house or just about anything.
    I grew up in a hunting and fishing family and am a good shot and a good fisherwoman. I do not like to kill animals but if I HAD to it would be easier for me to hunt than to raise them.
    I forage for wild plants for food and for medicinal use and know how to use them.
    I am part of a group of NY homesteaders who help each other in many ways.
    We have a treadle sewing machine and know how to use it.

Yet, there are many areas I feel we need to work on. Our house is in the middle of a major remodel and we do it little by little as we can.
    One thing I have thoughts about doing is building an underground camp in a cave not far from here, but out in the state land, and putting in provisions just in case. I have always stored water even though we have plenty.

Living simply has made it so that we never have outages of any kind. Our power has never gone out and neither has our water.

katlupe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I grew up in Brooklyn NY the only animals i ever saw were squirrels and pigeons I now live in Nj so no livestock. However

Dh and DS have hands of Gold can fix or build anything cars homes machinery I mean anything in that I am blessed

We garden

I know how to can I can sew if I have too Dont knit or crocet I did when I was young but no longer (sadLY) but happy to know where to get very cheap knitwear ie sweaters hats scarves if need be
    Dh was in the army and can hunt and run a trout line as can DS

I am blessed in that I can make a great make out of just about anything for that I credit my Immigrant Grandmothers who always knew how to make do

But most important i think that we as a family have a mind set that we can and will survive no matter what as long as we have each other and Faith in GOD

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That was make a great meal out of anything and also DH was in the rodeo he is a hick lol so he knows about livestock Thank God self suffincey isnt about typing

mom
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is an old thread, but still interesting.

We live in the city and have 2 chickens for eggs.
    We have a low income so I do alot of cooking from scratch. we try not to use the cold whole house air since it can get expensive, we use window conditioners instead so we are only cooling one room at a time.
    DH is not carpentry or electrical minded so that is an issue and expense.
    I have recently learned how to darn socks. I cut our own hair, we sold one of our vehicles so we are down to only one. I hang the laundry inside on laundry racks to dry.

Need to learn: house repair, car repair, off grid sustainability.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12