My natural disaster, what worked,what didn't - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fixer, were you in Lexington? We are in Madison County and lost power 5am Wednesday morning. It came back on Saturday morning. Had it been just my husband and I, we would have stayed in our mobile home and toughed it out. We have a 3 1/2 year old and an 18 month old (sons) so we had no choice but to leave. Broke my heart to leave our dog and 2 cats here, but we had no choice. We were lucky enough to find a hotel room available in Lexington. I called more than a half dozen places and they were booked. We had our friends across the street stay with us in the hotel room..they had nowhere to go. So, we squeezed four adults and 2 kids into a hotel room and were thankful jus for the warmth for 3 days. I know there are still lots without power around KY, so I am thankful that we got our back so quickly, when they were initially saying it could be 2 weeks for some parts!
    I hope you doggie is feeling better...I know how hard it is when one of the furries is sick!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We've been there and done that -- 1978 , no power for 2 weeks, 2006/2007 we had 3 ice storms back to back - each about a month apart. Longest we were without power then was 10 days.

We have a kerosene heater and a gas cookstove - that we can light burners with a match. . . can't use the oven, though. We also keep a good supply of charcoal and grill outside in the summer kitchen (or garage for most of you) with the door cracked for ventilation.

We have a gas water heater ,so that wasn't an issue

We also have a hand crank radio/TV/fluorescent light combo - although I suppose the TV part won't work after this month. A few cranks of the handle and we had news, and light for about an hour at a time.

They make hand cranks for cell phones too - -- we all carry them in our emergency bags for the cars. We also have an intverter for the car, so we can run small items from it, if needed.

Mirrors under or behind candles and lamps will make the light reflect and seem like more.

We threw our mattresses on the floor of the kitchen and only heated the kitchen /bathroom of the house -- the kitchen was 70- 80 degrees and the master bedroom was minus 10 degrees.

solar is good -- but around here, in the winter, it's not enough to power much. I have a solar oven, but it's useless most of the winter months, due to cloud cover. It would have worked today, though as we had lots of sunshine.

Our biggest issues were the constant worry about our elderly parents, living several miles from us - and us not able to reach them. . . were they staying warm, safe from noxious fumes, not knocking over candles, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When we are expecting storms, I fill the washing machine with water. I figure at least I can rinse my hands if I need to. We have four toilets so we have at least 4 flushes. If it's not frozen, we could dip water out of the swimming pool for additional flushes.
    The news was just on a few minutes ago & they reported the conditions in KY. It was terrible. So sorry you had to go through all that, especially with your dog having problems at the same time. Was his illness at all related to the weather issues? We all need to know how your dog is...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hope your dog is getting better. I usually keep plenty of solar lights and Plastic bags for the trash.Some times storing charcoal brickets are good for emergency supply you can cook on a dutch oven or box oven, just make sure it is well ventilated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by thefrug View Post
    ya know folks, an open fire outside will cook food and heat water. just a thought. remember fire safety and eat some warm food people! This is why I cook with cast iron. It can be used over an open fire and on the wood stove or basically anywhere. and it lasts for decades.
    don't forget an update on that beautiful pup of yours.
    We do have a fire ring but the times we've been without power
    the first) 6 inches of ice followed by pouring rain
    the second) 12 inches of snow followed by ice

didn't make conditions very pleasant for outdoor cookery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We lost power again early this morning. It just came back on. Roman (the dog) is doing great. We just returned from visiting him. I should be able to bring him home tomorrow. I want to thank you guys for your concern. I will try to post again later if the power stays on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh fixer, I am so glad he is doing well. Hopefully your power stays on! Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for the update! I was afraid he had taken a bad turn and you were too upset to post.

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats--they are FAMILY.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just returned home with Roman. He seems tired but other than that fine. I will be making his favorite (mashed potatoes) for dinner in case his appetite needs to be stimulated. Again, thanks for your concern.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad Roman is doing well!

Here's my list ---

gas stove - We chose to put in a gas stove when our oven went belly up a few months back and we are profoundly grateful. Not only could we cook indoors instead of on the grill for the 1st 4 and a 1/2 days it kept us warm as we boiled water. The steam heat kept our living room/kitchen area a comfortable 60 something degrees. The steam was awesome for about 3 days.Then it did become a problem in that everything started getting soggy. We started looking at backup plans when my boys began betting on the drips running down the wall instead of drying them.

small enough chest freezer to move - For the second time in a year we loaded my mothers small chest freezer with all the meat from our houses and moved the whole freezer to somewhere with power. This time it was the shop where my DH works.

coolers - we kept refrigerator stuff on the porch in coolers (no need for ice) . This would not work at any other time of year.

mink (fake) blankets - These are the ones that ran $80 to $120 a couple of years ago. You can get them at much better prices now. My brother sent most of ours over from Korea. We have about 8. Ther eis always two on our bed in the winter. One on top of the sheet that we lay on and one for over us. Even with no heat in the house at night all we needed to do was add one more of these on top of us and we were toasty. Not even cold sheets to climb in. They have held up well when washing.

disposable dishes - we keep these on hand for cases such as these as well.

lighting - We used candles and that was ok although I have ddecided to invest in a larger stock of UNfragranced ones as having multiple smells going at one point was not very good. It was still lacking though and I have decided to invest in a couple of those oil lamps that run for about $5. I think they might be called hurricane lamps. They're usually glass and have a cloth wick. My grandmother use to keep one by her bed and I remeber it putting out good light.

cinder block - We did not have any cinder blocks to throw in the back of DH's lightweight pick-up. We should have. It would have made a much more effective vehicle.

chainsaw and supplies - we have a chainsaw but should have kept a larger supply of baroil on hand. Also we need to keep a few more heavy duty outdoor extension cords on hand. When we eventually got a generator from a friend (I think it was late Fri night) we ran our neighbors sump pumps a few times but we all had to keep moving extension cords. It would have been much easier to have extras on hand. We also need to look into replacement parts for the chainsaw. As we are the young'uns in our neighborhood DH has spent a couple of long days cutting tree limbs away from peoples driveways, garages, doors, and so forth. I am surprised at how well it held up.

piece of advice - for those of you that have a generator - find out of it is large enough to work your furnace. Then have someone that knows how show you how to wire your furnace to it. Heating and air companies as well as electricians made lots of money hooking people's furnaces to thier generators. It is a five minute job. Have someone teach you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did everything you did... and

Heat - we have wood heat and I had a cord of wood delivered the day before the storm hit.

Lighting - we have tons of candles, flashlights, lanterns, etc.

Food - we have propane cook stove and a decent stockpile.

Coffee - made several pots and stored in fridge and freezer before the storm.

Ice - got ice blocks for the freezer and cubes for the fridge before the storm.

What didn't work:

- meant to blow up that big air mattress before the power went out.

We were very fortunate to come through this unscathed... physically or mentally. I feel blessed and am thankful I was able to prepare.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If your house has natural gas a small wall-mounted heater can warm a couple of rooms when the furnace is not working. They are very efficient and safer than kerosene.

Our water is from a small community well and when our electric goes off, we have no water. We try to catch some in containers and the tub if we think we are going to loose power.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great thread!

I'm very glad to hear Roman is doing better.

Thank you all for the information and insights.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad you have power now, and heat! I hope your dog gets well quickly.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have heard of crank flashlights, but not a crank radio. Those are two items I would like to have for emergencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I know some of you will say we were not out of power for very long.
    I was without power for three days this summer; I tried to carry on as usual, but it completely scrambled everything... so it can't imagine going without power that long in the winter!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fixer, I'm glad you got through the outage okay, and your dog
    is now better. Thanks so much for the great insight and info.

Quote Originally Posted by RaineyDaye View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have heard of crank flashlights,
    but not a crank radio. Those are two items I would like to have
    for emergencies.
    I just ordered a Kaito KA009R 4-Way Powered Emergency
    Crank Radio with Shortwave through CampingSurvival

It works via Hand Crank / Solar / AC Adapter / DC
    It has AM/FM/Shortwave/TV/NOAA Weather Band
    and even Aviation channels. It also has a cell phone
    charger and adapters.

I will give a review of it when I receive it. This was
    the first time I ordered from this company, and hope
    I made a good decision. I wanted a radio that at least
    was hand crank and had AM/FM/Shortwave/NOAA, so
    the TV and cell phone additions were plusses. The
    price, at $36.95, seems outstanding for all that you get.
    Most radios I've researched don't include the AC Adapter
    or the cell phone adapter.

My next projects are buying a small generator and
    kerosene heater. I'm thinking of these:

Sportsman 2000 Watt Portable Generator

DuraHeat Convection Kerosene Heater

I saw both of them on Home Depot's sites. Unfortunately
    this site won't allow me to post external links????????

I'm also considering buying a ColemanCompact Propane Lantern
    However, Coleman's site says it should be for outdoor use only??????
    So now I'm not sure to go with an oil lamp or the propane lantern.

Any comments/suggestions on any of the above items would be
    greatly appreciated. I really am glad to find this forum and look
    forward to participating.

SG

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast