My natural disaster, what worked,what didn't - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We lost power for 4 1/2 days, seemed like forever!

-the first 2 days we boiled water on our gas stove for heat, worked well.
    -we used candles for light, and flash lights for bathroom trips only.
    -we had a stock of batteries and a radio that also has a tv band on it so we were able to pick up our local news.
    -we filled both vehicles up with gas the day before the storm. Good thing, since there were no gas stations open in our town for 4 days...the closest one was 20 minutes away and it was a one hour wait to get gas.
    -our freezer is out in the shed, so we moved all frozen food to it and kept our fridge stuff in a cooler on the deck
    -we had a propane lantern in our pump house to prevent the pump from freezing....we filled coolers and jugs with water before the storm since we lose water when we have no electric.
    - on the 3rd morning DH drove 60 miles and bought a generator, there were 150 that came in that morning and his number was 132! Several people in our area drove over 2 hours to St. Louis to buy a generator.
    -DH insists on keeping a stash of cash at home for emergencies, thank God, or we wouldn't have been able to get anything as no banks were open for 4 days.
    -we also used paper plates and plastic utensils.
    -we used the propane fish cooker to melt ice to flush the toilets so we didn't have to use "good" water to do that.
    -and I made sure my ipod was charged before the storm
    -once we got the generator going, DH ran a drop cord to the utility room for me so I could do some laundry, I had laundry hanging everywhere to dry....dd said we looked like the clampets lol

That's all I can think of for now. Glad everyone is getting power back!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you! Glad you whethered it ok.

I still can't get over the fact how this has been almost ignored by the MSM. I mean, they're more worried about the strawberry crop in Fla than millions with power and water and food. I just don't get it. really.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thefrug View Post
    Good for you! Glad you whethered it ok.

I still can't get over the fact how this has been almost ignored by the MSM. I mean, they're more worried about the strawberry crop in Fla than millions with power and water and food. I just don't get it. really.
    Just to let everyone know, FEMA arrived officially yesterday in Kentucky. Also, it was announced today that some of the meals given out by FEMA contain tainted peanut butter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

omg! I heard that! can you believe that!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

They probably listened to that Hank Williams Jr song "Country Boys will survive" and figured you all had it covered. You need to raise a big stink about FEMA'S reaction time. Last I heard at least 30 people had died in the storm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope your dog feels better SOON! I am learning so much from everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-fannie View Post
    They probably listened to that Hank Williams Jr song "Country Boys will survive" and figured you all had it covered. You need to raise a big stink about FEMA'S reaction time. Last I heard at least 30 people had died in the storm.
    The sad part is nothing will ever be said about FEMA's response time. All of our politicians are praising them for all of the help we have received. There were twenty-eight deaths and one-hundred thirty seven thousand still without power. I really don't know when we came to expect FEMA to be on the scene immediately. I guess Katrina gave us that. The head of our state department of homeland security has started saying it's every persons duty to have enough supplies in their home for three days. While I whole-heartily agree, I think it translates into "I know you pay taxes that supports our efforts but we just don't do things very well so you had better take care of yourself. If they want people to stock up, why not make emergency supplies tax free? While the three day number has been around for a long time, I think it is time to change it to a week. There were people who were without power, water and phone who could not get anywhere due to roads blocked with downed trees for a week. It really bothers me the number of people who simply froze to death. I get people will do dumb things with generators and heat sources, but for someone in their home to freeze to death just makes me mad. It does not help they were all elderly. One elderly women suffered massive burns when her clothes caught fire while she was sitting on a space heater to keep warm. I just hope we can learn things from this that will help us with the next one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We got to see if something we had been doing to our freezer would help hold it without power. Like a lot of people' our freezer is not always full. Depending on the garden and what we buy on sale ours fluxuates quite a bit. To keep it full, we fill empty, washed milk jugs with water. We then put ever how many it takes to fill the freezer. It is easy to take some out when needed and having all of that ice keeps it cold when without power and efficient running on power. It also serves as an emergency source of water.-

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

since your ice storm, i've been doing the same thing
    we had a cold spell here so i put the jugs of water outside to
    freeze first then put them in the freezer
    ours fluxuates a lot as well & doesn't have too much in it at
    present ...so it is a good way to have extra drinking water saved too.

glad your dog has recovered

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I started cleaning up today. I realized how important it is to have a chain saw if you plan on doing this yourself. I had to use mine just to get to my parents on the first day. I take it for granted since I have a good saw and have ran it more than I wish to think about. On the farm, we heated exclusively with wood. We would have trees fall over into hay and corn fields that would have to be cleaned up anyway. We got probably fifty percent of our wood this way. I am always afraid that people go out and buy a saw and never learn how to use it until they need it. Cutting down trees is complicated anyway with limbs stuck in the ground and some with enough tension on them to take your head off once cut. There are very few tools I use that I have more respect for than a chain saw. Like everything else, they must be maintained if you want good performance from them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Somebody suggested using glow sticks.
    They used them as a nightlight for the kids.

That they put them in the hallway and bathroom at night, so anybody who had to go to the bathroom once it was dark could find it without a flashlight -especially the kids.

They also put one around the fawcett, so you could easily find the tap and have free hands.
    If in the morning, the glowsticks were still glowing, then they would put them outside to freeze and use them again that night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fixer, Did you get hit again? I thought of you when I saw on the news of the tornado & high wind damage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty Mom View Post
    Fixer, Did you get hit again? I thought of you when I saw on the news of the tornado & high wind damage.
    We did not get the worst of it. I did have a few more limbs to come down. I worked on an old Red bud tree today that was literally wrecked by the ice storm. It looks as if it suffered more damage from the wind. We had some tremendous wind for an extended period of time. Hopefully, all of the limbs broken by the ice are out of the trees now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad to hear you didn't get much more...
    I see you've been featuring a calf (or calves?), how many do you have? Are they Gurnsey, or Jersey?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are getting hit with some tremendous wind out here today. Just for you, Fixer, (or because of this thread and how it made me think ahead) I ran some water into my canner pots, to have it available when/if the power goes out!! Winds are only at about 30mph right now, but expected to get worse. I was walking like a drunken sailor, trying to make it from the house to the pasture, to feed the goats, donkeys, and chickens!! They, OTOH, are being sensible and staying in the protected areas of the tack room and coop!!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast