My natural disaster, what worked,what didn't - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty Mom View Post
    Glad to hear you didn't get much more...
    I see you've been featuring a calf (or calves?), how many do you have? Are they Gurnsey, or Jersey?
    The calf is a crossbred. I think a Brown Swiss, Spanish red. She is not one of mine. I was envious of her abilities with her tongue. I don't have any cattle. I have been lost on what to do about my avatar. I am still not sure if I am happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    We are getting hit with some tremendous wind out here today. Just for you, Fixer, (or because of this thread and how it made me think ahead) I ran some water into my canner pots, to have it available when/if the power goes out!! Winds are only at about 30mph right now, but expected to get worse. I was walking like a drunken sailor, trying to make it from the house to the pasture, to feed the goats, donkeys, and chickens!! They, OTOH, are being sensible and staying in the protected areas of the tack room and coop!!
    I am glad to hear you were thinking ahead. Are you on a well? We never did lose water, as a matter of fact that is the only thing we kept during the whole time. I really don't like wind. It can just do some awful things.

I found a very useful item last week. I decided to replace my smoke detectors and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors. It seems they don't last forever and have a lifespan of around seven years depending on the model. I bought combination smoke and CO detectors. This was a lot simpler and less to worry about. I also found a small, battery powered CO detector. It would be great for someone to use if they had to run a generator or heater during a power outage. Some people don't have CO detectors because they have an all electric home. But, they use CO producing appliances during outages. You could buy one of these and put it up with your emergency supplies. I bought one just to have a spare. Too many people died of CO poisoning during this storm.
    Last edited by fixer; 02-15-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    The calf is a crossbred. I think a Brown Swiss, Spanish red. She is not one of mine. I was envious of her abilities with her tongue.
    Ooh, she IS quite talented!! I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out!

Yes, I'm on a well, and even though I have a 1500 gallon holding tank, when the power goes, so does the pump that moves the water into the house. And when it is blowing so hard, and raining to boot, I don't feel like trudging out to the holding tank with a bucket!

Great idea about the CO detectors. I don't have any in the house, because I am all electric, and when the power goes out, I use my wood stove, although I do some minor things with propane (lanterns, mostly). But probably not a bad idea to have a few around, just to play it safe.

My smoke alarms are all hard-wired into the house, which means when the power goes out, so do they!! Not sure who the genius was who came up with that. Someone who hates replacing batteries, obviously. I have been thinking about getting some battery-operated ones. I have a couple of extinguishers, and an emergency ladder (because I sleep on the third floor) in the bedroom, but neither does me much good if I don't wake up!!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=madhen;1114350]Ooh, she IS quite talented!! I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it ou

My smoke alarms are all hard-wired into the house, which means when the power goes out, so do they!! Not sure who the genius was who came up with that. Someone who hates replacing batteries, obviously. QUOTE]

I don't understand the hardwired smoke detectors either. I don't know how that aids in one's safety. I saw some smoke detectors that had a ten year lithium-ion battery. You never have to change the battery and just throw them out after ten years. I thought this is a good idea. I like the ones I got because they take three AA batteries, not the expensive nine volt. I swear battery companies know you will pay whatever for nine volt batteries since they are mainly used in smoke detectors.

By the way, I liked the heifer's ability to clean her nose. I told Dw I could take care of my runny nose and not have to quit working. Yes, she was grossed out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have always had CO detectors.

We had problems with the battery run kind going wonky but our plug in one is great but I think having a battery operated one when you don't have power is an EXCELLENT idea esp. since we do have a genertor.

I will say something to dh.

PS. 2 times our detector has gone off. Once we had a leak, the other I think there was just a build up and airing the house fixed it.

If you don't have one--get one!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, definitely get one. A community north of us lost an entire family this winter. Their woodstove leaked carbon dioxide into the home and they all died from it.

We had the 10-year smoke detectors as well. So far so good!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our old plug in CO detectors worked okay until we lost power. Then after a couple of days they would start chirping, telling me the battery was dead. I could only get a day or two out of a new nine volt battery. Besides, I always have AA batteries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know I am coming in late to this thread, but I thought I had some useful input.

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast; so we have hurricanes and tropical storms. Hubby and I lived with my mother so I could care for her for 5+ years. BEFORE there was even thoughts of a storm, I had worked a list of things that mom needed if she was evacuated and then a general list of things that I needed.

When I knew we were going to evacuate (I had several days notice), I got out my lists and started packing. I planned to leave on Tuesday morning at 10 a. m. BECAUSE I had my lists and had stocked up on things ahead of time, I didn't have to go to the store or the gas station. I just focused on packing and keeping mom's schedule as normal as possible.

It about killed me but we pulled out of our driveway at 9 a. m. Tuesday morning one hour ahead of schedule and evacuated to a friend's house in Round Rock Texas (this was prearranged).

WHAT I LEARNED - You either need to be the first out (we were) or the last out. There was MAJOR gridlock getting out of town Wednesday and Thursday. People DIED on the side of the highway because they were out of gas and it was HOT! Hubby had to stay for work; so he boarded up the house and drove to and from work every day. FRIDAY (storm wasn't due to make landfall until Saturday) the freeways leaving Houston looked like a ghost town. So that would have been a good time to leave if you couldn't get out early.

Last year - Hurricane Ike visited us. Mom died in April 2007; so I decided to stay this time. I had my updated emergency preparedness list and prepped everything. The only thing on my list that I did not have yet was a generator. We were without power for 12 days. I had all open areas of my freezer packed with ice. As soon as the power went out, I put ice on the top shelf of the fridge (heat rises).

I was able to move all my cold and frozen food to my brother's house because he had a generator, window A/C unit, fridge, and deep freeze. He lived nearby so I could go home daily to do things. It was great to be able to cool off and take a hot shower (gas water heater).

I cooked every night for friends and family that didn't have power or generators. Even though we had the generator it was hard to have lots of light after dark. SO dinner was served BEFORE it got dark.

LESSONS LEARNED FROM HURRICANE IKE:

I have to have a generator before next hurricane season
    If you have a generator you need to stock up on gasoline because it is hard to come by for the first few days because the stations don't have power either. Buy more gas cans and fill them at the first sign of a hurricane. Get the stuff to stabilize it so it will keep. Use in cars, lawnmowers, etc. after the storm.

While at my brother's I had proper generator usage and maintenance 101. I know WHAT size generator I need to power the important things in my house, heavy duty extension cords and the 30 amp power cord to run the window A/C in my office that is attached to the master bedroom. I know the schedule for changing the generator oil. We could pretty much live in the office, master bedroom, and bath and keep it cool.

Wash all dirty clothes before the storm comes. I had not done this. Having your favorite t-shirt to wear during this high stress time is a small comfort.

Wash all dishes, pots, and pans before the storm comes.

As others have stated - paper plates and plastic utensils are a blessing. I don't use them normally, but they are in my emergency supplies.

The best TWO things I had:

A little battery operated book light that sat nicely or clipped on a book. I used it ALL the time, took it to the bathroom, set it on the table next to the recliner I slept in, etc.

A combo clock/flashlight - small battery operated clock with day, date, alarm and a button to push to illuminate the display in the dark and a separate flashlight with it's own battery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

(I realize these posts are a few years old...) But, I was wondering about using propane indoors because of carbon monoxide concerns.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

double post - oops!
    Last edited by dougandmare; 08-09-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: double post - oops!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am glad this was bumped up. I read the entire thread. I have a list of things to get and lots of ideas. Thank you!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So sorry to hear about your dog, my heart goes out to you.
    Came home from camping to be hit with Irene the next morning. We got hit with the rain, high winds and flooding from Irene. I was really worried as I have flooded before. No electric= no sump pump. Had generator ready for that, filled all the bathtubs with water for toilets, candles and oil lights ready, food not an issue, premade coffee for a couple of days lol, and sternos if needed. Couldn't use grill as rain and wind were wasy to strong. Have slept all in one room with sleeping bags before during ice storm.
    We were very lucky..only broken branches and stuff thrown around, that is after we secured it. Had to keep going out to empty pond and pool due to heavy rainfall. One of my friends was not so lucky their house was undermined by flash flood. Basement filled up to 1st level and seems to have hurt foundation. Insurance people are suppose to come today..I am worried as they did not have flood insurance. I don't either...guess it is time to check on that.
    Question...do you most people have flood insurance?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In regard to generators, or any kind of emergency backup device, the rule is 1 is none and 2 is 1! That is why I have 2 generators, a 10 KW that literally powers almost everything in the house, and a 5KW for backup. Generators do have breakdowns and it is impossible to get one repaired, or find a new one when a disaster has happened.
    Of course, if you can only afford one generator, it is definately better than nothing at all!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234