do you keep your stockpile secret? - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, I don't mean to freak people out! In my honest opinion...and alot of people think I am crazy....I believe we should be ready for anything. I don't dwell on it but I think that the way the current political situation is, we should be ready for anything. Danni, if I were you, I would think about re-locating as soon as you can afford it. Places that are close to the ocean are in danger. Oh brother, you probably think I am crazy but my major is not only in history but in environmental science..... things are going to change soon. Volcanos will erupt, earthquakes will happen and seas/oceans will swell.

I have become to love everyone on FV. You are all my close friends and family. I worry about those who are in vunerable places. All I can say is be ready. With supplies and be ready to move if need be.

Still....I didn't mean to freak anyone out! Just my honest opinion!

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

big scholarship. i'll die for it. with this economy its death either way. i probably have a better chance with nature then in making money(ha. like that possible these days) without a college education. but, i totally understand what you're saying and appreciate it! i'm gonna go stock up more tomorrow. lentil soup in cans!
    Last edited by thesightofoneself; 02-05-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is a very interesting question. If you don't show or talk about your stockpile to people are you keeping it a secret? If so, I am. I think I might be concerned that if people were hungry and knew I had food what they might do. It is too easy to say we have evolved into a polite society. An example is when people were without power and got cold some did extremely stupid things. To make sure our family has food, warmth, shelter and security is a base instinct. If their child was hungry, what might a parent do. I will share but I'll be damned if someone will take food needed for my family that I bought or raised.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well said fixer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

These are some great answers. It is definately something to think about. I would put my family first, but the idea of saying no to a hungry person doesn't sit well with me.

Sunshine, would you care to share your soda bottle soup mix recipe? I would love to have some of those on hand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Potato Soup Mix Recipe
    1 3/4 cup instant mashed potatoes
    1 1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
    2 Tbs. instant chicken bouillon
    2 tsp. dried minced onion
    1 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
    1 tsp. dried parsley
    1/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
    1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
    1/8 tsp. turmeric

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mixing until completely blended. Store in airtight container. Makes about 2 1/2 cups mix. To Serve: Place 1/4 cup soup mix in a soup bowl or mug. Add 1 cup boiling water and stir until smooth. Let soup sit 1-2 minutes to thicken slightly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Pasta Soup Jar Mix

Yield 4 servings

1/2 Cup Macaroni
    1/4 Cup Lentils, dry
    1/4 Cup Mushrooms, dried and chopped

2 Tbs. Parmesan Cheese, grated
    1 Tbs. Onion Flakes
    1 Tbs. Chicken Soup Base
    1 tsp. dried Parsley
    1/2 tsp. Oregano
    1 Dash Garlic Powder

Mix parmesan cheese, onion flakes, soup base, parsley, oregano, and garlic powder together in a small bowl. In a one pint jar, layer ingredients in this order, Spice mixture, macaroni, lentils, then mushrooms. Store with tightly sealed lid, until needed.
    Use the following recipe to make soup, or place recipe on a card and attach to your decorated soup mix jar to give as a gift:

Basic Pasta Soup
    Combine contents of jar with 3 cups water, in a 2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 40 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Makes 4 servings.

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I would keep my stockpile (if I had one) a secret except from my family and friends. If someone is hungry enough or their kids are hungry enough I think someone would do anything for food especially if they knew YOU had it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We don't stockpile anymore, just becuase of space constraints. We used too, and I never kept it a secret. We had 2 huge shelves in our garage that housed all of our canned goods and things, and all of our friends and neighbors that came over saw it. Nobody really ever said anything to us. I guess I never really thought about keeping it a secret. I do have to say, it paid off when DH got laid off last year. When we were catching up on bills, that was when we used it all up! It was handy to have then, and we've been thinking of doing it again, now that I have cash on hand to build it back up, we just haven't done it yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I with most of you. My immediate family has seen my stockpile. I will give anything to my immediate family...especially my nieces. My close friends know that I do a lot of couponing and that I stockpile some, but they don't know the extent of it. I don't want to be totally secret to my friends about stockpiling because by me talking to them about it, many of them have started doing it themselves. I have been able to give them a lot of pointers and teach them how to get the best deals. I feel that's my way of helping.

I think that people will get very desperate if they are hungry and will do things that they normally wouldn't do if they truly need something. I will help people to an extent, but when it comes to where it is impacting my family then I will do what I need to in order to protect it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't keep it quiet, but then again I just don't say anything about it.
    I think that if it comes down to "trouble" no matter what the trouble might be people will do things you don't think they will do to feed a family that is going hungry. Like fixer said, I will do what it takes to protect to my family! I will not let anyone take from my kids, and yet if I knew there was some kid going hungry I wouldn't be able to say no and not feed them. I guess its spooky in some ways to let people know what you have, they wouldn't think twice about taking you out to feed their family. I think its smart NOT to tell people about what you have on hand.....unless its close family or friends that you can really trust.
    Example, just before Christmas time I got a great deal of soap on sale.
    My cousin seen it before I got it put away. She was in shock that I had so much soap.......I didn't tell her I got a deal on it as she wouldn't understand, so I just told her it was for Christmas gifts. She didn't say anything else. But the looks she gave me said plenty! I know if someone seen my stockpile it would be the same look and questions, many people just don't get it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't really talk about it too much - ppl know that I am a "uber-savvy shopper" so they just chuckle when they come to my house and see cases of green beans on the floor of my coat closet!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well liken your stockpile in times of 'hunger' to someone now that wins a big lottery....(not that i have any 'first-hand' experience at that unfortunately).... but they say 'desperate' people come out of the woodwork when they find out you 'have' and they 'have-not'....it COULD potentially get ugly if we ever get to the famine point....

and yes how do you decide who eats and who doesn't....that's a hard one....do you punish the one's who didn't even try to save a little...(even if they DO deserve it)....it's kinda like the story of the three little pigs....

i think its best if they just don't know...then they can't ask...and you don't have to make those decisions...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love all of these answers. I think I will be keeping my stockpile to myself (as little as it is). I would love it if my friends would get on the stockpile bandwagon- but I am officially tired of trying to convince bff.

In an emergency it would be dh, 2 ds, me and my mom. Possibly bil.
    We are taking the steps we know how to do right now: stocking food & household goods, over the counter medicines, camping gear, alternative heat source and ammo (for hunting or protection). The only thing I have no earthly idea how to get ahold of is antibiotics or tamiflu.
    Family comes first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    preparing in times of plenty is not hoarding -- hoarding to me is when you buy up everything in times of crisis. Having it stored up for a crisis is being wise.

If I went to Walmart today in IL -- and wanted to purchase oil lamps, there would an entire shelf full. I could buy every single one of the lamps and tomorrow, or later this week, the shelf would again be full. We have no power outage currently, no crisis. . .that is planning and preparing. . . but if I went the day of major ice storm - like is in KY/AK, etc. . and bought all the lamps, with no idea of when they would be restocked -- that is hoarding.

JMHO
    Very well said!
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast