do you keep your stockpile secret? - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    This is a very interesting question. If you don't show or talk about your stockpile to people are you keeping it a secret? If so, I am. I think I might be concerned that if people were hungry and knew I had food what they might do. It is too easy to say we have evolved into a polite society. An example is when people were without power and got cold some did extremely stupid things. To make sure our family has food, warmth, shelter and security is a base instinct. If their child was hungry, what might a parent do. I will share but I'll be damned if someone will take food needed for my family that I bought or raised.
    My thoughts exactly!!
    I don't go around asking my family & friends what they have in their kitchen cabinets & I personally don't think it's anybody's business what I have or how much.
    I figure there's no sense in advertising it.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will casually mention to people about the Mormons. How they stock up food for a year. And that the reasons are short term disability, layoffs, being ready for a storm, not having to spend money in a big bill month. I don't bother mentioning bank holidays, depression etc.
    So I bring up the topic as a something interesting I heard just to get people thinking. I don't mention what I do.

Yeah, I wonder what will happen. For now we give to the food pantry weekly and that is good for our conscience and it is anonymous. But the situation changes when many neighbors come knocking all the time. Those that never planned for a rainy day and are in hock big time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The only ones that know what we have stockpiled here are some of you here, a very close friend, and then my parents. My close friend and I are on the same path toward taking care of our families by having that stockpile. She is also helping me with my homesteading projects. Taking care of my family if my first priority. Besides, I know that my sil and some that I work with would laugh and call me crazy (which I can be..but that is for me to say, not them) and quite frankly I don't need the drama that would come from it. So I don't discuss it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My family know , but my sister already has a lot on hand , They have Aldis over there and I guess they have great deals. My Mom also has alot. My brothers one is on a base and he will move back to Ohio when he gets out of the Army soon, so I know he will be close to family.And my brother works in Maryland for the Federal government but would not stockpile food as stuff around bothers him.My kids friends all know how much food I have, but most of them are like family and I plan to have more than enough to share. I don't advertise it. But frankly I tell them it is my earthquake disaster food. People at work I explain it that way and also let them know if you have some you can save money by waiting for the next sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, it's not a secret... but, I don't really talk about it in any detail.
    I have just a very select few that I would share with in an emergency, as they would with me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't keep it a secret, but I don't advertise about my stockpile. It comes in handy when I don't feel like going to the grocery store during payday week (everyone gets paid the same time so the commissary is always busy around payday!).

Every once in a while when I see someon is struggling a bit online, I send a care package to them with some staples out of my stockpile like dried beans, lentils, HBA, some canned stuff, etc to help them out.

My stockpile isn't as big as I'd like since we're overseas and and German houses don't have a lot of storage. But when we return stateside, I plan on stockpiling enough for us for a year plus 10 people which I won't advertise to people IRL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by jennybethg View Post

My stockpile isn't as big as I'd like since we're overseas and and German houses don't have a lot of storage. But when we return stateside, I plan on stockpiling enough for us for a year plus 10 people which I won't advertise to people IRL.

ETA: the stockpile I want for the extra 10 people would be a 6 week supply, not 1 year! LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have alway's been open about my stockpiling because everyone knows my CouponQueen skill's and I have no problem spreading the word on good deals in hopes other's will follow suit...In my basement I have a couple of shelves that are full to the brim (we haven't moved into our home yet due to renovation) we hired a friend to help us and my dh made the mistake of taking him down to the basement so he (whom btw has been out of work for week's) did see the extent of how much we have..anyone can look into our basement window's and see what we have in there which makes me a little nervous since obviously no one is living there yet..All of my family knows how obsessed I am..My dh happened to mention to me yesterday that I need to stay quiet from now on about my stocking up and that he is going to buy a pistol and show me how to use it..I'm scared of gun's but when it comes to my kids and my family I would do anything to protect them..We also own a M-4 that I fought long and hard with dh not to buy..being a Marine and knowing how to survive in the worst conditions I gave into him after reading all the stories about the what if's like another terrist attack,crime and hunger.. One good thing is my family and extended family all owned several farms so they have first hand knowledge of farming as well as good hunting skill's..we will never be without fresh meat..In the event all hell breaks loose I do want to be the one prepare!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My stockpile is on a need to know bases. I need to know and you don't.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angelbumpkin View Post
    My stockpile is on a need to know bases. I need to know and you don't.
    This is how I feel also

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most of my family and friends know about my coupon-ing and stockpiling. My family knows I have shelves in the basement, filled with toiletries. I often share with them. I always put together gift baskets for the girls/ladies in our families from the stockpile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was rearranging my stock pile when a neighbor came to the door She comes over knocks and walks right in. I had it stacked all over the living room I felt like I got caught with a load of illegal guns. She just kept going on and on about how much food I had.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't keep it secret at all. We put online in our annual holiday newsletter how much we have canned some years, like 280+ jars in 2007. And some friends go in the basement and see the boxes of canned beans, the bottles of water (hubby doesn't like well water and fills up MANY 2-liter bottles at his brother's house with 'city water''). We did have one friend look around and say that in case of a disaster she is moving her family into my basement. Also we have huge woodpiles that are very visible from the street. But around here I wouldn't worry about my neighbors.. I am not paranoid about the government, I used to be when Reagan was president and he would joke about bombing Russia and so on. I don't expect to have any trouble or find any need to be secretive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've mentioned some great deals that I've gotten in the past to the people I work with. They made all the "joking" comments about the bunker I must be building and such. They don't get it-whatever, no big deal but I don't even mention it anymore.

As far as my neighbors, I doubt many are as prepared as we are, but who knows, as others have said, it's not my business. However, my next door neighbors have a stockpile to put mine to shame, plus they are of the homesteading/survivalist mindset. In times of trouble, I believe they would help us out and we'd do the same for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a blabbermouth cause I'm a proselytizer. I have tons of cans that I selected for vitamin and nutrition content. I like to tell my twin sister and bff what I've gotten and how they can do it too. Anyone who needs to be fed and can be fed by me will be. My doorman, my elderly neighbor, my students, yada yada. I would rather they be prepared though since I only have so many cans!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast