do you keep your stockpile secret? - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mine isn't a 'secret', we just don't tell anyone what we have (or I plan on having)... and it's more than just food.

My ex and his family thought I was Chicken Little when I told them I was thinking about stocking up a bit and stopping by the bank to change a few $100's in to smaller bills. (One year later... ah huh)

We have food... we have enough put aside for a while... how long it lasts depends on how much self discipline we have.

I did tell my ex that if things get 'very bad' I will be using his hidden pantry to store things... but if things got to that point, I already sold my condo for whatever I could get for it and my DD, the Old Man and I have moved in with my Ex (ya, we're close like that, deal with it )

I am taking this time to not only stockpile but to experiment with foods. Personally, I don't eat beef, pork, etc... but if my family was starving, ya, I see me sucking on a squirrel bone, tyvm So, short of shaking trees for food, I have been sliding in secret taste tests in to meals I serve my family.

I have a little notebook I call "Things that will keep their belly full" (and taste a heck of a lot better than they sound and serves nutritional value)

I also have yarn and material... LOTS of each. At first I had planned on saving it in the event I had to make blankets, then rethought it... I am saving more of our outgrown/out of style clothes too. The clothes can make BIGGER clothes, the materials can go to refurbishing them and I can use the yarn to make thick socks and save the scraps to make patches.

I make my own laundry detergent, I have enough supplies to last the 3 of us several years, so plenty to barter with if need be.

I have a small, but big enough for us, set of camping supplies for cooking and eating.

We each have fishing poles, several hooks, lures of all types and I even have a few spools of different lines as well as a box of safety pins. (If the pole breaks, gets lost or stolen, I know how to rig a line and secure it to the eye of the safety pin and then pin it to whatever we are wearing)

I think the most important thing I am stockpiling can NEVER be stolen from me... KNOWLEDGE!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could you share a few of those recipes with us?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, I don't keep my stockpile a secret...why would I? I don't take out an ad in the local newspaper telling everyone I have a stockpile either. Those who are our friends & family know we have a supply of food on hand...they also know if they need something we are more than willing to share.
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny :
    Change :

2020 Coupon Savings and Perks Challenge:
    $172.82

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My stockpile is still little. I guess I have enough food to last a month. I am shooting for 3 months for now. There is so much I am learning about stockpiling. I want to do it to save money in the long run, but also I want to have the neccessities in case of an emergency situation. It came in handy when we were snowed in a few weeks back.

We too, have camping supplies and fishing and hunting gear and have had them for a long time. Not for an emergency , but because we use them. But it does feel good to be prepared.

Once, many yrs ago we were snowed in for a week w/no power. We had a baby then. I felt so blessed to have a fireplace and kerosene heaters for warmth. I could cook on the campstove or the kerosene heater. Since then I have always wanted to stay ahead on my groceries and supplies, but now I feel like I am taking it a step forward. I want to be ready if my dh looses his job or anything else that might come up.
    No one has actually seen my little stockpile, it just looks like pantry overload right now. I am not advertising it. And yes I would help a person in need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by angelbumpkin View Post
    My stockpile is on a need to know bases. I need to know and you don't.
    What she said. Now do you know that if you leave the UPC's on the products the government can and will know how much food you have? So when the day comes that they need to totally control everyone they can do it easily with food. They can and will confiscate your food. Just like the little magnetic strips in our money, the UPC symbols can be scanned from a long distance, space. Now go cut those suckers off of your food!!! Paranoid?, nope read the Bible and think about it.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sassyclass,
    That is really scarey. The government could scan my groceries from space????? Do you have more info? Where does it cover this in the Bible? (I would think Revelations.....)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sassyclass,
    That is really scarey. Where did you see that info? The government can really scan my groceries from space???? Where is that in the Bible???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I first posted this thread I had just started stockpiling and I just wanted to see how others viewed their stockpiles. I did not mean for this thread to take a paranoid turn. I hope I have not offended anyone, because I am new here and love this forum. I was getting alot of "crazy" looks from family and friends and just wanted to see if others were experiencing the same.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

New leaf, stockers will alway be looked at a little funny. Oh well!

The one with the most food not only wins but gets to eat if times get tough.
    So just and go on about your business!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
    Sassyclass,
    That is really scarey. The government could scan my groceries from space????? Do you have more info? Where does it cover this in the Bible? (I would think Revelations.....)
    90% of the time cashiers can't even scan my groceries from 2 inches away. No one is scanning anything from space.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

New Leaf please don't be paranoid about being paranoid. LOL
    Great post and a legitimate question. My answer to your question now is, I am tending to keep it more secret especially from my adult children. They see that I have lots of food stored and I become the Grocery Store of Mom (much like the Bank of Mom). I don't mind sharing but that is not the purpose of my stockpile (keeping them in food so they can spend frivolously (sp). Obviously if I thought they were in dire straights I would give them anything that I have, but I don't want to make them dependent on me. If something were to happen to me, my kids will be pulling food from all kinds of strange places in the house, shaking their heads and saying "Yep, we knew she had lost it"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    90% of the time cashiers can't even scan my groceries from 2 inches away. No one is scanning anything from space.

Newleaf: please don't worry about it. I didn't find anything wrong with your question, and I'm sure most people didn't as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the positive reinforcement everyone. I usually don't "put myself out there" and I was afraid that maybe I had offended. Especially after the letter the other day....

I am not going to be paranoid. It's not like I have a grocery store stockpiled in my home. But I will tell you, I am actually saving money now on regular groceries. Its really an amazing money saving tool.

I have moved on to some h&B products now thanks to the Dollar Tree.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sassyclass View Post
    What she said. Now do you know that if you leave the UPC's on the products the government can and will know how much food you have? So when the day comes that they need to totally control everyone they can do it easily with food. They can and will confiscate your food. Just like the little magnetic strips in our money, the UPC symbols can be scanned from a long distance, space. Now go cut those suckers off of your food!!! Paranoid?, nope read the Bible and think about it.

Cat

What in the heck are you talking about cutting the upc's symbol's of f the food packages? and the goverment will know how much food you have? Do you have proof of this? I would like to read it for myself..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought I had replied to this thread.....guess not.

I have a small stash I guess you could call it. Probably could go at least a month without going to a grocery store.
    I don't really talk much about it. My kids know I keep some extra food around. It really helps a lot just to go to that cupboard, and take out what we need in the kitchen when we run out of something. I just know the next time, I go to the store, I have to replace what we used from our backup pile. I hope to add more to it yes.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast