do you keep your stockpile secret?
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default do you keep your stockpile secret?

I have just started stockpiling. I talk to my bff and mom about it but so far I have not shared with anyone else. If it became neccessary to use the stockpile in a survival situation (pandemic, terrorist attack or depression) would you let people know what you had?

I would not be able to say no to anyone who needed food. But at the same time I wouldn't want my family to suffer.

What would you do? Keep it a secret and use it only for your family or share?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Secret..............yes.

That being said, I would help family and friends when and how I could.

But they do not need to know what I have available.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i wouldn't be able to keep it a secret probably...the reason i say that is about 15 yrs ago i kept horses and i always bought the 1st hay cutting and filled my barn to the brim..(okay-i was a hay hoarder)
    well one year we had a terrible drought and we only got 1 good cutting and a very dismal 2nd..which wasn't worth anything.... now this shortage brought the price of a bale of hay to about 10bucks each..with feeding a couple of horses a day...alot of people couldn't afford it and when the fields were over-grazed and you should be supplementing with hay- noone could afford to do it....the poor horses were suffering and getting awful thin...and me...being me...felt terribly sorry for all the neighbors horses...so i opened up the 'hay-kitchen' and started feeding everybody..... luckily being the 'hoarder' that i was i had enough to feed 200 horses (when in actuality i only needed to feed 3)....so i 'guess' i might feel sorry for people too if they needed it...(but only the one's i like)...haha

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I talk about it with a few close friends when I find good deals (Hey, I just got 6 lbs of turkey for 89 cents a pound!), but I don't think any of them have seen what I actually have in the garage.

I'd be willing to help friends and neighbors on a limited case-by-case basis, but I'm not going door to door advertising what I've got.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, it's not a secret... but, I don't really talk about it in any detail.
    In my area, lots of folks have large pantries stocked. Sometimes we share how much canning we got done or good deals we find. In times of need, we are there for one another.

In the recent ice storm, I did go to my neighbors, knocked on their door and asked if they wanted a shower and a hot meal.

So, yeah... I'd share. Together we are strong.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd share -- up to a point. . . in our area, pretty much everyone cans, stockpiles, etc. So, we'd likely be helping each other.

I do keep some soup mixes (enough for one meal - in 20 oz. soda bottles) to hand out to individuals.

But, no one really knows the extent of our supplies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Only you all know that I am stockpiling my friends know I am frugal shopper and that I keep a pantry but know one really knows to what extent except of course you here.

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

you never know if you'll live or die. so money keeps on talking. that can of soup now cost $20 and if the neighbors want in there will be biding. i'm money hungry. i'll die hated, but rich. granted, they probably would have killed me for my food.
    Last edited by thesightofoneself; 02-05-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

never thought about it that way before....but we have no friends or family that would come and raid our stuff.

but then I really only discuss my stockpile as my pantry. most people don't "get" the term stockpile....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have a stockpile. The people that know about it are our closest friends and family. I will NOT devulge what I have in storage to anyone else. I know that sounds cruel and heartless, I don't intend it to be. IF something happened in the world, I would share with neighbors, friends and family BUT we also have the mentality that if things get really bad, we have to protect what we have to save those we love. Things are bad right now in world politics. If the worst comes to worst and the government enacts martial law...we are ready and we will help those who mean the world to us. Our neighbors have been on board with us for 2 years. We are covered from all sides and we cover them. We are a survivalist community within ourselves. I have always said.... be ready, be prepared.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i just started my stockpile today and now debbie's comment has me all paranoid now. must hoard. must hoard...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Only family has seen mine and I plan to keep it that way.

Now, you guys know but I trust ya!

My dh worries people will see it from the street but I have stood and looked and craned my neck so unless it is night and the blinds are open the only thing you have even halfway see is my HB&As and some of my dds new stuff for her future apartment.

Frankly will all of it mixed up it doesn't look like anything to catch anyones attention.

I am working on a years worth of food at about $225 a month x 12= alot of time and money and security for my family and extened family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only person who knows about it is my bf. Hubby and I don't tell anyone else. If I could I'd help out family and friends, but there are already 6 of us, so I don't know how we could really do that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thesightofoneself View Post
    i just started my stockpile today and now debbie's comment has me all paranoid now. must hoard. must hoard...
    preparing in times of plenty is not hoarding -- hoarding to me is when you buy up everything in times of crisis. Having it stored up for a crisis is being wise.

If I went to Walmart today in IL -- and wanted to purchase oil lamps, there would an entire shelf full. I could buy every single one of the lamps and tomorrow, or later this week, the shelf would again be full. We have no power outage currently, no crisis. . .that is planning and preparing. . . but if I went the day of major ice storm - like is in KY/AK, etc. . and bought all the lamps, with no idea of when they would be restocked -- that is hoarding.

JMHO

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    preparing in times of plenty is not hoarding -- hoarding to me is when you buy up everything in times of crisis. Having it stored up for a crisis is being wise.

If I went to Walmart today in IL -- and wanted to purchase oil lamps, there would an entire shelf full. I could buy every single one of the lamps and tomorrow, or later this week, the shelf would again be full. We have no power outage currently, no crisis. . .that is planning and preparing. . . but if I went the day of major ice storm - like is in KY/AK, etc. . and bought all the lamps, with no idea of when they would be restocked -- that is hoarding.

JMHO
    me likes

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast