B.O.B.'s do you have one?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default B.O.B.'s do you have one?

Do any of you have a Bug Out Bag? and what is in it? I do not have any yet, but it is my goal to have one for ea. of the family. I am thinking about what items to include in the adults and the kids.

I am thinking I would have the basics:
    Clothes
    Food
    Water
    Medicines

I will start w/a 72 hr. kit.

Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do, sort of.

We live where forest fires are sometimes a threat. If we had to evacuate and had the time to hitch up, we'd take both RVs. If not, we'd take the motorhome and the van and leave the pop up. Aside from that, we'd crate the cats and take them, also take the dogs of course. Grab meds, checkbook, credit cards, and . Either of the RVs would partially provide what we needed, such as shower items, towels, fridge space, beds, a place to prep food, bathroom facilities, some food, etc. Anything else, we could buy.

We have a small purse/organizer thing that's supposed to contain all our important info, but we haven't gotten around to doing anything with it yet. I guess that should get moved up the priority list.

We also have duffels for the two of us and for our dogs, which are always convenient and partially packed, so most likely would be able to throw some clothes into those in seconds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not what I thought you meant by BOB, so had to check this thread out...ok so now I know.... phew, thought this forum had gone very personal! LOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a bug out camper, completely stocked. Does that count?

All we'd have to grab is the cat, the weapons & ammo and one small packet of personal papers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    All we'd have to grab is the cat, the weapons & ammo and one small packet of personal papers.
    That may just be one of the best quotes I've heard in a long time! Grab the guns and ammo....and don't forget fluffy! No, I'm just kidding! I grew up on a farm, so I do understand the importance of the guns and ammo in a disaster!

I've never heard of it as a BOB before! We have one that I keep during tornado season only. I keep 2 days worth of food and water, a blanket, small first aid kit, 2 way radio (our neighbors have the other), extra shoes for everyone, and some sort of jacket or sweatshirt for everyone.

Basically, I keep the essentials, so that if our house was completely blown down by a tornado, we'd be able to survive a few days in case we had to wait for a rescue.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I guess I'd have to qualify mine to a BOT. I have a bug-out-truck. The back (covered) has a couple of large containers of water, a sleeping bag, a first aid kit, (a road kit for the truck), and a change of clothes. It is not nearly complete, and if I were seriously setting it up as a BOT, there would be a copy of all my important papers in there (although I don't have many, and most can be re-ordered through the county, state, etc).

I have an overnight bag in my work car, with toiletries and change of underwear, as well as a change of clothes, but only because we sometimes have to get up and go on short notice and don't get to come home to pack.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We keep two BOB backpacks under our bed and have plastic totes (with wheels on them) in the basement if we would have time to grab those. These are the things included in the backpacks and the car BOB kits.

We've scanned our important papers and identification and have them on a Zip-Drive in each of the backpacks.

-money and debit card
    -basic food (MRE's) and water
    -shelter (emergency tent)
    -lights (several types - including an AM/FM/NOAA emergency radio with an LED flashlight - powered by winding/batteries/DC power and will also recharge a cell phone - head lamp - lightsticks - LED light on a lanyard)
    -flat-fold stove and heat cells
    -foil (heavy-duty pop-up sheets)
    -personal hygine products
    -all-purpose soap
    -first aid
    -warmth - Hotties, mylar blankets, plastic zip-lock bag of cotton balls permeated with petroleum jelly (these can be used as fire starters or burned for warmth)
    -waterproof matches/BIC lighter
    -whistle
    -fishing line and hooks
    -shovel
    -string saw
    -knife
    -multi-use tool
    -sport bottle for holding water
    -plastic poncho
    -camping kit for cooking and eating
    -clothing (make sure you include cargo pants - the pockets are already filled with important survival items that you would need on you if you should loose your backpack, and a nylon jacket, plastic poncho, mylar blanket in the pockets, a boony hat, pair of leather-palmed gloves)
    -disposable breathing masks (for removing fine particles from the air or breathing in extremely cold weather)
    -small amount of duct tape, electricians tape, wire, small tube of Super Glue
    -water filter and water treatment tablets
    -braided cord
    -sleeping bag
    -plastic bags (several sizes) and a nylon water bag
    -sheet of plastic to make a solar still
    -bottle of Grapefruit Seed Extract
    -microfiber towel and EZ-towels
    -goggles
    -bug repellant towelettes
    -if you take medication (we don't), include it AND a Rx.

There may be other things, but that's all I can remember.

We also have kits for our cars.
    Last edited by Grainlady; 02-26-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think a back pack for each family member and a wheeled duffel would work very well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My house is our own private BOB. One bedroom contains nothing but shelves of food/water/all medicines and the filing cabinet along with a tote of other essentials to use during a hurricane....candles, plug in type of phone, etc. Weapons are kept separate from that room so we would have to grab those to have on hand. We have a generator and always keep plenty of gas. Have I mentioned our house is solid concrete with 6 inch concrete interior walls lol? We are actually safer staying here most times since we aren't right on the coastline. Should we ever have to leave for whatever reasons we do have a travel trailer that stays stocked as well. just grab yourselves, the pets, necessary things and get the heck out of dodge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow Grainlady you have really thought about this and planned very well. Milly I like your thread about the ammo and don't forget fluffy that would be us here too! I got a chuckle out of that I like the idea of backpacks under the bed all we've have to do is grab them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As long as we're discussing 'Bugging Out', where do you all plan to bug out TO?

In the event of natural disasters it would, of course, be somewhere outside of the disaster area. But what if it's an economic melt-down or a terrorist attack?

It might be wise to pick a safe (i.e., far, far from a major city) area to take off to before disaster strikes. This should be part of our planning, too, as well as what we're taking with us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Grainlady,
    that is an awesome list. I will be printing that out.
    Milly,
    we live close to National Forrest and we have a pop up camper, so I guess we would go as far out into the boondocks as we could get.

My dh already thinks I have lost it, so I haven't brought up the subject of BOB yet. My dearest cousin said to put the backpacks together anyway and dh will be glad to have them if we need them.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not what I thought you meant by BOB, so had to check this thread out...ok so now I know.... phew, thought this forum had gone very personal! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

O.K. , I cannot for the life of me figure out what else B.O.B. would stand for. Maybe I'm leading a sheltered life.

Registered User wanderinggrandma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Battery Operated Boyfriend

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast