Homemade Dogfood recipe(s)
    Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Homemade Dogfood recipe(s)

Anyone have a homemade dogfood recipe using leftover food such as veggies and rice,etc?
    I thought I came across one like that on some forum, and for the life of me I can not remember which one. I want to copy it down and put it in my notebook of recipes for when TSHTF. I have 2 monsters I'd like to keep fed somewhat LOL

Thanx!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd like to see this too! We have two dogs also and I can't watch them starve!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/

i found this site for homemade recipes....some look easy. Enjoy

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Thanks so much....

this is exactly what i was looking for.....daughter loves her pug and has decided she wants to feed him natural food instead of store bought dog food..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are a number of really good high grade dogs foods out there that you can buy ready to go.

Taste of the Wild
    Innova
    California Natural
    Merrick
    Blue Buffalo
    And many more. All of them are human grade "natural" and properly balanced. You may have a little more trouble finding a supplier but the manufacturer websites have tools to help you with this.

If she wants to make food for her dog herself tell her to look into the BARF (bones and raw foods) diet. It is really important to be sure that what you are feeding is balanced or she will have problems in the future.

Natural would be for her to feed him whole, raw, carcasses of freshly killed animals like rabbits and birds etc. Not what most people would really want to try.

I would also recommend she visit http://community.dog.com/forums/

There are quite a few people there who follow a holistic approach to dog ownership. They have been a great resource for me in the past.

caribooliving
    Tourist

Default I love to talk about anything to do with animals

I run a small animal sanctuary so I'm always looking for ways to save on costs but not jeopardizing my animals' health, especially as some come with many issues both in state of mind but also healthwise and skin/coat wise.

A friend of mine wrote this inexpensive book after she was constantly asked what she feeds her dogs. She has been in animal rescue for many, many years and I know first hand that she has had dogs with mange and she has cured this without any antibiotics just all good nutrition. Please google it 30 days without kibble and you'll see that there is a printed version or an inexpensive online version, which will still give you the basic knowledge that is needed.

Because I have eight dogs at this time, cooking for all of them just isn't practical. BUT, what I do do is I still use some kibble but a high quality kibble, Timberwolf. Then I get from my local butcher these blocks of mostly organ meats but also remnants that they grind all up and make into a 5lb block sold as pet foods. These sell here in Canada for around $4. I cook this up in the roasting pan along with ingredients from that book and make this big stew. This is then put on top of their kibble for supper. This then cuts down the kibble in half. I can make one of those blocks last about a week and a half sometimes longer, depending on what you're adding to it. As you use it you keep adding the veggies and it keeps growing. It is extremely cost effective and their coats are unbelievable. They also can't wait for their supper. While I realize the book says to use raw I just personally prefer to cook it, my own personal preference.

But if you only have one or two and can follow that book you will see the difference in your pet's health, which will save you on vet bills for sure. While some items might be expensive in your area you can make some close substitutions that make sense to help keep costs down. Yes, it is my friend who wrote the book but I wouldn't be able to promote it if I didn't believe it or use it. For the initial 10 bucks for the download it is well worth it.

Hope that helps.

Jackie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VanVivCam View Post
    http://www.i-love-dogs.com/

Thank you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by VanVivCam View Post
    Dog, Dogs, Dog Breeds, Dog Training =Canine Wonderland= I-Love-Dogs

Wow, I just stumbled onto this thread. Thank you for posting the link! I'm gonna try some of these recipes!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that recipe sounds very easy to make ill have to try it and see if my star will like it ---ty