Home Security - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Security

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The usual stuff -- guns, big dogs, locks. . . . but if TSHTF, I also have planned ahead and have lots of thorny briars around key areas, making it difficult to get to my house. . .

I also have the know-how, means and plans to build guerrilla warfare type protections (pits with spikes, snares, etc.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie's Nesters View Post
    We have an alarm system, I only use it at night. We also have 2 dogs that love to bark. I carry my cell phone on me at all times, we do not have local police. If we're lucky, the state police will show up in a 1/2 hour! We also have alot of guns. I got my own for Christmas 2 years ago. I took several classes on gun safety. I wish we had a driveway alarm, but the neighbor would mow over it!
    The driveway alarm we have has an infra-red sensor that mounts to a tree and it's off the ground (no air hose to drive over) so nobody can mow or trip over it. Ours is the second model shown, the one a birdhouse can cover.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijL94x5kbAM"]YouTube - Driveway Alarm[/ame]

Love seeing that everyone has taken or will be taking precautions to keep all they hold dear, safe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2-3 View Post
    Scared away the home security guy last week
    LOL

Living on an island is good for security. Crime is pretty low here because a "fast" getaway involves sitting in a lineup for 20 minutes, followed by parking on the deck of the boat for 15 minutes.

People have been known to phone the ferry captain to ask if there is, say, a blue Ford pickup on board. If there is, it won't be unloading at the other side until the cops are waiting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have the OBSS - Old Bitty Security System. We live in a neighbourhood of seniors and they ALL and I do mean ALL know what is going on on our street and they DO network!!

We generally keep doors locked at all times and if the garage is open, we're outside in it. One thing I learned to do is ignore the door regardless who's ringing the bell/knocking at it - unless we are expecting someone. Especially this year - there are a TON of door to door solicitors They don't need to see that I may or may not be home alone, with or w/o a big dog NOR what I have inside to offer if you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    We have the OBSS - Old Bitty Security System. We live in a neighbourhood of seniors and they ALL and I do mean ALL know what is going on on our street and they DO network!!
    Love your security!! Very frugal of you! lol

I'm with you, I don't open the door unless I know who is coming over. The dog is trained to bark at any doorbell or knock. It gets annoying during a movie (and will scare the crap out of me!), but its what the dog is trained to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2-3 View Post
    I'm with you, I don't open the door unless I know who is coming over. The dog is trained to bark at any doorbell or knock. It gets annoying during a movie (and will scare the crap out of me!), but its what the dog is trained to do.
    I think this is the reason why we're not allowed to have a dog - the dog will end up scaring my dad more then the intruder LOL For now its ok...we hide out at home and love it. Doorbell rings - who cares, phone rings - who cares! LOL Usually its a telemarketer and just in case...I check the Call Display to call whomever back if deemed worthy.

Registered User Monroe on a Budget's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keith - one of the advantages of living on an island! LOL. I can totally see that happening. I have never lived on an island but I had occasional business calls at an island town at my former job.

On topic ... one of the things I just am amazed about is how many people leave their cars unlocked while parked outside and stuff just um, walks. Hello? Lock the doors, or don't leave anything in the vehicle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our home security system is the "Ruger and Rottweiler" system...
    The 45 cal Ruger AND Rottweiler are mine...and I'm not afraid to use it..
    I fully recommend the system, and it works extremely well. So well in fact, we've not had a problem...NO ONE wants to break into OUR house...even when there was a house across the street that was burglarized a couple of years ago, and we've had some serious undesirables move into the neighborhood a while back..thank goodness their gone now though. We don't even get many trick-a-treaters during Halloween. I have signs posted that's visable on all sides of our back yard fence and posted on our front door to "Beware of the Dogs".((Trust me, those signs aren't just for show)). Even our Community Police Officer-(CPO) doesn't like to come to our house, he usually invites me to coffee or to his office to discuss anything relating to the safety of the neighborhood or specific problem items.

Meh, it works for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have houses in our neighborhood that are fairly close to each other. All of our neighbors know each other and look out for each other. We cover all our windows and lock windows and doors. Have sensor lights. Getting a gun and lessons. Our dog has scared many people away from our house. My cousin lives down the shore and never locks her doors and doesn't even have keys to the doors. When I lived in Burlington County a neighbor's boyfriend broke into our neighbor across the streets house. In the same town my brother in law had change in his cup holder and his door unlocked, someone opened the door and took the change. The police station is visible from his house. Also a thing to look out for, trash men. There was a trash company that picked up trash in our old neighborhood and the trash men were coming back after work to rob people. Thankfully they were caught quickly. In the same area there is a new light rail train that travels through several towns and is very cheap. Was $1.10 one way. Easy transportation for thieves to go from home to the town they want to steal in and back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We live in I think what you would call a kind of town house but with a side garden (on one side) and back garden (closed in). Our (wonderful) neighbors are attached on the other side of the house.
    We live in the outskirts of a large city.
    Guns for private citizens and pepper spray are illegal here and dh is allergic to all animals.

Many years ago our second son was coming home (very) late from a New Year's party and 'surprised' two burglars trying to take stuff away via our garden entrance.
    After that we bought a HUGE upgrade on our alarm system and security around the house.
    We put in a fence to stop anyone just walking into the back garden. The fence is high and has steel 'sharks teeth' on the top and sides.

We have motion detectors in the house downstairs when we go to bed and when we leave the house and it is empty, the entire house is covered inside by more motion detectors.
    The windows also have hidden current breakers on them which are connected to the alarm system. So that when the alarm is activated and someone tried to open a window, the alarm is triggered. We can choose which windows to connect or disconnect.

Should the alarm go off, the neighbors will have a look and see if anything is wrong (they have the codes and I trust them implicitly). If they don't trust something they will call the police.
    If these (elderly) neigbors are not at home there is always someone else in our small cul de sac who will have a look and call the police if necessary That is just how our small street works. (We all have alarms in one form or another.)

So in answer to the OP, Yes, I feel safe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"Do You Believe In Life After Death?
    Trespass here and find out..."

I want that phrase printed on a posted sign for the front and back gate of my house...lol I'm thinking it would make a criminal stop and
    decide if it's worth the risk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't feel especially safe where I live. Its a pretty good neighborhood, but a few years back we had a rash of car break ins...mine got hit THREE times within 12 months. Fortunately, there were no home break ins.

Since I'm home during the day with a baby, I've been trying to at least be more aware of the weak spots in our security, and plan on improvements. I have three big dogs, and all the windows on the front and sides of the house have thorny bushes planted under them, lol. We have a privacy fence around our backyard, and recently replaced our sliding glass patio door with more secure french doors.

Best of all, we have pretty good neighbors who look out for one another.

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my neighborhood looks nice but we've had two expensive things stolen from outside our house, so now, one word: cemented. i hope they hurt themselves trying to take it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by thesightofoneself View Post
    my neighborhood looks nice but we've had two expensive things stolen from outside our house, so now, one word: cemented. i hope they hurt themselves trying to take it
    I like the way you think. People who steal stink. A gigantic hernia coupled with debilitating back spasms for them works for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by thesightofoneself View Post
    My MIL had the same thought process, so a few years ago, she did cement her patio furniture to the front porch...to date, no one's taken it...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast