Hurricane Season Starts Today
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hurricane Season Starts Today

For those of you that are in hurricane prone areas NOW is the time to check your supplies and start stocking up. It is recommended that you have AT LEAST a three day supply of food and water. From my own experience, I would start with a three day supply and build up to a two week supply IF at all possible.

For those of us with stockpiles there won't be a lot to do, because we are stocked up ALL of the time. I just need to check my battery supply and start filling my gas cans with gas and stabilizer for use with my generator should it be needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hurricane season drives me crazy. I worry and worry. I guess I need to get some stuff together soon. I wonder what we need to defend ourselves from flying tar/oil-balls....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love Hurricane season!!! I know, I'm strange.... Love the suspense, and the waiting, and the preparing!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english...pply_kit.shtml

http://www.ready.gov/america/beinformed/hurricanes.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For sure. I was reviewing a hurricane awareness guide, but was some what confused. Concerning a storm surge, that is how far inland the waves can go, correct? I live two hours from the coast, so not sure how in danger I would be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I presume most of you in hurricane-prone areas already have this link bookmarked. But, in case not, here is the link to the National Hurricane Center's forecasting website.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adalynn View Post
    For sure. I was reviewing a hurricane awareness guide, but was some what confused. Concerning a storm surge, that is how far inland the waves can go, correct? I live two hours from the coast, so not sure how in danger I would be.
    storm surge won't bother you but power outages and high winds will. in Alicia, my parents were two hours inland and were without power and water for a week. and gasoline and cash too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by savvy_sniper View Post
    For those of you that are in hurricane prone areas NOW is the time to check your supplies and start stocking up. It is recommended that you have AT LEAST a three day supply of food and water. From my own experience, I would start with a three day supply and build up to a two week supply IF at all possible.

For those of us with stockpiles there won't be a lot to do, because we are stocked up ALL of the time. I just need to check my battery supply and start filling my gas cans with gas and stabilizer for use with my generator should it be needed.
    i refill my water drums when a storm is in the gulf. i need batteries. i have cases of candles and will use those to cook with as well as for light.

after ike i made a few notes:
    i needed a chain saw, an axe, paper plates and utensils, trash bags.

i need cash

and gerbil shavings for the composting toilet bucket.

i have to go find my old post and remember what i wrote. be right back.

ok here is what i reported after hurricane ike:
    here are my notes for next hurricane.

phone "calling tree" per our employer fell apart and did not work. need one person with a WORKING phone to call all the people in our department.

i chose not to do my weekly shopping because i thought i would be out of power, and would end up with a fridge full of rotten food. Now i have an empty fridge with a bottle of ketchup to eat. (Now i do have a room of food and supplies a la LDS church...)
    grocery issues: i badly need kitty litter (pew!), bunny supplies, a block of cheese, paper plates and disposable flatware. without cheese most of my planned meals didn't work. there is nothing on the store shelves.

i ran out of caffeine!

i need to buy an axe, hatchet, a taller ladder, and circular saw for debris removal

i did not have enough contractor trash bags.

make more ice and FILL the chest freezer with ice.

i need to buy and learn how to use a weapon. people are panicking and stealing/ siphoning gas out of neighbors' cars.

lemon juice and lime juice make nice cold drinks. i made cherry limeade.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This explains storm surge a little bit. Storm Surge

I live 12 miles inland, and I'm out of the storm surge area. Your area should have evac zones, and that would be indicative of where you are for a major storm surge. I doubt that you would have to worry about that. Your major problems would be wind, tornadoes, and power loss.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had lots of damage from Hurricane rita. None from Ike but 10 minutes down the road the center part of town was flooded, nearby town had water that reached above the houses, it's funny how each hurricane is so different.

We live on a main highway. (evacuation route) During Rita my son had to get down out of his car to stop traffic for us to get out. Took us 2 hours to move 5 miles down the road. We have a nice stockpile but definitely need some extra items. I am sure we are in for one heck of a season.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I definitely need to get more water, batteries, flashlights and get a first aid kit together. I also need to get some more food items. Hurricane season really sneaks up quick!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL - THAT is a new concern! I will be watching and reading to see if there are ANY recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerGirl1226 View Post
    I wonder what we need to defend ourselves from flying tar/oil-balls....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always have a secondary concern about the inlaws evacuating here, they live ever near the coast. That makes me worry the most...a long term visit like in 2008 for Gustav.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by savvy_sniper View Post
    LOL - THAT is a new concern! I will be watching and reading to see if there are ANY recommendations.
    Hey, maybe we could collect them in rain barrels and then sell the oil to make money lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by TigerGirl1226 View Post
    I always have a secondary concern about the inlaws evacuating here, they live ever near the coast. That makes me worry the most...a long term visit like in 2008 for Gustav.
    I would like to feed some of my ex-inlaws to a hurricane or tornado. Unfortunately they are miserable and will continue to outlive me just to spite me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh no.... Thanks for reminding me that my FIL will be moving in here if one is coming.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast