Winter storm, do you last minute prep ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Generator filled with extra gas cans. Propane heater in the shop. We have a propane cooktop so good there. We usually fill the tubs with water to flush the toilets ... just in case. We would need the generator mostly for DFIL's oxygen concentrator machine The pantry and freezers are full. Flashlights and candles are always ready.

Yep, we are always ready.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would be okay unless we have a long stretch with no power...........then I have no heat....brrrr.

Food, lighting, and water I am fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep fairly well prepared ahead of time, but if I know a storm is coming, I'll go buy some extra bread and milk, take stock of everything else to see what we're a little low on, and do some other minor things.

I like to get the power outage supplies ready, changing batteries in flashlights if need be, bring some firewood in, make sure my gas tank is completely filled, do dishes, and wash all the laundry and some extra blankets.

Hehe, I also like to make sure I'm showered. I make sure to take a shower when our water is still running, and the electricity is still on...nothing like having to take a shower in the dark or cold...or having no water to even TAKE the shower. I still have to go to work, even when the weather is bad, so I'd rather shower the night before, than to risk waking up with no way to bathe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a couple of hand cranked flashlights and lantern. (Also have one battery powered lantern but don't know if I have batteries for it.) The flashlights also have radios in them. However, I need to pick up a water filter. I tossed out my other one since it didn't seem to be as efficient anymore. I think I'm going to make the most of the day my car will be in the shop next week and clean out my fridge and food closet so I can restock them with healthier food.

On the other hand, my parents live down the street from me and they have both a fireplace (with a stock of wood) and a good stockpile of other stuff. I can walk there if it comes to that. (And I'd rather be there where I can keep an eye on them anyway if it comes down to it.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I live in Massachusetts, the home of Fluffernutters, Charleston Chews, Necco Waifers and Blizzards

I am lucky enough to have a gas stove and I make sure I have plenty of 'stove-top friendly' items in my pantry if the power goes out. I also have an 'old' perk pot.

Yesterday I was grabbing some fresh produce for a gift I was making and I heard someone say something about getting a snow storm on Christmas...

Off to aisle 4 -swoosh- 1 bag of coffee in to the grinder and set on 'perk'.

Diva: Why are you getting coffee?
    Me: Coffee can save your life if the power goes out.
    Diva: Coffee can save your life?
    Me: No, it can save yours...

(another Mother in the aisle overheard me and giggled)

Priorities ya know!

We have a lot of blankets and if we lose power for a long time, or over-night, we all climb in to my bed and it gets so warm I have to jump out to cool off.

Handcranked flashlight/radio/phone charger for Old Man and I, an oil lamp and enough candles to re-enact the burning of Atlanta.

There's not much more to prep for... around here, blizzards are something that we are use to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in the city and can walk to a Walmart if I had to. (it is 1 mile, and another grocery store is 1 mile) It would have to take a pretty good storm to knock out our WalMart from commission. heehee...

I have small exotic animals that need extra warmth so I have a stock of blankets specifically for them, always have extra food for them. I have backup plans for their care.

I always have dog food, a month's worth. I always have canned goods and although we wouldn't be eating a huge variety of suppers we would have food to survive until I could walk to that Walmart I mentioned.

Basically its pretty easy to deal with when in town, I've yet to be literally "snowed in" and unable to leave the house.

I do have some bottled water but its not something I consistently stock, I probably should do some jugs for emergency.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a coal stove and plenty of coal, so heat is covered. We have candles galore, so light is covered (at least partially). We have flashlights as well. I have lots of canned goods, and there is a flat surface on the coal stove for minor heating (like if I wanted to heat the spaghettios.) We wouldn't eat well, but we would eat. Our closest store is 15 miles or so, so there is no "running out to the store" if we hear there is a storm. Not to mention that it's usually wiped out anyway. We have water enough for a week and a propane grill outside. It would be cold, but we could cook out there
    Also, something I always have on hand is powdered milk and parmalot. If I can't run out for water, I can't run out for milk, either!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post
    It probably says something about me that the one thing I have fully stocked and never run out of is coffee.

My big thing, when the storms hit, is that I always lose power, which means I lose water, because I'm on a well. I have a woodstove, and I can use it like a stovetop, so that helps. I don't stock enough bottled water, but I do try to have about 25 gallons on hand, just in case. Recently, I've also started stockpiling tap water, for washing and flushing purposes. I also traded up on my holding tank, and went from a 1500 to a 2500 gallon tank. Although I have to hike out to it and turn the spigot when the power goes out, it is nice to know I have that much water to use. The last time the power crashed on me, I was without electricity and water for several days. Happily, it typically happens only about once a year here.

(Of course, my phone line, which has been out for over a week now, is another story. One small gust of wind is enough to knock phones out, and cell phones don't work up here. At least it is nice and quiet for the holidays!)
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We don't have winter storms but we do have hurricanes...we have a generator...would have to either find the flashlights or buy some, have candles but need more..have a grill which we used alot when we had the 4 hurricanes...fill the bathtub up with water for flushing, try to have the laundry caught up and jugs of water filled...plenty of food and hand can opener...
    one question asked was do we have food cooked up...when we knew the hurricanes was headed our way and definitely coming over us yes, I did cook up food...chicken, hamburger etc...put in storage containers...filled jugs with water and froze and when the electric when out I put the frozen jugs in the fridge.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a mini test run the other day. Normally we don't lose our power unless there is a accident that takes out a pole. This last time, a transformer had a problem and shut down 1300 households locally. Only 2 hrs. thank goodness.

We have well water, so me pulling water out of the tap, only made for lots of air in the lines. And a little brownish colored water. Not good. So next time, I won't turn on the tap unless we are out of water and really need it.
    What really got me thinking was what if I had to start canning freezer contents. I would really have to have some stored water ready to go.

The generator did good and ran the OWB for our heat, and his TV. We used flashlights. Don't like candles. Propane cookstove so we had coffee using the perculator pot. We also knew not to open the frig or the freezer doors.

So everything did go well for our short time problem. Just gave me some food for thought though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    We have well water, so me pulling water out of the tap, only made for lots of air in the lines. And a little brownish colored water. Not good. So next time, I won't turn on the tap unless we are out of water and really need it.
    What really got me thinking was what if I had to start canning freezer contents. I would really have to have some stored water ready to go.
    Is there any way you can get the generator to run the well pump? I set ours up like that and it made a HUGE difference to our power-out quality of life. You need a fairly big generator (4kW or more), and it has to be located where the power is needed, either permanently or by trundling it over there, but I am so glad I did that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post
    I live in Massachusetts, the home of Fluffernutters, Charleston Chews, Necco Waifers and Blizzards

I am lucky enough to have a gas stove and I make sure I have plenty of 'stove-top friendly' items in my pantry if the power goes out. I also have an 'old' perk pot.

Yesterday I was grabbing some fresh produce for a gift I was making and I heard someone say something about getting a snow storm on Christmas...

Diva: Why are you getting coffee?
    Me: Coffee can save your life if the power goes out.
    Diva: Coffee can save your life?
    Me: No, it can save yours...

(another Mother in the aisle overheard me and giggled)

Priorities ya know!
    The day Katrina hit, I came home from work about noon, made a full pot of coffee and poured it in my thermos.
    The power went out about an hour later.
    The next morning, I called my father down the street and asked if he wanted a cup of coffee - not piping hot, but hot enough.
    He asked, "Where in the world did you get coffee?"
    I explained my priorities.....
    Of course, I had to make coffee on my gas grill for the next week and a half, but still.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KeithBC View Post
    Is there any way you can get the generator to run the well pump? I set ours up like that and it made a HUGE difference to our power-out quality of life. You need a fairly big generator (4kW or more), and it has to be located where the power is needed, either permanently or by trundling it over there, but I am so glad I did that!
    We actually have 2 generators. A small one we had bought new and used for camping years ago. Then our regular size one we bought used. Not sure of the output it can handle. But if we were down for more than a few hours, he would have to do the well so I could draw some water off if need be. We eventually want a BIG one that can handle the whole house at once. Not sure what to power it with. We were looking at a propane one just over $ 2000.
    Because we heat with the OWB, we no longer have a big propane tank here. Just use one hundred pounders for the cookstove. One on and one filled for backup. We maybe could use a hundred pounder for a generator. Sometime this year, we will look more serious into it. Got to get saved up for it first.

I also want to look into setting up, a second run for our OWB. We have the extra part on the OWB, just need a line run. Maybe heat the garage, and hopefully, a small greenhouse I want to see built. Maybe not this year, but next year.

This year, I would like a second coop set up to raise more chickens. I don't want babies, in with the laying flock. We raised some last year, and we got it all to work, but without a permanent second coop, we made more work for ourselves. I *borrowed* a part of his nice shed to put the broody cages in. In the Fall I had to give back that area.

It's cash only here now. We save up for what new things/additions we need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We were pretty much prepared this last week before an ice storm hit, but mostly because we live far from shopping and keep a pantry, have a couple of generators, etc. When Ivan hit a few years ago, we learned how desperately we needed generators and were ready for Katrina. DH had an industrial electrician/friend help him hook up a generator for whole house use, so we can run almost everything but the heat pump with it. I've bought bags of candles at the thrift store.

I did not cook anything extra, but purchased a percolator for the wood stove because coffee is very important to us :-D! I could have thawed vegetable soup on the wood stove, cooked eggs, etc. DH had been busy splitting wood for the wood stove and we have a kerosene heater in the basement. We did not lose power, thankfully. The ice storm was not nearly as bad as one from about 82/83 because this fell as sleet instead of freezing rain. DH did decide to get an additional propane heater and an extra kerosene can since we have to make a special trip in the old (gas-guzzling) truck to buy it, so fewer trips would save money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    But if we were down for more than a few hours, he would have to do the well so I could draw some water off if need be.
    I would recommend doing a bit of electrical work ahead of time to make this possible. You don't want to be doing an emergency rewire to get the pump hooked up during a power failure.

A simple, frugal, and safe way to pre-wire the pump is to install an electrical outlet that uses the same style of 240-volt outlet as your generator. The outlet is wired so that it receives power from the main breaker panel. The well pump gets a matching plug, and is normally plugged into the new outlet. When the power goes out, you just unplug the well pump from its outlet and plug it into the generator.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast