This 1 year supply of food is cheaper than my food budget
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default This 1 year supply of food is cheaper than my food budget

http://survivalacres.com/cgi-bin/qui...xact_match=yes

Ok I know it sounds crazy, but I was looking at this site and saw how they ship all this food, supposedly good for 1 person for an entire year. I divided it up and it comes to $100 a month. Entire meals done for a year for less than I'm spending currently on my food budget?

I had this wild idea that I wont do but wanted to throw it out there: would you ever consider buying just a ton of this and screw grocery shopping? Heck in my case I could use the remaining $50 out of my food budget for the fresh food and still break even.

I don't like grocery shopping, I don't like having to figure out what's for dinner.

Would you do it? Why/why not?

Registered User Gotonenerveleft's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well for convenience you might want to do that but for savings I'd think you could do better on your own. Seems like a big portion of that was dried beans. Those are some of the cheapest items any grocery store has. Doesn't take much to get the same amount listed on that site...just won't have the handy cans to keep them in. Do they sell some of that stuff individually (I didn't look)?....if they do you could have a mixture of things you could get easily on your own and things they have that you want. Seems like you'd still have less time spent in the store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Moneywise it may be cheaper, but you have to LIKE it. Maybe you can buy smaller amounts to see if you will even like it... once you spent the money, it's gone and you are having to force yourself in to eating dehydrated bacon flavored veggie (tvp).

I agree, you can do some of the food yourself (beans, potato flakes, etc). Maybe look for a package that is legume free?

I have been considering ordering some things I know I would not be able to do myself (ie: butter) but I wouldn't go head first in to large purchases for daily foods without at least trying it first.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the idea of substitutions they have. I would get the 4 person, one year plan if I could cough up the dough for it - $2700.

I did bookmark the site.

Thanks,
    Lee

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't think I'd do this even if we had the money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know I woukd not like this... I like to prepare my food from scratch so i know what is in it... To me I say Yuck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like there would not be much of a variety of food. I wouldn't like it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My only concern would be that some foods I wouldn't like !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For the same amount of money, I think that you could do much better on your own. Me personally, I wouldn't do it as I love to cook my own food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aside from a few soup mixes, I see a lot of ingredients...wheat, cornmeal, rice, potato flakes, etc. Unless this comes with a detailed menu plan, you'd still have to figure out what to make for meals, and how to stretch it over a year's time. Just a thought...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For the one person, one year selection, they recommend 4 gallons of cooking oil. I don't think I've gone through 4 gallons of oil in 3 years, for two of us and occasional guests.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I could *survive* on this but it's not something I'd choose to eat for an entire year. I don't think I could gag down that much TVP, just for starters. And I see some quantity problems, like what do you do with a bucket of 108 eggs after you open it for an omelet? Raw eggs keep a couple or three days, which means you have extra work separating and freezing them.

I agree with Samigirl too that you still have to menu plan each week.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know that I would do this...I have in the past when my kids was in school ordered a years supply of food from a company but it was the stuff that I would buy at a grocery store, canned goods flour, sugar, cereal and all but you got a years supply but you only ordered the things that you wanted. It was 1/4 the price that I was spending at the local store and it also included frozen meat, fish, and chicken. It was canned goods and things that you would buy at the store anyway and buying in large qty I could get it for 1/4 what I was paying at the store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hm, I don't know why I thought they would give a menu planner for all that food. I mean, how is someone supposed to know how/when to eat the food to make it last the whole year if they don't do a menu planner?

I have a large unfinished basement so that day I was daydreaming about this big ol' truck pulling up, loading all the food into my house, I tromp it down to the basement, on shelves maybe, never have to leave the house again except to work....ahhhh yessss.... I have weird fantasies sometimes.

Some days I can eat the same thing over and over and other days I think I'll scream if I have to eat another apple because I don't want them to spoil but I'm sick of them.

I'll just slowly keep building up my own stockpile instead, and then it will be what I want to eat. I really was fantasizing about that idea though. I dislike grocery shopping and have even considered having groceries delivered, just ordering them online, but I don't want people to do that when I'm capable, for one thing, and then I'd miss the great sales, for another thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG, did you read the part where they recommend you add 4 Gallons of cooking oil to this? What 1 person uses 4 Gallons of cooking oil in a year?

I see the point of this and would consider it a pretty good savings. First, let's assume the food tastes good, which I am sure with the addition of a few spices that you have on hand and herbs that you can grow it would. Just think of all the gas and wear and tear on your car you would save. Also, since you won't be at the store there would be no impulse purchases. Financially I am sure it would be a good savings.

of course, usually dried foods are higher in sodium which is something that you would have to watch and you might get bored with the selection.

Personally, I wouldn't buy this, but would rather spend a few bucks on some seeds and plants, grow a garden myself and them preserve the food. Total cost would come in well under the $1200 they want even if I broke down and purchased good garden soil to grow it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast