Prepping Faster than a SuperStorm...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Prepping Faster than a SuperStorm...

The empath is me has been saving containers, trying to bulk up the stockpile, getting smaller denominations of money in to the house ... the feeling of "having to prepare" haunts me every day... no, I am not paranoid

I read this article today about SuperStorms in Cali...
    The scientists built a model that showed a storm could last for more than 40 days and dump 10 feet of water on the state. The storm would be goaded on by an "atmospheric river" that would move water "at the same rate as 50 Mississippis discharging water into the Gulf of Mexico," according to the AP. Winds could reach 125 miles per hour, and landslides could compound the damage, the report notes.
    Yes, I know it also said it is hypothetical but not improbable, so I am not quite Chicken Little-ing it over here.... (yet)

I live on the east coast, but I know that if something like this WAS to happen it would have a ripple effect.

Let's pretend the article is dead on and this WILL happen...

How would you prepare for this? (Limit yourself to what you know you can do physically and financially... no saying you will build a bullet/fire/waterproof ark if you live in an apartment )

Complete Article

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it was to happen here I definitely wouldn't have a home since I live in a valley and on the water. I think I would pack up what I could & move to our families (vacant for the summer) house... but then again I probably couldn't because of the hill behind it probably coming down...
    We are very self sufficient and hmmm....good question Lady_V.
    We'd leave for another place/state and start over. I don't expect others to take care of me.

If you're talking about it happenening there and how I would get ready for the "ripple effect" I guess I'd be making do more food wise and stock up on what I could. Growing what I could on my own... I do alot of that stuff already...I'd also be willing to help house a family temporarily.

Last edited by Darlene; 01-18-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What an article-really gets one thinking. And Lady V, I just love your avatar!

Darlene, I'm so sorry you are still strudeless! Perhaps it will give you a bit of comfort to know that even though I won, I haven't received the coupons, so we haven't yet partaken of the said delicacy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post
    The empath is me has been saving containers, trying to bulk up the stockpile, getting smaller denominations of money in to the house ... the feeling of "having to prepare" haunts me every day... no, I am not paranoid

I read this article today about SuperStorms in Cali...

Yes, I know it also said it is hypothetical but not improbable, so I am not quite Chicken Little-ing it over here.... (yet)

I live on the east coast, but I know that if something like this WAS to happen it would have a ripple effect.

Let's pretend the article is dead on and this WILL happen...

How would you prepare for this? (Limit yourself to what you know you can do physically and financially... no saying you will build a bullet/fire/waterproof ark if you live in an apartment )

Complete Article
    I was just reading about that as well today. I have lots of family in CA and was wondering how seriously they were going to take it. At the very least to get finances in order would be priority so if they had to evacuate they could, y'know?

So then I pondered myself about what the heck I would do in case of emergency in general. I'm screwed. One night my furnace went out and all I could think of was how a hotel would probably not allow all my pets. (some places will take A dog or A cat, some are more forgiving, but have you seen my crew??) My car would barely physically fit them all, for starters.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Given our finances at this time, there'd be little I could do in preparing for the worst case scenario. However, little would be better then nothing, so I guess I'd just continue doing what I've been doing.

-paying down debt
    -getting everything I can for free with coupons and sales
    -stockpiling blankets, linens, etc.
    -stockpiling non perishables
    -getting decluttered and organized

What I need to think on is getting water stockpiled and making that solar oven I was going to make over the Summer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We already prep for a SHTH scenario. If I knew for certain that it would storms. . . in CA (I live in IL), I'd add to my stockpile of pineapple, juice concentrates, etc.

I'd put the wood stove back in the house- and start cutting wood again (figure the price of everything would mean I'd not be able to afford propane heat/cooking).

I'd enlarge my garden a bit, and make sure I canned/dehydrated everything possible - rather than give it away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I have been thinking about these things lately too...

with the dead birds falling from the skies... the dead fish floating in the rivers and now the 200 dead cows....I simply think that we need to get back to the easier simpler way of living and seriously considering becoming competely vegetarian...dd would encompany me in becoming vegetarian...however ds and dh would not.....I want to have an extreme garden this year so that i can can all of the veggies that we would need for a good year....pickles relish.tomato sauce etc....I want to know where it is coming from.....with that being said...for some reason our income tax return is bigger than it ever has been before... i think it is cause dh didn't work most of the year and we are getting a huge income tax return.....so i would like to take 1,000 of it and put it directly into making us self sufficient....and stockpiling....any ideas.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had read the article before Lady_V too, and my first thought was,"Glad I don't live in CA anymore!"

But to answer your question...if I knew this was coming and not here? I'd probably get another wood stove I could cook on and some cisterns/rain barrels.

Or, I'd move. We live in a swale, wants to flood every spring. If there is a BIG flood here, I'm under water, period. Our house is on the bottom of a downhill on a small mtn and there's no basement here because it's bedrock (granite) 4' down. So, if I knew it was coming where I am? I'd leave. If I knew it was coming elsewhere and thought we'd not get it here? I'd get a different woodstove and more water storage.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great question. I've been feeling very "paranoid" lately too, according to all of my friends. I've chalked it all up to my current financial woes, but just can't stop thinking about all of the "what ifs".

Because I'm in a tiny, expensive apartment, my options are really limited. I'm stockpiling what I can, as far as dried beans, rice, etc., and also canned goods. I've just switched to a vegetarian diet and by doing so, realized how much easier it would be to have food without refrigeration. One thing I haven't figured out is a way to cook. I'm considering some camping stuff - little stove, etc., but that is not going to last me very long. It would be reasonable for a short amount of time but not more than a month. Can you even use camp stoves indoors? Research...must research...

We are currently searching for a bigger yet less expensive apartment (more reasonable than it sounds - trust me!) Hopefully this will allow more stockpiling and preperation options than I currently have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure we would do much different. Our house is on a stable hillside, so no worries about flooding or mudslides. I might get the roof fixed, though. We heat with wood anyway, and we have a good supply laid in (We're starting to collect our 2012-1013 wood now) so no worries there. We might stock up a little more with food. Within a few years, we'll be more self-sufficient for food. Hopefully it won't happen until then.