Attn Preppers! What do you think about the current world situation? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    Happy Mama...got your message with the address for the board...accidentally deleted it and couldn't find the other thread...I'm a mess today. Please, pretty please, would you message it to me again.
    Already did hon!

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by HappyMama View Post
    I was stunned I went to stock up on my 25 pounds of cocoa powder and it doubled from last year. To are you ready for this ..... from 2.75 a pound to 5.39 a pound. Yikes..... Now believe me I watch the commodities and knew it was coming but still... I more or less stock my pantry for those who scream hoarding...lol as we can't eat certain foods for allergies. We eat well and for a lot less then the "hoarding" screamers do at MC'Ds per month , sorry just gets old....lol So I tend to not answer certain ones anymore but this one is interesting as prices will continue to rise that is for sure. I will always admire those who prepare whether it is a budget, financial plan, menus, pantry stocking, bulk buying , gardening, canning, dehydrating, couponing and live life to the fullest then those who sick back spend every penny and complain. Though I know everyone here on this board tries their best it is interesting watching the ones in life that don't and the results yr after yr.

$5.39 a pound! I'm working with a small budget, I think I'm going to have to buy my cocoa in smaller quantities. I can get it at a bulk store in 1 1/2 or so pound bags. I can a lot of bulk foods in smaller amounts there. I think maybe I need to focus on smaller amounts of foods each week. We are at the mercy of week to week and it really is having a mental impact on me. I've always been one to look ahead, plan for lay off, hard times, etc. I don't think it's a bad idea to be stocked to the rafters, heck, that's what kept us alive the first year my husband got laid off. We are now 3+ years in and I'm kicking myself for not being better prepared. So stock away folks, you never know when the worst is going to hit you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    $5.39 a pound! I'm working with a small budget, I think I'm going to have to buy my cocoa in smaller quantities. I can get it at a bulk store in 1 1/2 or so pound bags. I can a lot of bulk foods in smaller amounts there. I think maybe I need to focus on smaller amounts of foods each week. We are at the mercy of week to week and it really is having a mental impact on me. I've always been one to look ahead, plan for lay off, hard times, etc. I don't think it's a bad idea to be stocked to the rafters, heck, that's what kept us alive the first year my husband got laid off. We are now 3+ years in and I'm kicking myself for not being better prepared. So stock away folks, you never know when the worst is going to hit you.
    Know exactly what you mean Polly. I take my food budget per month and concentrate on a couple things that month. Like one month might be wheat, the next might be oils, etc and spend the same amount every month but one month might be no meat, no veggies, no anything but milk etc and do the couple products I am focusing on so I can make pantry meals. Hope that makes sense. Sending blessings your way know exactly what you mean about small budgets and trying to stretch things, it is good summer is coming.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

HappyMama, thanks for the links on commodities!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm counting on that good Summer HappyMama. we really need to expand our garden and I need to get busier with preserving food. I'm paying for a small garden last season right now.

I was kind of thinking that same thing, focusing on one thing, or maybe two. Beans and cocoa are what I'm thinking to start, but I just might change that when I get out there and see what the deals are. I'm thinking this is going to need some prayer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try to stock up and be prepared.

* Definantly upping my HBA stockpile
    * Think I will stock some dried beans and rice
    * canned fruits

What kind of things are you stocking up on and how do you decide how much to stock?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Coffee, I forgot coffee. I'm so stocking up on coffee. And tea, goodness I can't function without my morning coffee and my tea during the day. We've been without coffee for about 4 days now and boy am I dragging.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stocked up on the big cans of Folgers coffee last week when our little grocery store in town had it for 6.99/can.

I'm going to be concentrating on bulk items this weekend. We have a trip to Sam's planned and then it will be week to week shopping to fill in. I hate to take the money out of our emergency fund but with the way the dollar is tanking, it may be useless before too long anyway.

I know a lot of people are buying into silver, gold is too expensive.

Today I am prepping my storage areas, rotating stock and hoping my foodsaver comes today.

Suzanne

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am stocking up a bit more. Not so much because of the Mideast unrest but the Union unrest in our state plus rising food prices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nodmicks ~ I read about the union situation - unnerving!

Polly ~ I am trying to get my pantry to a point where I only shop to stock my pantry - not to get week to week items (aside from milk). I'm considering switching to powdered milk for my coffee, also. For example, this week I stocked up on rice and most of our meals for the week will be based on rice. Consider making this week's grocery shopping only a stock up trip and meal plan accordingly. It might mean a week that is not fabulous in terms of variety but it would get you a leg up.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one seeing the effect. After I move next weekend I'm doing a stock-up only shopping trip myself. Thank goodness I enjoy scratch cooking!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep unnerving. I see nothing wrong with needing the state employees to pay more but union busting I see a problem with. There is a fear once on unon is busted more will follow.

I wish I had a video of dh going grocery shopping with me. Its horrible as far as prices but his shock is kind of funny!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Daisygirl, I did decide to focus on on 2 things this week. But not cocoa or beans, I found cheese and eggs. Eggs are 99 cents a dozen, you are only allowed 2 per person, but I'll be taking my boys with me and they can each get 2. I could not get them today, it will have to wait till night. And the cheese was crazy cheap at the food thrift. They put the new stuff out next to it and it was marked twice as much. I bought as much as I had money for.

nodmicks, LOL! My DH is the same way *Grins*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm going to Samsclub tomorrow (my youngest fella's B'day is today and his nanny who doesn't drive long distance's (samsclub is a 50 minute ride) want's to take him B'day shopping tomorrow)..I hope the prices haven't increased since a couple of weeks ago..I plan on buying more sugar,flour,bread flour,salt,coffee and some meat..I will stockup on more of the same items listed plus more above in a couple of more weeks when I take my brother grocery shopping..I think I will stock 250 to 350lbs of sugar..I know that sounds like alot but I have a family of 6..I'm totally focused on stocking upon as much as I can before the prices hit us real hard..I'm taking inventory of everything I have so I know what I really have instead of a guesstament..I will also have a year supply on more medicine's,Q'tip's,toilet paper,detergent's,fabric softener..I'm fortunate to have a head start on alot of food and non-food item's because I have OCD and that's just me..With the income tax money we purchased another Food saver to replace my old one that is dying... also bought a Zuchirushi bread machine and going to purchase a Mantis rototiller and dh is building me a couple more raised bed's to expand my garden..all purchase's will save us alot of money in the long run..I also want to put in solar light's( plus light's on each side of the house) around our property so our lawn is lit up at night to hopefully scare off any theives..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    .I also want to put in solar light's( plus light's on each side of the house) around our property so our lawn is lit up at night to hopefully scare off any theives..
    Just a note here...with the outside/in the ground solar lights...you can put them outside in the day of course...but in case of no electric you can bring inside in evening/dark for light...vague light but light nonetheless....learned in hurricanes. Also able to be carried from room to room and no danger of fire if asleep. Very nice thing to have several on hand and non expensive
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Karen, this might sound a little nuts.......but January 2007, I really felt that the Lord was urging me to start stockpiling items that my family would be needing if we should ever fall on hard times again (dh had been laid off for 6 months the prior year). At first, I thought I was being silly...but after about a year....and now with how everything is happening around us....I realize that I was suppose to start stockpiling when I did for a reason.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast