Attn Preppers! What do you think about the current world situation? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Also...I have been asking around on craigslist/freecycle/friends, etc. that if they have any old rubbermaid-like totes/ trashcans or old green recycle bins that they no longer need, I would be happy to take them off their hands. My soil is very poor in the backyard...I can grow fruit trees, but not veggies, so I need to do container gardening....no one wants to give the containers away......apparently, I believe, that its b/c everyone has the same idea as I do.

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll be honest, the events just to the south of us are making me nervous. Tunisia, Morocco, Libya, Egypt and Lebanon are not that far from Greece and it's not like we have the greatest economy to start with. Personally we are moving out of our apartment at the end of June so my stockpile can't be for more than 4 months but I have been both trying to fill in any gaps in our stockpile to get us through the strikes and empty shelf weeks that have started happening more and more, and at the same time plan (on paper) for getting my NEW stockpile going from SCRATCH once we move to our new place. For example I set aside my entire tax refund for starting the new stockpile.

Some things that have changed since I was planning for this year (last year), that I'm now planning to put into my new stockpile this fall are cooking gas canisters for when there is no electricity, more bulgur wheat (a form of wheat that can be eaten without cooking - I stockpiled about 8 lbs but I'm going to make sure to have far more next year), and more things that can be traded/bartered, rather than just asking myself "is this something I and my husband will eat/use?" - I need to make sure I have things to trade with. Also, as always, our medicine chest is enormous.

Also I think this year I will finally get vaccinated for some things I've let slide in the past.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

greekislandgirl I can see how this would make you nervous. But you really seem to be on top of things, despite all the challenges you face.

I know I watched the world news last night and it really shook me just how much unrest there is. Made me wonder if and what I should be doing within my own walls. Life is never certain. We never expected Pearl Harbor or 911, but it happened. And when I think of how unprepared for Katrina our government was, and I suspect still is, well....it makes me want to do everything I can to protect mine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Manyhouseapes ~ I have felt the exact same "calling" recently. I have been loathe to spend money on anything except vital items and things that can be used if the grid goes down. I hate to sound like a paranoid person but, as the saying goes, are you really paranoid if.....

The unrest in Libya sounds as though it will be out and out civil war with the week. I can see no way around it unless Gadhafi (sp?) is assasinated. The only way he will release control is in a casket. If that happens and the US steps in, well, we might be in for a real fight - he won't go quietly - that's for sure.

Greekislandgirl ~ A dear friend of mine is in Athens - she has told me of the horrible situation there - I'll be praying for your safety and well-being.

Everyday it seems that the news is more intense - I haven't felt this level of urgency....well, EVER.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by many houseapes View Post
    Also...I have been asking around on craigslist/freecycle/friends, etc. that if they have any old rubbermaid-like totes/ trashcans or old green recycle bins .
    Check out your thrift stores. I found some rubbermaid totes at our Rescue Mission this winter, at $ 1 each. No covers. But worked for what I needed them for in the garage. Guess I should check for more to try my hand at container gardening on the porch this summer. I have the regular garden but I like to experiment.
    I need a better place to hide started cucumber plants from the rabbits.

twilight
    Tourist

I think I should have a 1 year supply of food. Working on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a close person stuck in this mess in Libya. Our news is "G-rated" compared to what is actually going on. If you pray he needs a few right now.

I've been a good "stockpiler" but not great about emergency preparedness. I've started by ordering some emergency packs of food - mostly veggies and put that into my rotation. Oddly enough, my family would prefer dehydrated over canned or frozen. I'm still working on the overall math but that may be our way to go. I'm going to have the 11 y/o build a solar oven also. Baby steps but they are steps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

im very worried as America is headed for some very very hard times ahead as our own government has thrown the American people under the bus---i for one am stockpiling like crazy food,water,candles,wood -for the wood stoves-and even weapons---i plan to protect what we have here--I'm going to put a very big garden this year to put even more up and ill be planting more fruit trees too.I'll be going to a lot of yard sales to get more canning jars to add to what i still have and i will be soon going out to dig up wild red raspberries to transplant around the land and i just put a large order for open pollinated/heritage seeds as you can save the seeds to plant next year and they bill breed true unlike hybrid seeds and ill put some in vacuum sealed jars as they will keep for years I'm sealing lots of stuff in vacuum bags for long time storage and my herbs too-i grew shortly after ww2 and we survived the carter years and our present government will make carter look like rambo i hope everyone survives the coming storm so be prepared as much as you can ---hugs to all fv

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

p.s. we will be converting all 3 of our dodge 4x4 trucks all old -1979,1977 and 1983 to propane/gas to have dual fuel as propane is very cheap

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    Just a note here...with the outside/in the ground solar lights...you can put them outside in the day of course
    I found them at the Dollar Tree, they look exactly like the one I bought at Walgreen's for twice the price!

Still struggling with finding places for it all, but I managed to stock up on non-perishable carbs.

Hoping to hit BJ's later today to get sugar and a few other staples. Gas is getting crazy already...I filled up on Thursday and paid $3.45 and it went UP on Friday...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a stockpile, but I'm going to start one.

I have a question about storing things like flour and sugar.
    How and where do you store a large quantity of flour so that it doesn't get bugs?
    What about sugar? I live in the very hot and humid deep south. I'm picturing my sugar turning into bricks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post

Gas is getting crazy already...I filled up on Thursday and paid $3.45 and it went UP on Friday...
    This is what I have a problem with - I live about 20 minutes from the closest store, which isn't necessarily a good one to stock up at. Unless the deal is a good one, I can't afford to go to the store all the time! I am starting to look at internet companies to stock up in bulk. This may be a better option for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by wjcalderon View Post
    I have a question about storing things like flour and sugar.
    How and where do you store a large quantity of flour so that it doesn't get bugs?
    I decided to invest in a wheat grinder. Whole wheat berries have a longer shelf life than flour and more nutrients (which may be needed during an "event"). I repackage my berries and keep them in a second fridge (which if the fridge goes out, it will be no problems). I just prefer my rice/wheat in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i vacuum pack 5 lbs of flour and sugar using the large vacuum bags you buy at wal mart and they fit in them and after i vacuum pack them i have some old very large coolers i store them in

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I store my flour in two buckets with gamma lids.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast