Attn Preppers! What do you think about the current world situation? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 125
  1. #46
    Registered User many houseapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    texas
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,518
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wjcalderon View Post
    I don't have a stockpile, but I'm going to start one.

    I have a question about storing things like flour and sugar.
    How and where do you store a large quantity of flour so that it doesn't get bugs?
    What about sugar? I live in the very hot and humid deep south. I'm picturing my sugar turning into bricks!
    I live in a very humid climate as well. I store my flour in big ice cream buckets w/ a few bay leaves ...they keep the bugs away. As for sugar...for right now,I keep my bags in the freezer (we also have a problem w/ants from time to time)

  2. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Podunk Central Texas
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelli_wnj View Post
    This is what I have a problem with - I live about 20 minutes from the closest store, which isn't necessarily a good one to stock up at. Unless the deal is a good one, I can't afford to go to the store all the time! I am starting to look at internet companies to stock up in bulk. This may be a better option for me.
    If you are going to buy the freeze dried foods, just know that most places on the internet are having a 45-60 day turnaround time.

    It's getting that bad.

    Suzanne

  3. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wjcalderon View Post
    I don't have a stockpile, but I'm going to start one.

    I have a question about storing things like flour and sugar.
    How and where do you store a large quantity of flour so that it doesn't get bugs?
    What about sugar? I live in the very hot and humid deep south. I'm picturing my sugar turning into bricks!
    I store my flour in the freezer.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #49
    Registered User low-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Manitoba
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    (I had a long post typed up and lost it, so I'm paraphrasing myself here)

    My preparations have not been so much about carrying my family through hard times, but more about being able to provide the essentials for an indefinite amount of time following a major and complete system crash.

    My thought is that if (perhaps when, by the way things seem to be heading) everything was to fail, financial systems, fuel and energy delivery, food distribution networks, supply chains for clothing/utensils/etc., I'd like to know how to sustain myself and my family indefinitely.

    I wouldn't say that I'm a "doomsday" or "armageddon"-type person, but over the last few years I've become more and more pessimistic about the state of the world. Oil supply uncertainty, ecological and environmental damage, water and air pollution, looming pandemics, financial system collapse, overpopulation and over consumption (in my opinion the BIGGEST issue we face as a civilization), and either global-warming or an impending ice-age (depending on the science you choose to believe), I think we are no doubt headed for rough times.

    My way of thinking is that if I had a years supply worth of essentials, I would be good for a year. What happens when that year is up? What if chaos ensues indefinitely? Having a supply of goods is one thing, being able to produce those goods is another. My preparation plans including basic survival skills, not only learning them but practicing them as well. Things like hunting, fishing and trapping without modern equipment, identifying and gathering wild edibles, composting and natural soil amendment, saving seed, procuring and purifying water with natural materials. Those are some of the essentials, but things like light, heat, shelter and clothing also need to be addressed. I'm learning how to render animal fat and natural oils for lamps, tan hides without exotic chemicals, soapmaking, producing natural gas for heating and lighting using biogas (anaerobic) digesters, natural building methods, the list goes on. My goal is to be able to not only live, but thrive with some very very basic tools, like a good axe and a piece of flint, and knowing how to use materials others see as "scrap" or "junk".

    I know it's a little extreme, but it helps keep me sane knowing that if something major was to happen, my family would be fed and watered, warm and clothed and relatively comfortable, and protected. I'm also extremely interested in traditional knowledge and skills of early cultures, love to spend time outdoors, and have a keen interest in alternative fuels and energy, so learning how to "be prepared" is almost a means of recreation and relaxation for me.

  6. #50
    Registered User brenda67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    paradise
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,488
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by low-1 View Post
    (I had a long post typed up and lost it, so I'm paraphrasing myself here)

    My preparations have not been so much about carrying my family through hard times, but more about being able to provide the essentials for an indefinite amount of time following a major and complete system crash.

    My thought is that if (perhaps when, by the way things seem to be heading) everything was to fail, financial systems, fuel and energy delivery, food distribution networks, supply chains for clothing/utensils/etc., I'd like to know how to sustain myself and my family indefinitely.

    I wouldn't say that I'm a "doomsday" or "armageddon"-type person, but over the last few years I've become more and more pessimistic about the state of the world. Oil supply uncertainty, ecological and environmental damage, water and air pollution, looming pandemics, financial system collapse, overpopulation and over consumption (in my opinion the BIGGEST issue we face as a civilization), and either global-warming or an impending ice-age (depending on the science you choose to believe), I think we are no doubt headed for rough times.

    My way of thinking is that if I had a years supply worth of essentials, I would be good for a year. What happens when that year is up? What if chaos ensues indefinitely? Having a supply of goods is one thing, being able to produce those goods is another. My preparation plans including basic survival skills, not only learning them but practicing them as well. Things like hunting, fishing and trapping without modern equipment, identifying and gathering wild edibles, composting and natural soil amendment, saving seed, procuring and purifying water with natural materials. Those are some of the essentials, but things like light, heat, shelter and clothing also need to be addressed. I'm learning how to render animal fat and natural oils for lamps, tan hides without exotic chemicals, soapmaking, producing natural gas for heating and lighting using biogas (anaerobic) digesters, natural building methods, the list goes on. My goal is to be able to not only live, but thrive with some very very basic tools, like a good axe and a piece of flint, and knowing how to use materials others see as "scrap" or "junk".

    I know it's a little extreme, but it helps keep me sane knowing that if something major was to happen, my family would be fed and watered, warm and clothed and relatively comfortable, and protected. I'm also extremely interested in traditional knowledge and skills of early cultures, love to spend time outdoors, and have a keen interest in alternative fuels and energy, so learning how to "be prepared" is almost a means of recreation and relaxation for me.



    Excellent points..I bought some survival book's that pretty much covers all the basic's of living in case the shtf and I we no longer have modern technology..My family (whom lives a 1/4 mile away from me) own's a couple 100 acrea's of farm land that we could hunt, fish,livestock,grow huge garden's and a fresh water spring..My family know's how to hunt,skin and cut up any wild game..My Aunt is a seamstress..My stepmother know's how to make candles and can food..all live wiithin a 1/4 mile of one another..My brother has his own fruit orchard..We could easily build a root cellar in the side of our hill here on our own property..I also have enough fenced in area's that I could have my own little one acrea farm..And the most "important" thing of all my "Dh" can fix & do just about anything..I never have to worry as long as I'm with him.. did I mention he is a Marine..need I say more!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

  7. #51
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,747
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    87

    Default

    Boy, I sure hope we never have to worry about all that. We will be in big trouble, I'm struggling to do what I'm doing now.

  8. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I felt the need to start getting ready years ago. Something just nagged at me. I am no where near prepared as I should be. After having my son I really slacked off. It is something I need to step up in case things really do get bad. The thing I am most worried about is having enough supplies for my DS.

  9. #53
    Registered User Daisygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Welland, Ontario, Canada
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,506
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    I'm finally moved into my new place. It's so much bigger and has so much storage space. I was happy to see how much food I'd managed to stockpile. I hadn't realized how much I had until it was all together in one spot.

    I'm still stockpiling what I can, but now I am able to focus more on self-sufficiency. I'm planning a simple garden (much to my daughter's hysterical laughter - I have a bad history with plants). I'm learning to make things from scratch and to use some alternative cooking methods. When it hits the fan, I'll be more ready than most people - I just hope we have some time before it really falls apart!

    I'm also closer to work and plan to start walking instead of driving. I simply refuse to support these oil companies that are gouging us all unneccessarily.

  10. #54
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,747
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    87

    Default

    I've been trying to follow HappyMama's advice about how to stockpile effectively on a budget. Last time I had money I stocked up on cheese. I would have liked to have gotten a years worth and stuck it in the freezer, but I just do not have the budget for that. So I went smaller.

    This last round I found some really good deals. I think the best one was rice. Now it's not brown, but white, but at this point beggars can't be choosers and as long as it's a clean food I feel okay about stocking it. I bought 20 pounds, I plan on going back tomorrow and getting 20 more. Or maybe more, depends just how much I can store and pull off with my budget.

    My question is for all of the seasoned stockers is, how can I be sure not to get bugs in the rice? I'd like to get a years worth of rice stockpiled. My family eats around ten pounds a month, so 120 pounds. That's a LOT of rice to lose to bug infestation. Right now I have 2 food 5 gallon buckets. I want to save my freezer to stock meat & garden vegetable, so no room for rice. What can I do to insure I don't get bugs?

  11. #55
    Registered User HappyMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    On a Cloud in the Midwest
    Posts
    1,946
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    I've been trying to follow HappyMama's advice about how to stockpile effectively on a budget. Last time I had money I stocked up on cheese. I would have liked to have gotten a years worth and stuck it in the freezer, but I just do not have the budget for that. So I went smaller.

    This last round I found some really good deals. I think the best one was rice. Now it's not brown, but white, but at this point beggars can't be choosers and as long as it's a clean food I feel okay about stocking it. I bought 20 pounds, I plan on going back tomorrow and getting 20 more. Or maybe more, depends just how much I can store and pull off with my budget.

    My question is for all of the seasoned stockers is, how can I be sure not to get bugs in the rice? I'd like to get a years worth of rice stockpiled. My family eats around ten pounds a month, so 120 pounds. That's a LOT of rice to lose to bug infestation. Right now I have 2 food 5 gallon buckets. I want to save my freezer to stock meat & garden vegetable, so no room for rice. What can I do to insure I don't get bugs?
    Whoo hoo Polly fantastic job!

    As for the rice, if there is any way you can put in the freezer for a brief period great ! If not I understand as I have no room either. Just put into your buckets right away , you can add a bay leaf most people do for just flour but does work for rice as well I have been told. White rice is actually so much better for long term storage you are lucky, great deal! White can store forever and not go rancid like Brown. Many do oxygen absorbers or individual gallon bags then in the bucket. I just do the bucket and have never had a problem, hope the same for you. Good job.

  12. #56
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,747
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    87

    Default

    HappyMama, is there a reason I might want to store it in the freezer for a short period? Is it to kill off anything that might be in there already?

  13. #57
    Registered User HappyMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    On a Cloud in the Midwest
    Posts
    1,946
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    HappyMama, is there a reason I might want to store it in the freezer for a short period? Is it to kill off anything that might be in there already?
    Yes! They say a short time in freezer or if in your area you have a inside porch or something that is real cold you can do what my girlfriend does and put into buckets then put out on her freezing porch ( it is about 15-20 degrees) leaves for a couple hours then brings in. Just make sure you don't get moisture, then you would get mold just a quick freeze will do it. I don't usually have room in the freezer , so do the quick porch freeze as well. When I don't have room or not call when I buy I just package right away and all stays fine.

    Here is some information on storage of rice and others:

    Brown and White Rices
    Brown and white rices store very differently. Brown rice is only expected to store for 6 months under average conditions. This is because of the essential fatty acids in brown rice. These oils quickly go rancid as they oxidize. It will store much longer if refrigerated. White rice has the outer shell removed along with those fats. Because of this, white rice ,will store longer. Hermetically sealed in the absence of oxygen, plan on a storage life for white rice of 8-10 years at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F. It should keep proportionately longer if stored at cooler temperatures. Stored in the absence of oxygen, brown rice will last longer than if it was stored in air. Plan on 1 to 2 years. It is very important to store brown rice as cool as possible, for if you can get the temperature down another ten degrees, it will double the storage life again.

    Garden Seed or Sprouting Seed
    All viable seeds are hibernating tiny living plants that only need moisture and warmth to sprout. And much like a chick in an egg, all the nutrients this little life needs to spring into existence is contained within it's shell. Like boiling an egg, heating a seed will kill that little life within it. However, unlike an egg, a seed can withstand cold temperatures. As seeds usually remain edible after the life within it dies, we must use different criteria when determining sproutable seed storage life. And again the big deciding factor is temperature. The big seed companies freeze their seed between seasons to promote long life. Of course, you can also do the same thing. Plan on a storage life of 4 years at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F. They should keep proportionately longer if stored at cooler temperatures. And remember, you want to store all of these seeds in air. Packed in nitrogen, the viability of some seeds will last longer than others. This is still to a large degree an unexplored science, and therefore we recommend you store all the seeds you plan on sprouting in air.

    Alfalfa is a unique seed as it actually germinates better if the seed is 2 or 3 years old. Most any sample of alfalfa contains 'hard' seed and 'soft' seed. Soft seed germinates within two days while hard seed germinates in about a week. The problem is, by the time the soft seed sprouts are ready to harvest, the hard seed may not have germinated yet. As storage time draws on, the hard seed turns into soft seed. Older seed germinates closer together. Stored in cool conditions, alfalfa seed should have a good percentage of germination up until it is 8 years old.

    Textured Vegetable Protein
    Textured Vegetable Protein, made from soy beans, has an unusually long storage life. Hermetically sealed in the absence of oxygen, plan on a storage life of 15-20 years at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F. TVP should keep proportionately longer if stored at cooler temperatures.

    Yeast
    Yeast, a living organism, has a relatively short storage life. Keep yeast in the original metal foil storage containers. If the seal remains intact, yeast should last 2 years at 70 degrees F. However it is strongly recommended that you refrigerate it, which should give you a storage life of 5 years. Frozen yeast should store for a long time.

    Link or source: https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/i...e_of_foods.htm

  14. #58
    Registered User Daisygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Welland, Ontario, Canada
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,506
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    I found something really cool. It is software that you can download to your computer. You can enter your food storage purchases and inventory. Then you scroll down to about line 700 or so and enter your family members. The software then calculates how many more items you need in different categories.

    My initial goal is to store enough for us to be totally self-sufficient for 2 months. I am good for grains and fats, but need more fruits, veggies and dairy. I like it because it helps me to pinpoint what I need. Once I get my two month supply, I will change the program to calculate what I need for 4 months, and so on.

    Here is the link.
    Millennium Ark: Emergency Preparedness - Welcome!
    On this page you want to go to the "Deyo Food Storage Planner."

    I think you will all like it!

  15. #59
    Registered User NikoSan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,916
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    Daisy, I'm missing the Deyo Food storage link on the page or entirely overlooking it...can you tell me where on the page about?
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

    Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

    Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

    Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

    No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

    Change Jar 2020
    $

    Christmas Fund 2020
    $

  16. #60
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,747
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    87

    Default

    Thank you HappyMama! I didn't know that about yeast. I will be putting my yeast in the freezer from now on.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What do you think about preppers???
    By 227melissa in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 08:50 PM
  2. anti-PREPPERS
    By sinopa27 in forum Preparedness and Survival
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 09:42 PM
  3. My history and current situation...where to go next
    By annakat in forum Dave Ramsey
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 01:41 PM
  4. Do you 'network' with other Preppers?
    By Kacidee in forum Preparedness and Survival
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 01:33 AM
  5. Our Current Family Situation (Long)
    By dolphin in forum Family
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •