What did you do today to prep? - Page 2
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Since last post...not much except add a few things to stockpile. Very few. I want a minimum of 6 months and prefer a year. ( who dosen't ) I

figure if by some chance we DO lose the business we will have at least 6 months of unemployment on his part. Even tho we own the business and are self employed we put him on payroll with a payroll company with unemployment taken out. If we lose it at that point he could sign up for Social Security which would take 6 months and start at the time unemployment could possibly run out.

I'm back to work at the business this time ( YAY!!! ) and on payroll ( bigger YAY!!! ) but not long enough to do unemployment yet.

So seriously praying for the best and preparing for the worst. 6 months is a have to....a year is a want. First things first. List is still being made as necessary things are on top priority and others only if REALLY reasonable. I even have a list of things to start envelopes for. I need a list of the lists to make/made!
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love this thread! Yesterday at the store I bought tons of sale "about to perish" perishibles, and today I will be processing them for the dehydrator. I have a 4 tray unit, so it might take a bit to get it all dehydrated, but well worth it in my opinion!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well today "Big Lot" is having a friends and family sale. So I went to town to take advantage of it. I got gloves (jersey, railroad,gardening,work gloves). I got garden tools and garden hose. I also bought some groceries while they were 20% off I wish I could have bought a whole lot more but just do not have the funds for it. As it was I spent $85 which is a lot for me to let go of at one time. LOL
    Yesterday I went to Dollar General and they had some Hefty trash bags marked down and I had some coupons so I bought all they had which was 12 boxes of 33 large black drawstring trash bags. I spent $24 on trash bags but I won't have to buy trash bags again for quite a while and it would have normally cost me $72 for that many trash bags.
    I also made a trip to the Amish store and bought some bulk foods.
    I am spending so much right now but I am feeling like with all the inflation talk that I am saving overall. I am still paying down the debt while prepping and only buying items with cash.
    Now I am going to go in and start to rearrange my pantry and take inventory.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL...ok so i know that chocolate is not really a preparation item...but at .99 cents a bag for toll house choc chips...i couldn't resist...soooooooo... 10 bags in the baking supplies bin now... hey...choc is important....RIGHT?????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfoster View Post
    LOL...ok so i know that chocolate is not really a preparation item...but at .99 cents a bag for toll house choc chips...i couldn't resist...soooooooo... 10 bags in the baking supplies bin now... hey...choc is important....RIGHT?????
    Absolutely! They are now saying it puts you in a better mood/frame of mind...and heaven knows, we all need to be in a better frame of mind!
    Darker the chocolate ( my personal fave ) the better. I love the Bakers Chocolate baking bars...used to keep a small stash hidden. Break off a square at a time and go hide...ah, those were the days.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfoster View Post
    With this threat of civil war in the ivory coast which is where the cocoa comes from and talk is that the price is going to go up up up. I think you did great getting chocolate chips for .99.
    When I am prepping I plan on having some creature comforts for holidays and special occasions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    planted tomato, cabbage, peppers, cauliflower indoors in recycled milk jugs.
    Great idea! I'll have to save the next several milk jugs that we empty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Put together a disaster supplies spreadsheet detailing what is needed and what quantities. I will be continuing to fine tune this and then working to build up a better supply. Currently I would say we have about 2 months food supply (although granted towards the end we might be getting some pretty funky meals LOL). I want to get it up to 6-12 months supply, but of course with hubby being out of work that is a challenge.

I will be starting seeds this week. I am going to be more focused with preserving my harvest this year. Every year I have been getting better at it. I also have the option to get a 20 x 40' plot (with water piped to the plots, a tiller available for rental for $7 an hour and free compost!) for $5 for the season at work. I might just take them up on that this year. Previously I have wanted to focus on growing the food in my own yard, but that would allow me to grow much more this year.

This weekend I canned a dozen jars each of Lemon Prune Honey Butter and Citrus Marmalade. Next month my friend and I plan to can soups in the pressure cooker.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to take inventory of my stockpile and from there determine what I need. I know that during July and August I'll be laid off and resume work beginning of Sept but won't see a paycheque until end of Sept. So, I need to prepare for that and get my ducks in order so to speak.

Aside from food items, I want to start stockpiling other things as well, such as medical supplies, kitty litter/pet food, heirloom seeds (trying to convince dbf to dig up some of our backyard for a small garden but doesn't like the thought of 'ruining' the lawn *sigh*), duct tape, a solar powered battery charger, cleaners, bleach, water, etc. I would like a solar cooker but can't see it working too great in -43 C. weather conditions I also want an outdoor firepit built in our backyard (he moans at the suggestion of a garden but mention a firepit and his caveman tendencies come out with a gleeful grunt! lol)
    I'd like to stock up on some propane for the bbq. Bug repellant, sunblock.
    I'd like to make some homemade jam and learn how to do canning. I also want a food dehydrator.I'd love to learn how to make beef jerky and pemmican.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dealt with my sprouty potatoes, got my carrot seeds in the mail. Have lettuce seeds sprouting in the kitchen, and have more seeds to sprout, some for malt, others just to eat as "cheap" winter greens.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some more frosting buckets today. I stored the following in them:
    Pasta
    Rice
    Beans

I bought some fruit producing items today which would be 40 strawberry roots & 2 raspberry plants.

I also got some asparagus roots.

Looked at the baby chicks can not wait till I get mine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I killed off my tiny EF today at Costco. It probably was not the best monetary decision but there were some unbelievable deals. I didn't get nearly as much as I wanted to! I got:

~ 8 cans tomato paste
    ~ humongous can of fruit salad
    ~ big bag of clearance apples for drying
    ~ big bag of clearance bananas for drying and pureeing for baked goods
    ~ orange juice
    ~ 2 jugs of lemon juice
    ~ 100 garbage bags
    ~ 3 bags of pierogies

The good news is that I didn't need any week-to-week food except for milk! My stockpile is finally functional!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I added to the stockpile.
    3 lbs hamburger
    about 10 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts $1.79 lb
    2 cans Manwich $1 each
    2 big peppers which I will dice and freeze

Included in other groceries were 3lb onions which will last awhile. Think I'm going to fry up some of the hamburger, peppers and onions and have them already fixed as we use alot of that and freeze it.

Challenges
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Niko ~ here is a recipe off my old blog that freezes really well for the meat, onions and peppers.

Ground meat:

1 pound of ground whatever ( lean beef, chicken breast or turkey breast)
    1/4 cup diced onion and peppers
    2 cloves of minced garlic
    chili powder to taste
    1/2 can of tomato paste
    1 tbsp brown sugar

Saute veggies in a bit of olive oil. Add meat and cook until browned. Add chili powder, salt and sugar, and stir in tomato paste. Thin with water if necessary. Cook for a couple of minutes until blended.

This mixture is good for a quick taco filling, spaghetti sauce, or chili. It is also good stirred into rice and topped with salsa for an all in one dish.

It freezes really well - I just put it into single serving ziplock bags.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    I added to the stockpile.
    3 lbs hamburger
    about 10 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts $1.79 lb
    2 cans Manwich $1 each
    2 big peppers which I will dice and freeze

Included in other groceries were 3lb onions which will last awhile. Think I'm going to fry up some of the hamburger, peppers and onions and have them already fixed as we use alot of that and freeze it.

You could make some more freezer meals to make it easier on yourself.. just with some of the items you purchased I have made Chili,Taco meat,Meatballs,Sloppy joes, meatloaf..(not cooked)Stuffed peppers but instead I layer the peppers like a casserole.. already cooked in my freezer right now..With the Chicken breast i have made (already cooked) Chicken Marsala,Chicken parm..not cooked...Chicken tender's..HTH's...
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast